Thread: New Laptop

New Laptop

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop. It comes with an I5 7300 2.5ghz processor, a nvidia 1050 gpu, and 8gigs of DDR4 memory. I did not need anything flashy just something that I could play warcraft and other blizzard games on when i wasn't at home. I'm not sure if i got a defective product or not but it seems to have issues with warcraft. I was expecting to play on slightly less than high settings and play at 50 to 60fps, but to pull 45-50fps I have the settings closer to low. I also had to force the video card to be active for all programs because it just wanted to let the intel built in video handle everything. After doing this the fans on the laptop seem to be in overdrive when logged into warcraft. Does anyone have any experience with this laptop? I was hoping for a bit more considering my nephew got an Asus laptop with very similar specs (i5 6200, nvidia 960gpu) and he runs around at 60fps+ on high settings in the open world, raids at 50fps, and his laptop is much quieter.

1. Did you get thermal paste applied to the GPU?
    2. Is the airflow ok? Are you blocking the vents?
    3. How warm is it in your room?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

1. I assumed the processor would already have thermal paste when manufactured.
    2. Yes airflow is very good
    3. I keep my house at 68 degrees in the winter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    1. Did you get thermal paste applied to the GPU?
    Is this optional?

10+ Year Old Account
    " I also had to force the video card to be active for all programs because it just wanted to let the intel built in video handle everything."

that bugged me reading that. i always thought onboard videos shut off when you plugged in a card (lap or desktop i assumed the same). can you maybe turn off the intel in the bios?

I thought about that too. When I know when you add a video card to a PC the card takes over and the onboard video is shut down. I wasn,t sure about the laptop. I thought with everything being built together the card would only be active during times when a video card would be used all other instances the cpu would hand the video. I almost disabled the cpu video in the device manager but I didn't want to take a chance on damaging the system because I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Is this optional?
    Actually when you order a computer from xoticpc, you have the option of no paste, paste on the cpu only, or paste on both. I assume its for people who want to use their own solution.

- - - Updated - - -

They could have also misapplied the paste, forgot the paste, or there is a mechanical problem with the airflow. Maybe you have a defective laptop.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.