Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

US to ban laptops and tablets on flights from eight countries

The US is banning electronic devices from cabin baggage on flights from eight mainly Middle Eastern and North African countries.

We all know how many people die every year to brown laptops and tablets going wild during flights, good move. Keep it up.

Also who needs a switch on a 15hr flight? That's suspicious behavior!
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2017-03-21 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Maybe they are trying to drive them mad enough that they hijack the flight?
    Or maybe make the flights boring enough so they give up on flying to US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose the thinking is to stop plane hijackers from communicating with one another. Problem is these things get set up long before they get on the flight.
    #boycottchina

I would just make sure to transfer somewhere in Europe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I suppose the thinking is to stop plane hijackers from communicating with one another. Problem is these things get set up long before they get on the flight.
    Yeah, what´s the provider called again that keeps communication running 10.000 ft above the atlantic?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    If only mobile phones allowed people to communicate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Yeah, what´s the provider called again that keeps communication running 10.000 ft above the atlantic?
    Its called the internet, via satellite.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any satellite internet/phone provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait this only affects 9 airlines? Interesting, i wonder what the supposed terrorists are going to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Any satellite internet/phone provider.
    Ok and how do you get a connection without looking terribly suspicious? I mean a satellite phone, yeah do they even work midflight?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok and how do you get a connection without looking terribly suspicious? I mean a satellite phone, yeah do they even work midflight?
    Have you like .....ever been on an airplane?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    Or maybe make the flights boring enough so they give up on flying to US.

Your link says why if you read it. Not sure how hard it is to find a bomb in a laptop though unless the extremists are tinkering with it explode.

Wait this only affects 9 airlines? Interesting, i wonder what the supposed terrorists are going to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, I know from experience that one of these airlines, Etihad, offers you easy internet access for your mobile while on flight. That's well enough to communicate. That's not exactly anything that arouses suspicion these days

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Your link says why if you read it. Not sure how hard it is to find a bomb in a laptop though unless the extremists are engineering it to explode.
    You can hide it in there better than in other luggage, since electronics already have circuits etc. Though the people in Abu Dhabi are pretty thorough with their controls, from my experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Have you like .....ever been on an airplane?
    I mean, you don´t have to turn that thing on. That would be vastly easier than to deny everyone the devices that use the service provided by the airlines.

10+ Year Old Account
    All electrical devices except cellphones...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you don´t have to turn that thing on. That would be vastly easier than to deny everyone the devices that use the service provided by the airlines.
    I'm at a loss here... what are you on about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone and their grandma has a cellphone, or as they call it in non-english parts a handy.

And the signal is provided by the airline whose plane you're on. Wireless connections are no miracle anymore. The airplane also functions as roaming spot for the actual phone abilities. At least in the US, every provider offers special features one can add to their plan, to use their phone around the entire globe at no additional charges, other than that little extra feature costs. Without such, you're subject to roaming charges which can be very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Your link says why if you read it. Not sure how hard it is to find a bomb in a laptop though unless the extremists are tinkering with it explode.
    Your Sarcasmdar is broken mate. Time for a maintenance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Everyone and their grandma has a cellphone, or as they call it in non-english parts a handy.

And the signal is provided by the airline whose plane you're on. Wireless connections are no miracle anymore. The airplane also functions as roaming spot for the actual phone abilities. At least in the US, every provider offers special features one can add to their plan, to use their phone around the entire globe at no additional charges, other than that little extra feature costs. Without such, you're subject to roaming charges which can be very expensive.
    Cellphones won´t get a connection at 10.000 ft and a traveling speed of a few hundred mph. The airplanes can turn off the roaming spot and the communication idea people came up with is solved.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is one of the countries South Korea? They are know for their suicide mobile devices.

/huehuehue
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Cellphones won´t get a connection at 10.000 ft and a traveling speed of a few hundred mph. The airplanes can turn off the roaming spot and the communication idea people came up with is solved.
    What has the traveling speed to do with anything? Or the height?
    You are literally at the roaming spot. It's moving with you. You're a few meters away from the hardware that builds the roaming spot. It's (simplified) like your router at home, just a bit more sophisticated.

Turning it off, that might work for the plebs.. The common rabble in coach class.
    But the big money comes from business class. The rich peeps, paying high prices for their luxury flight. Cannot deprive them from these features.
    Now, you can handle the access via wireless access password, quite simple. But.. That would again open the risk to have a terrorist in that class getting access.
    That's the crux with terrorism, it adapts.

Yet, the problem is more with turning the tool itself into a bomb. A cellphone is too small to put C-4 in it and cause a significant explosion.
    Whereas a laptop might just provide enough space for some damage.
    That's their concern. Whether it's warranted or paranoid, well that's the question.
    Without insight on the intelligence we can only guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    If only mobile phones allowed people to communicate.

the report said all electronic devices, so if they allow phones on the plane anyway it really becomes pointless to ban other devices from those countries when a phone does it all.
    #boycottchina