Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Are Facebook taking animal cruelty seriously enough?

I would have thought that cruelty to animals would be against their TOS, yet videos like this are still up after a year? What gives?

Have you ever been in a situation where you saw something horrible on FB, reported it, but nothing was done about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my... Once he started spraying flames I couldn't watch any more! That is pure cruelty, no matter that rats are considered pests and carry diseases. If he really wanted to kill the poor creature, he could have used less painful methods. A very quick search for these methods suggest methods of breaking it's neck, suffocation or even shooting (lol?). I wonder whether decapitation with a butcher's knife would work? Fortunately, this isn't my problem. I do contend however, that nearly any other method of killing the rodent would have been more humane.

As for the Facebook question in this topic, I had complained to them before about dog fighting posts and pages. They replied that they couldn't do anything about it because it didn't contravene their rules. Doesn't make sense to me much. But then again, I can't really complain. I never use Facebook at all. Also wouldn't it be rather straightforward to avoid posts you don't want to see on your wall? To my knowledge, you only get posts to which you have somehow chosen to associate with. This isn't to say that you should tolerate behaviours you don't find acceptable. But rather, you can at least avoid the pain of exposure to distasteful content.

Deleted
    I don't see why he couldn't use a quicker mouse trap either, bothering to torch it is just sad. The mouse probably still died fast, but he's clearly doing it for his own pleasure.
    But the fact that it's a mouse, just makes it irrelevant to most people. If this was a cat or a dog, people would find this outrageous.

Deleted
    There's a higher priority on removing rightwing meme pages than on deleting content like that, sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree regarding the cruelty..
    The other questions are, how the fuck do you get to such content? How can it show up on your own wall? Why don't you block the source instead?

Grats btw. by spreading the content even further than it should be.
    /facepalm
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    I don't see why he couldn't use a quicker mouse trap either, bothering to torch it is just sad. The mouse probably still died fast, but he's clearly doing it for his own pleasure.
    But the fact that it's a mouse, just makes it irrelevant to most people. If this was a cat or a dog, people would find this outrageous.
    Not fast enough. It was still twitching in agony after the first few seconds. And I think that was a rat, not a mouse, and they're hardier creatures. So yeah... not cool.

I think most people would still find it outrageous, the kind of animal it is doesn't matter. Torture is still torture. That person is still a monster.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Suppressing Pepe the frog memes is more important.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    While I agree regarding the cruelty..
    The other questions are, how the fuck do you get to such content? How can it show up on your own wall? Why don't you block the source instead?
    I see lots of shares/likes/comments my friends make on posts of people/groups I don't know. I don't have any options I see other than: unfollow/block my friend (usually don't want to), or block the offending page (but that takes a couple clicks and I'm lazy).

Like, one of my friends is super into public breast feeding advocacy. So boobs show up on my feed quite often.

/shrug

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNoseKnows View Post
    There's a higher priority on removing rightwing meme pages than on deleting content like that, sadly.
    And rightfully so, because while animal cruelty is an important issue in its own right, pages that promote "racial purity" or basically thinly-veiled Nazism are magnitudes worse.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    And rightfully so, because while animal cruelty is an important issue in its own right, pages that promote "racial purity" or basically thinly-veiled Nazism are magnitudes worse.
    this is how shit the world has gotten, hurting peoples fucking "feelings" is worse then torturing animals....

Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    this is how shit the world has gotten, hurting peoples fucking "feelings" is worse then torturing animals....
    Conspiring and advocating violence against fellow humans is largely different from "hurting peoples fucking feelings".

But umm, what a totally creative and awe-inspiring way of justifying Nazism.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

I would say the torture and death of innocent animals is more important than a bunch of people who may be nazis, who got views that most perhaps disagree with, but them holding the belief is not harmful in itself.
    Conspiring and advocating violence against fellow humans is largely different from "hurting peoples fucking feelings".

But umm, what a totally creative and awe-inspiring way of justifying Nazism.
    You just said crack down on certain right-wing forums, nothing about advocating violence was mentioned. And even if it was, I still think actual acts of violence take are more important.

What kind of fucking psychopath considers frog memes and hurt feelings worse than fucking torturing an innocent animal to death?

...oh right, the progressive tolerant left of course. Let me guess, "that rat was clearly a Trump supporter!!!"?

10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck are you even on about? Are you having a triggered stroke or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I would say the torture and death of innocent animals is more important than a bunch of people who may be nazis, who got views that most perhaps disagree with, but them holding the belief is not harmful in itself.

You just said crack down on certain right-wing forums, nothing about advocating violence was mentioned. And even if it was, I still think actual acts of violence take are more important.
    Oh what quaint hair-splitting, so by Trumpet logic, ISIS recruitment/promotion facebook pages displaying beheading videos are less important than animal cruelty ones. Especially when you do consider they fall under far right wing extremism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    What the fuck are you even on about? Are you having a triggered stroke or something?
    I guess to Trumpets, people who live in non-Alternative reality are "having triggered strokes or something".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    What kind of fucking psychopath considers frog memes and hurt feelings worse than fucking torturing an innocent animal to death?

...oh right, the progressive tolerant left of course. Let me guess, "that rat was clearly a Trump supporter!!!"?
    See, this is the finest example of what Trumpets do when they are found to hold indefensible positions: Deflect and Strawman their way out.

See, this is the finest example of what Trumpets do when they are found to hold indefensible positions: Deflect and Strawman their way out.
    I noticed you neither answered the question, nor attempted to deny/clarify my assessment. But it makes sense you'd call it 'deflection', since it's the only tactic you morons know.

nobody takes animal cruelty seriously enough for me.

these are indicators of something seriously wrong with the person. if the world was right, we'd take these types of people, child or adult, and experiment on them until we figure out what is wrong.

Cruelty towards animals and cruelty towards people share commonalities. Facebook should be actively trying to stop both and I think they'll find they aren't mutually exclusive of each other.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

I think Facebook depends on people reporting this kind of content.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    I noticed you neither answered the question, nor attempted to deny/clarify my assessment. But it makes sense you'd call it 'deflection', since it's the only tactic you morons know.
    What the fuck does this have to do with Trump, the left or the right? I vote left strongly on most issues but I don't agree with him that pages on racism etc are worse similar to right wing voters we aren't all one collective consciousness. As it happens I find the torture of innocent animals like this to be the purest expression of mankind's capacity for true evil and it shames me to be the same species.