Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New WoW (or new game) - A Raiding MOBA?

Hello, this is something I have been thinking of a lot. Before I present my thoughts and ideas, PLEASE, use civil language and explain why you are against it. Keep it as a discussion! Anyway

I have been playing WoW since Vanilla and I though the game peaked at Cataclysm. Nowadays I mostly play to raid and most aspects of the game I don't enjoy at all. I got my eyes open for other games such as Overwatch, which was refreshing on the FPS market, even though the Competitive system is the worst gaming has ever seen. Still, being able to pick a hero and "main" it in an FPS was really cool and if you get bored you can pick a new main easily.

For WoW, I have always played a Rogue as a main. I though of re-rolling but it's too hard for someone who can play 1-2 hours a day. If you disregard things as achievements, reputations etc, collectables that are not account wide (achieves are not really accwide since you can re-earn them and get "earned by text"), and only look at what you must do to re-roll it takes a lot. I have to level a character to 110, gear him up to 900 item level equipped (to match my Rogue), get two decent legendaries and get my weapons to 45+ to match my Rogue. That is crazy much effort just to swap class. And if I get bored of that character I must do ALL this again. If I want to play all classes, can you imagine how long it takes to level 12 chars to 110 (even tho I have some at 100) gear them to 900 and level Artifact etc. It's simply not humane to do.

So what I would LOVE to have is what I call a Raiding MOBA option. You see I love raiding but I have grown to really dislike everything else about this mmo. I don't care at all about leveling, questing, lore, story, economy, exploring or anything other than actual gameplay in raids. Everything pre-raid is just a mean to an end for me, it feels like unnecessary and a waste of time. So I would love an addition, maybe special servers or something with like this:

1. You pick a class.
    2. You design the appearance and give it a name. Both hairstyles etc as well as transmog appearance.
    3. You are done. There are no levels, no gear and nothing else that define you. If you pick a hunter, you are equal to all other hunters.
    4. You get into some kind of lobby-menu, like in OW or CS:GO. You can queue for raids or group up with friends. You select the difficulty you want to raid.
    5. You can of course hot-key all abilities your class have, just like now, to customize your gameplay. You don't have any gear so no trinkets or anything else, just the abilities of your class.
    6. Once you queue you get into a raid. Everyone of same class are equal, and your ability to kill bosses are only based on skill and team-play.
    7. If you get bored, you can log out and just create another class. You will be raid-ready and able to re-queue in minutes.
    8. You can queue for raids, dungeons or PvP. Rated and non-rated.

Basically this would be a HoTS or OW version of WoW, that takes out everything that is not end game and actual content. No more leveling, grinding, gearing etc. Full focus on raids dungeons or pvp areas. EASY and FAST reroll if you want to change class.

Obviously this won't replace regular WoW, but why not make such "MOBA servers" for WoW? I can't be the only one who love Raiding and PvPing but hate gearing and leveling.

Ideas?

If you don't like the idea, please explain WHY it would be harmful to have this as an OPTION to regular WoW.
    Last edited by Battlebeard; 2017-03-13 at 02:25 PM.

Deleted
    Kinda like the tournament server for PVP then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trvpz View Post
    Kinda like the tournament server for PVP then?
    Yes, kind of, that is a pretty good example. But for Raids etc too, and you don't have any gear or special trinkets etc like I imagine you have on such tournament servers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Yes, kind of, that is a pretty good example. But for Raids etc too, and you don't have any gear or special trinkets etc like I imagine you have on such tournament servers?
    Yeah on the tournament server you pick your race and class and it created a maxlevel toon for you with that seasons gearset. The only things you could buy/choose were enchants (and gems) iirc.

I like it for PvP, but taking the progression away from raiding is imo too much of a core feature you are taking a way. What would you raid for? Normally you raid for gear progression, in your game we would be progressing for the story in PvE?

Being forced through hots now for the mount. No way in hell should blizzard EVER make a moba again. Deffinately not something like you try to say here.
    Hots must be one of the worst games i have ever played. And ontop of that, you want to remove character progression. Char growth. The main force pushing players to keep playing

They should make a new improved version of wow. a wow 2.0 if you may. In either the starcraft or diablo universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Being forced through hots now for the mount. No way in hell should blizzard EVER make a moba again. Deffinately not something like you try to say here.
    Hots must be one of the worst games i have ever played. And ontop of that, you want to remove character progression. Char growth. The main force pushing players to keep playing

They should make a new improved version of wow. a wow 2.0 if you may. In either the starcraft or diablo universe.
    Lol nobody "forced" you to play HotS

Your idea of char growth also doesn't work when you look at games like LoL that are insanely popular and still keep getting new players. "char growth" is not necessary if the gameplay doesn't call for it. Some sort of system (ranking, rewards) sure but "char growth" is not necessary.
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-03-13 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Lol nobody "forced" you to play HotS
    if he wants the mount he is, sure it's a choice but if you're a mount collector, there's very little choice, do HoTS or lose a +1, the later means you're not really a mount collector after all.

i did level 20 for the graves pet wow that was a grind of like 80+ games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    if he wants the mount he is, sure it's a choice but if you're a mount collector, there's very little choice, do HoTS or lose a +1, the later means you're not really a mount collector after all.

i did level 20 for the graves pet wow that was a grind of like 80+ games.
    Again, you are never "forced" to do anything. The decision is up to you. People need to stop throwing the word "forced" around.

