Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Do you?

crock pots?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I think that a lot of middle-class American homes find it unconsciously trendy to have a kettle on the stove 24-hours a day as decoration... because of the consumer compulsion to fill empty space.

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Americans don't drink tea.
    most dont drink "hot" tea, people prefer the cold version

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to throw one out here that is probably going to horrify you "proper" tea drinkers. First, I'm American...coffee before tea anytime, although on a cold day a cup of (microwaved) tea is nice. But...with summer a few months away it reminds me of the best tea maker ever. A gallon glass jar filled with cold water, a few of your favorite tea bags...and yes...good ol solar power.....the sun. Sun tea is the best! Let it sit in the sun until you get the desired strength you like....sure it may take hours, but who cares? Throw it in the fridge to chill, fill a tall glass with ice, and pour....most excellent!

have one sitting on my island all the time.

Yep, I do. Love me some tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both my parents and I have electric kettles, but we also each consume 3 to 4 cups of tea per day. Most of my friends and other family don't drink much tea and don't have much use for an electric kettle. I use my electric kettle more than my toaster and microwave combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Do you?

I had to google to see what this even was. No, we don't do that, lol. We use a pot on the stove, the micro, or have a boiling water tap in the kitchen sink.

I think the real key here, is that we don't drink tea, for the most part.

They're ubiquitous in Australian and British homes so the idea that they're rare and you use microwaves or those old fashioned stovetop kettles is actually astonishing to us.

Personally I don't drink coffee or tea so I rarely use mine, but my wife does.

Want to hear something else weird? I can't remember ever seeing a plunger in an Australian home. Our toilets almost never block. I had never experienced it until I moved to this suburb, where a lot of shitty old houses are built with really narrow pipes. So it's happened once in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I was under the impression that they were quite slow and unpopular in America due to the 120V power supply.
    Apparently it takes almost twice as long. But it's not really that long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I got one of these bad boys a few months ago. Don't see the point of electric, fewer parts, fewer problems.

In Australia those non-electric kettles are antiques that old ladies have, or you might find in a country cabin on holiday or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Recyclebin View Post
    BLANK doesn't do BLANK is always a factually incorrect statement. My moms as American as they come (born again christian ("Jesus is my salvation") Republican and everything) and shes obsessed with tea of all varieties from all over the world. I personally dont like it... but that has nothing to do with my home land. Also..... Boston tea party anyone?
    It's called a generalisation: BLANK doesn't do BLANK isn't supposed to mean absolutely no BLANKS do BLANK.

Also back then Americans were Englishmen :P

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    People use kettles for coffee now, too?
    It's common for people who don't have coffee machines (which until maybe the 90s were considered luxury items in the house) to use kettles to make instant coffee.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-03-12 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    The same could EASILY be said about you. In fact you're far worse. You're not thinking things through logically. Your only good argument is that a kettle is a minor convenience. That's not a good argument to convince anyone to buy something.
    That's because I am not trying to convince you to buy anything. I have written pages trying to explain this, but you just don't seem to get it. I never sought an argument with you, I was simply trying to share a perspective you asked about. You have decided to turn it into an argument, despite the fact I keep on telling you it isn't.

Also, what perspective do I need to understand? That you're highly biased? Your experience with an electric kettle? I've owned them. Your experience isn't going to be different than mine...
    Yes because everyone is the same. /s

People have different perspectives on things based on different things. You arguing that only an idiot would want to own an electric kettle is a bit like arguing that only an idiot would like strawberry milkshakes.

We're both potentially "right" in terms of the choices we make with respect to what works best for us. What makes you "wrong" is that you cannot accept this.

I've just come to the realization, by observing reality, that they aren't that great and other things that do just as well are better to have around.
    By observing your subjective reality. Which means that for you this is true. Other people have a different subjective reality. For them a kettle works well. Now it's fine that you find it strange that other people should find value in something in which you find none, and it's fine to query that. What isn't fine is for you to tell people they are wrong or stupid because you fail to understand their context. That is your shortcoming

I'd never buy another one because they are a one trick pony that don't do anything special to begin with.
    Good for you. Do what works for you, I'll do what works for me. It doesn't make me less of a person just because you do things differently. What makes you less of person is that you are completely unwilling to try and understand how it is that I might do things differently to you (and not just because I'm some kind of moron)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Myth busters kinda contradict that page.

They had to use distilled water as any tap water was too impure to not boil.
    So what? That isn't contradicting anything, it's simply confirming it. As the dude says at 1:24 (paraphrasing):

"On an average day in an average house, it's not very likely. However, with the hundreds of millions of people using microwaves everyday, to boil water, reboil water, I'd say it can happen a few times a year. Myth ABSOLUTELY TRUE"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Takes a fair bit longer, most electric kettles have a twisted heating elemental, so you get a much faster boil. Similar situation with using a pot on the stove.
    I have an induction range my tea kettle boils in about 15 seconds. Big pasta pot boils in about 45 seconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do Americans celebrate easter?
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

I don't get it. Why would I have an electric kettle? I need boiling water for two things: Cooking something that requires boiling water, or making coffee. In the first case, I boil the water on the stove, live a civilized person from the modern era, and not some backwater savage that uses an electric kettle! And in the second case, I have a coffee machine machine to brew coffee which is completely and totally different from an electric kettle for...reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Most Americans drink coffee, not tea. A coffee-maker can be used to boil water. Extra appliance not necessary. I have a "hot pot" that gets the job done... it is effectively similar.
    True.
    The coffee machine also makes tea, if you change the ingredient.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    err... yeah?
    What's the question relating to?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Because they live in the West?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I mean... doesnt everyone?
    Gas here, although electric kettles/ovens are becoming more and more prevalent in Europe these days (you can't even buy a decent oven in the UK anymore, they stopped making them).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    They do. They're ranked number 70 according to Wikipedia. Would be much higher if it was sweet tea, though

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ion_per_capita
    Lighthearted explanation, probably with a whole lot of truth attached:

Redcoats in the village
    There's fighting in the streets
    The Indians and the mountain men, well
    They are talking when they meet
    The king has said he's gonna put a tax on tea
    And that's the reason you all Americans drink coffee..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    Boil water in a microwave? I have heard it all.

I have a electric kettle, use it all the time to boil water.

15+ Year Old Account
    Electric kettle is just too convenient to not have. Quickest way to boil, automatically stops heat when it gets to the right temperature, and super easy to handle.

Microwaving water just sounds weird..

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Lighthearted explanation, probably with a whole lot of truth attached:

Redcoats in the village
    There's fighting in the streets
    The Indians and the mountain men, well
    They are talking when they meet
    The king has said he's gonna put a tax on tea
    And that's the reason you all Americans drink coffee..
    My wife has never liked coffee. She drinks tea every day and has for a long time. And she is a country girl from Kentucky. Myself, I like coffee. But tea is ok if it is ice cold , dark and sweet.