Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

No. 1 Amazon bestseller: 266 blank pages on why to vote Democrat

https://www.amazon.com/Reasons-Vote-.../dp/1543024971

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/09/us/book-best-seller-trnd/

(CNN)Looking for a quick vacation read? It doesn't get any quicker than Michael J. Knowles' "Reasons To Vote For Democrats" -- all of the pages are blank.
    Knowles is a Yale graduate and correspondent for the Daily Wire, a conservative website. He self-published the book, which contains only headers and a bibliography, along with 266 empty pages. The book, a clear attempt to troll Democrats, has set the internet on fire and vaulted to the No. 1 bestseller spot on Amazon.
    "What's really great about this book, you can go cover to cover in about 15, 20 seconds," Knowles said on "Fox & Friends" Thursday.

The book's Amazon page touts it as "the most exhaustively researched and coherently argued Democrat Party apologia to date."
    "'Reasons To Vote For Democrats: A Comprehensive Guide' is a political treatise sure to stand the test of time," the description reads. "A must-have addition to any political observer's coffee table."
    It ends with a one-word review from conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro: "Thorough."
    "It took a very long time to research this book," Knowles said. "When I observed their record and reasons to vote for them -- on reasons of economics or foreign policy or homeland security or civil rights and so on -- I realized it was probably best to just leave all the pages blank."
    A similar work for the opposite side of the political spectrum debuted back in November. David King's "Why Trump Deserves Trust, Respect & Admiration," another book of blank pages, is currently rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
    "Despite years of research, we could not find anything to say on this subject, so please feel free to use this book for notes," the description reads. One of the top comments calls the book "insightful and inspired."
    Pretty creative way to make a quick buck (even if they just copied the Trump book it was re-branded and marketed better). Didn't read about the Trump book in November I wonder if it sold as many copies, it has 1/3 the comments so doesn't seem likely.

Here's a link to the Trump book if anyone wants to buy it https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Deserve.../dp/1540743225

This is pretty strong evidence that people will pay cash money to signal their virtue to their in-group. What other reason could there possibly be to buy this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is pretty strong evidence that people will pay cash money to signal their virtue to their in-group. What other reason could there possibly be to buy this?
    Piss of your political friends?

Otherwise, yeah. The book is pointless outside of novelty.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    If you do that to piss of your "friends" they are probably not your friends to begin with?

[edit:] tease maybe but piss of especially in the us climate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

Otherwise, yeah. The book is pointless outside of novelty.
    Does it really even piss anyone off? Maybe I don't know enough people that are party loyal or something. Most of my good friends are very left-wing, but if I had that sitting on the coffee table, I wouldn't get any kind of trolly chuckle out of them picking it up. I'm pretty sure they'd just be like, "why the fuck did you buy this?". No one's going to be "axxxxxxxxxxtuallllllly there are REALLY GOOD REASONS TO VOTE DEMOCRAT".

7+ Year Old Account
    Tbh nice troll 8.5/10. But lol on people actually spending money on it (and what a waste of paper). People just like to spend money. Wasn't it not that long ago the company behind cards against humanity was selling a pile of shit in a box.

People bought that...I see no difference
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

The shit con men can get conservatives to spend money on to "own the libs" never ceases to amaze. Whole industry of snake oil salesmen built up around that political wing.

I was thinking of giving some to people just to piss them off.... i'm probably just an ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki Treehorn View Post
    I was thinking of giving some to people just to piss them off.... i'm probably just an ass though.
    That doesn't really work though, right? From a few angles. The most obvious is that it literally doesn't make anyone mad. What kind of rage monster gets a borderline retarded joke and gets genuinely mad about it?

That aside, why would anyone spend money trying to make people mad?

I guess I don't get it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The shit con men can get conservatives to spend money on to "own the libs" never ceases to amaze. Whole industry of snake oil salesmen built up around that political wing.
    To be fair there is a link to a book of empty pages on why the trump administration deserves respect.

Not a right/less right issue it would seem

Deleted
    That's a good book! Well written

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    To be fair there is a link to a book of empty pages on why the trump administration deserves respect.

I mean yeah of course there is nonsense like this targeting the left too, but the right has been far more fertile ground. Fake political action groups, gold buying scams, "doomsday food stores" etc etc.

There was an article on this, let me see if I can dig it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Reasons-Vote-.../dp/1543024971

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/09/us/book-best-seller-trnd/

Pretty creative way to make a quick buck (even if they just copied the Trump book it was re-branded and marketed better). Didn't read about the Trump book in November I wonder if it sold as many copies, it has 1/3 the comments so doesn't seem likely.

Here's a link to the Trump book if anyone wants to buy it https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Deserve.../dp/1540743225
    How is it creative to just blatantly steal someone else's idea?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Eh can't find it. No surprise, the key words here are kind of flooded in the Age of Trump, but here's National Review touching on the same topic.

many of these organizations would spend a grand total of ten percent of their incomes on funding candidates, with 90 percent dedicated to more fundraising and ever-higher activist salaries.

15+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of the band on Spotify who put silent/no music on a track to make money off of it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

As French notes, this grift industry directly contributes to the ludicrous state of the GOP primary process. Dead eyed bottom feeders like Caron and Huckabee smell the money.

Just leave a copy laying on a table in a crowded library and walk away. Watch what happens from a distance.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post

But nobody would buy it.

Know your audience.

Does it really even piss anyone off? Maybe I don't know enough people that are party loyal or something. Most of my good friends are very left-wing, but if I had that sitting on the coffee table, I wouldn't get any kind of trolly chuckle out of them picking it up. I'm pretty sure they'd just be like, "why the fuck did you buy this?". No one's going to be "axxxxxxxxxxtuallllllly there are REALLY GOOD REASONS TO VOTE DEMOCRAT".
    I'm not saying it'd be massively successful. But, the existence of people that took a frog as a symbol of white nationalism means, statistically speaking, someone would fall for this weak joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Just leave a copy laying on a table in a crowded library and walk away. Watch what happens from a distance.
    Except almost anyone who is invested enough to care would know who Ben Shapiro is and realize it is a troll before they even open it up.