"Raiding MOBA" really isn't the best way to describe it, I think.
    It makes me think of a game with MOBA-like controls and camera angles that happens to have PvE and Raiding (So, basicly, Diablo-like games).

Either way, personally I don't think that would work in WoW even as separate servers or something. I do understand for some people it's all about raiding and everything else is just a means to an end - it kinda is to me also, currently. And while sometimes I do wish it would be faster/easier to try out a new class in an actual raid scenario with reasonable gear before commiting to it, I don't think it would really work or benefit the game in the long term.

Simply because sometimes it's very hard to process and understand these things, and it's very likely that, even though we think we don't want it (all the "MMO" aspects of the game outside the raids), they're the glue that help us stay interested, invested and wanting to play in the long term, even without us realizing it.

Even excluding that possibility, I think WoW simply doesn't have enough raiding content output to support such a mode. Sure, you can just pick a new class and do it all again, but you can only do that so many times, sooner or later it will be boring anyway until the next raid releases.

With a new game completly I suppose it could work, it kind of makes me think of Vindictus, actually. For WoW? Not in my opinion. Especially not with a subscription model. I think it's one of the reasons why, for instance, all the long-lasting and more popular WoW private servers seem to be the most blizz-like, and not the "fun servers" with similar features that you describe. Raiding is fun, without the rest of the game giving context, meaning and glueing it all together, it just isn't the same thing for the majority of players.

Deleted
    hey should make a new improved version of wow. a wow 2.0 if you may. In either the starcraft or diablo universe.

I would play a lot of World of Starcraft, rest of your comment didn't make a lot of sense though.

Again, you are never "forced" to do anything. The decision is up to you. People need to stop throwing the word "forced" around.
    good luck with your dream, people call playing a game a "grind" around here, i've seen doing basically anything in WoW as a "grind" so yeh let's call this forced, it's clearly how things work around here, you're "forced" to do "everything" in wow and it's all a "grind"

so you want heroes of the storm kinda sounds like what you just described

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    good luck with your dream, people call playing a game a "grind" around here, i've seen doing basically anything in WoW as a "grind" so yeh let's call this forced, it's clearly how things work around here, you're "forced" to do "everything" in wow and it's all a "grind"
    It's unfortunate and nothing new to the WoW community so yeah probably is a futile effort on my part.

Hots must be one of the worst games i have ever played.
    I mean, I will probably agree that Hots is not the best MOBA out there, but if it's true that it's one of the worst games you've ever played, you must not've played many games. Or you're confusing personal opinion with any kind of objective perception of quality. A game isn't "bad" because you don't like it =P

And I "love" people like you who (if you do happen to make such silly comment son a regular basis) who seem to always rate everything as either "worst thing ever" or "best thing ever". No nuance, no pros and cons, just great or horrible.

Well you're not forced to work or eat or sleep either, you could just die and go to hell.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah nice equivalency there. A mount is on the same level as eating and sleeping lol

Deleted
    Yeah nice equivalency there. A mount is on the same level as eating and sleeping lol
    Shh for some neckbeards it is

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I mean, I will probably agree that Hots is not the best MOBA out there, but if it's true that it's one of the worst games you've ever played, you must not've played many games. Or you're confusing personal opinion with any kind of objective perception of quality. A game isn't "bad" because you don't like it =P

And I "love" people like you who (if you do happen to make such silly comment son a regular basis) who seem to always rate everything as either "worst thing ever" or "best thing ever". No nuance, no pros and cons, just great or horrible.
    But i did write the worst game _I_ have ever played tho. Not that it was the worst game out there.

And to fullfill your other need. I thought it was crap due to the terrible camera movement. Zoomed in way to close. Heroes you started with was all boring. The skills felt underwhelming even with the talents. But my main issue was the camera and the zoom.
    And for me. When you keep playing a game and you spend ages on it. And you sit back with no character growth, no power creep, you restart everytime you play (not counting cosmetics) It just feels like a waste of time. Also why i stopped playing counter strike after 5 years and started with battlefield instead. Atleast you unlock shit for your hard work. Might be borderline cosmetic aswell. But attachments and accessories does alter your gameplay. Often for the better.

But all in all. I love rpg games because i feel my character grows from the effort i put into it. Not playing for hours just to sit at the same point as i where before i started.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Imo don't need another blizz moba, we have HotS and a shooter with moba-like classes.

Would much rather see a new warcraft RTS with warcraft 3 style gameplay.

They could add so many units/buildings/abilities with updated WoW lore (WoW/Chronicle/Hearthstone etc etc.).

Multiplayer doesn't have to be Lore Canon, as it never was anyway.

Starcraft 2 with last expansion is still very recent but the gameplay always had different pacing/micro compared to warcraft 3.

With a powerful editor we can even see many tower defense/grunt vs footman/hero defense/or Dota maps in Custom play
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-03-13 at 03:17 PM.

The challenge/Adventure of raiding is tied up with character progression... you remove that why should ppl do raids?