Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Because if you are going to make the punishment extremely harsh to the possible crime, there is a chance you will get it wrong do to lies.

In the example above he used some extreme punishment. Liars should also get similar extreme punishment for the false claims.

Just like having a harsh punishment will deter the crime. Harsh punishment for lying about it will deter that as well.
    Punishment should be proportional to the crime and injuries it causes. One is far worse than the other. So punishing them the same is senseless.

We're living in a really weird time when people flip out at simple statements of common sense and fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Punishment should be proportional to the crime and injuries it causes. One is far worse than the other. So punishing them the same is senseless.
    I disagree to some extent here. A liar in the example above would have their victim castrated. Mutilated and sterile for lies told.

I have no problems that a liar in something similar be punished in the same way as they hoped would befall their victim.

It would deter lying about rape and the repercussions of that and deter raping the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    We're living in a really weird time when people flip out at simple statements of common sense and fact.
    No kidding. ^

I disagree.
    You'd be wrong about the severity of the act regardless of disagreement. Raping someone is always worse than falsely accusing someone of it.

That doesn't warrant any generalization of men. The vast majority of men are not rapists.
    Potential rapists, though. A woman can never know whether a man might rape her or not, as rapists come in all shapes of men. Aggressive, meek, young, old, any race, stranger, friend, family.

Louis CK said it best when he compared women dating men to meeting a lion or bear.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    saying that if your drunk you make yourself a target is not a lie for either sex, same as walking down the street counting your cash after leaving an ATM makes you a target. its not victim blaming its warning that doing A makes you a target for B. it should still be reported and prosecuted much harsher than it often is.
    This. If you leave your doors unlocked at night and get robbed, the police aren't going to ignore the crime, but they might say "Maybe you should have locked the doors"

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Potential rapists, though. A woman can never know whether a man might rape her or not, as rapists come in all shapes of men. Aggressive, meek, young, old, any race, stranger, friend, family.

Louis CK said it best when he compared women dating men to meeting a lion or bear.
    You're paranoid and sexist if you think all men are potential rapists.

I feel like you're gender profiling, and this offends me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Victim blaming actually does excuse in part some of the perpetrators guilt as you are in fact putting a part of the blame onto the victim.

Also I wouldn't be mocking peoples IQ if I were you. You cannot even construct a logical debate to retort my statements. You just launch into a personal attack because I don't share your bigoted veiw.
    I wouldn't say the judge is victim blaming in any way. They are stating facts that drunk people are more likely to be targetted because they give less of a fight. I would say the issue isn't that they get drunk though it is more a question about where they are when they get drunk.

Something worse needs to happen to offenders as long as the false claims carry the same(or similar enough) punishment for the liars.
    Perjury is already a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Gonna borrow that analogy.

Saying that a good policy is making sure your door is locked, just in case, wouldn't be "victim blaming". Same here; pointing out that taking steps to protect yourself from being victimized isn't "victim blaming".

If someone's robbed and they didn't lock their door, though, implying that them choosing not to lock their door is in any way responsible for the crime is "victim blaming". The fault is 100% that of the thief's. They're the ones responsible for the occurrence of the crime, not their victim.

That can be a fine line to draw.
    Yeah, this is the problem right here. These common sense (rofl) suggestions lead to rapists getting away with their crimes because judges and society blame women and show sympathy to the criminal scum. Or getting shorter sentences.

You'd be wrong about the severity of the act regardless of disagreement. Raping someone is always worse than falsely accusing someone of it.
    Really? They're about the same since both of the emotionally scar someone and false accusations ruin a person's public life.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Really? They're about the same since both of the emotionally scar someone and false accusations ruin a person's public life.
    No, they're not about the same.

You're paranoid and sexist if you think all men are potential rapists.
    Sure, but how can women know which is which? There is no way to tell. So until proven all are Schrödinger's rapist.

infracted - forbidden topics
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-03-14 at 11:58 PM.

Sure, but how can woman know which is which? There is no way to tell. So until proven all are Schrödinger's rapist.
    That's what's called paranoia and sexism. You should probably get some help if you think all men are rapists.

Perjury is already a crime.

Yeah, this is the problem right here. These common sense (rofl) suggestions lead to rapists getting away with their crimes. Or getting shorter sentences.
    No one is suggesting people get away with crimes(rofl right back at your dumb insinuation). The fact is there are bad people in the world. I'm sure the victim is all woe is me and yet most people when something horrible happens tend to(or should still) consider what they could have personally done to prevent it.

But no, let's as has been said take away all personal responsibility and see how much crime goes up.

In the hypothetical example we are using I'm not so sure. You punish an innocent person to that extent as well as it being irreversible, that is equally damaging to me if not more. Lying should be equally deterred with equal punishment should you lie about it. The repercussions are to drastic.

Probably why it's not actually happening today. To many liars. a simple lie these days can ruin anyone. Thats damaging on many levels just as rape is. Make the punishment severe and irreversible and things get even worse.

No, they're not about the same.
    Yes they are. You can sit and say no baselessly until you're blue in the face, but they both have huge impacts on that person for the rest of their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Yeah, its not about right or wrong, its about steps you can take to protect yourself.

I honestly don't understand how a woman can feel so secure in her surroundings that she's willing to get blackout drunk and not feel any responsibility for her wellbeing. Even excluding the rape factor, as a man, I'm reluctant to overly intoxicate myself out of concern for making myself a target of other violent crimes & thefts.

Heck, even excluding the crime factor entirely, what's to stop me from passing out and drowning in my own vomit?

But oh no... suggesting that maybe you shouldn't drink so much you drown in your own vomit is a bad idea.... THATS VICTIM BLAMING!!!!!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but how can women know which is which? There is no way to tell. So until proven all are Schrödinger's rapist.
    Hmm, maybe we should apply this logic to other groups of people, like African-american people. You cannot know which is which. Schrödinger's thug.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Yes they are. You can sit and say no baselessly until you're blue in the face, but they both have huge impacts on that person for the rest of their life.
    No, in the cases I know about where someone was raped the community turned against her because the guy was supposedly an angel who wouldn't hurt a fly. And he actually did rape people. She was just a lying bitch according to them. So not only were she raped but then the community treats her like someone that falsely accused the rapist.

People are way too forgiving to rapists and doubt the victims because the rapist doesn't fit their stereotype of who or what a rapist is like. I don't expect people would look kindly upon someone who is falsely accusing given how they react to actual instances of rape.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-14 at 08:50 PM.