Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The interest rate on student loans is agreed to ahead of time. They know the conditions when they agree to them.
    As things are now, yeah it can't happen. What i am more referring to is if governments were hands off when it came to business, there would be nothing stopping a bank from changing an agreement mid-way. Hell, cell phone companies do it all the time now!

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with fewer student loans being offered. Ease of borrowing is mostly responsible for the surge in tuition fees, and it would be nice if students weren't essentially forced to take on a huge debt burden for the sake of an education with very uncertain benefits, simply because you're "supposed" to go to college after school.
    Of course, that cannot, and should not apply to loans that have already been taken out. I also think there should be far less student loans, and I definitely do not want the government backing them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
    Oh, good one.... *rolls eyes* Your blank assumptions aren't any better.

You're

1. An ignorant dense piece of trash and a sad AF excuse for a human being.

2. Being deliberately obtuse at an attempt to troll.

Enjoy the ban.
    Ban for what? Some commies might want to ban me for my opinions, but sorry, I'm not breaking any rules this time.
    Also, I'm not breaking any laws. You can't execute me for holding a different opinion.

Well, considering your desire to push everything via reductio ad absurdum, I can see where you may get confused at times. That's fine. I tried to make it as clear as possible for you.
    That's merely your projection, I can assure you I am being perfectly serious and sincere here. But if that doesn't convince you, then so be it, my conscience is clear.

Now, you say people should be made to pay by ruining their entire lives, but I'm not going to agree to that. They should pay back the money based on the terms of their loan. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Correct, that's why in the contract, they will be expected to sign off their autonomy if they can't pay within x years.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    That's merely your projection, I can assure you I am being perfectly serious and sincere here. But if that doesn't convince you, then so be it, my conscience is clear.

Correct, that's why in the contract, they will be expected to sign off their autonomy if they can't pay within x years.
    If you can get people to sign your contracts, I wish you the best of luck. As for the people who already took out loans, they should pay them back, according to the terms agreed upon at signing. There's no need to ruin someone's life.

If you can get people to sign your contracts, I wish you the best of luck. As for the people who already took out loans, they should pay them back, according to the terms agreed upon at signing. There's no need to ruin someone's life.
    There's no need to not ruin their lives either. Like I said, I shall have to negotiate with megacorps for that, after all the government is soon to be plutocratic anyway.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

There's no need to not ruin their lives either. Like I said, I shall have to negotiate with megacorps for that, after all the government is soon to be plutocratic anyway.
    Unless their contract states to ruin their lives, I see no reason to do it. Their contracts simply state they are obligated to pay back the money they borrowed. I'm not sure why you want to ruin people's lives.

My story is that I was born into a very poor world. An orphan that had to crawl my way from the utmost bottom of the heap to get where I am today. Remember it can take us a bit longer to get where some of you have been born into. Some of us never find a way out of that hole.

Unless their contract states to ruin their lives, I see no reason to do it. Their contracts simply state they are obligated to pay back the money they borrowed. I'm not sure why you want to ruin people's lives.
    Not talking about existing contracts, and it's not about ruining people's lives, it's about maximizing profit, that just so happens to ruin the lives of people. There's a difference here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Lol. People who are poor choose to be poor, plain and simple. Being poor is about life choices. Some people choose to be poor. Its really about expenses. How much are you spending vs making and is there a way to cut back. Also things like having kids when u clearly cant afford them.

I work around 30-40 hours a week at around 11$ an hour. I do pretty well for myself just having one job. and if it wasnt for my student loans I would have a shit ton in the bank right now. But paying over 400$ a month for the 3-4 years kinda eats at my spending money.

Im poor but theres nothing wrong with the system. I choose to work where I work even though my degree can get me a job at around 35k a year starting.
    Yeah buddy! 4 billion human beings are just lazy trash who make bad life choices, since it's obviously their fault they only make 1 dollar a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Not talking about existing contracts, and it's not about ruining people's lives, it's about maximizing profit, that just so happens to ruin the lives of people. There's a difference here.
    That's strange, because I have been talking about existing contracts from the start.

Is there a problem with maximizing profit? One can do that, without ruining people's lives. Just because you want to ruin the lives of others, doesn't mean everyone else does.

That's strange, because I have been talking about existing contracts from the start.

Is there a problem with maximizing profit? One can do that, without ruining people's lives. Just because you want to ruin the lives of others, doesn't mean everyone else does.
    Oh, I was talking about my future business venture, like I stated multiple times in my conversation with you. I am bouncing ideas off you, since you have been the source of inspiration for a lot of details in said venture of mine.

And I suppose I could, but what do I stand to gain from it? My profit margins are at stake here.

Oh, I was talking about my future business venture, like I stated multiple times in my conversation with you. I am bouncing ideas off you, since you have been the source of inspiration for a lot of details in said venture of mine.
    Strange, because you replied to my comment about a singular hypothetical loan that had already happened.

Maybe you should be more clear as to whose lives you wish to ruin in the future. I'm going to go ahead and stick with the personal responsibility thing, and having people pay back the money they borrow. It seems to work just fine.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-03-22 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigenari View Post
    What if you try as hard as you can, but you have mental or physcial health issues which mean that no matter how hard you try, everything always falls apart and you fall deeper and deeper into poverty? I repeat: not an excuse - this hypothetical person is trying as hard as they are able, but their life is still shitty.

Please, just try to put yourself in that situation. You and I can pull ourselves out of poverty, but what if you literally can't? Shouldn't we have some empathy in that situation?
    there are special institutions for such people - if someone cant get shit together he should admit himself to such institution and ask for help - but in 99,9 % its not the case - its the laziness and copying bad behaviour as life choice. and taking the easy way instead pushing themselves to the limit

Strange, because you replied to my comment about a singular hypothetical loan that had already happened.

Maybe you should be more clear as to whose lives you wish to ruin in the future.
    I should.

So back to that, could you tell me what I would stand to gain if I choose to restrict my profits so as to not ruin people's lives?

I should.

So back to that, could you tell me what I would stand to gain if I choose to restrict my profits so as to not ruin people's lives?
    Write me up a detailed business proposal, and I'll give you my insight.

Write me up a detailed business proposal, and I'll give you my insight.
    I am just asking something in general.

What would I or anyone for that matter stand to gain if I chose to limit my profits to pander to people and their lives?

I am just asking something in general.

What would I or anyone for that matter stand to gain if I chose to limit my profits to pander to people and their lives?
    Well, harming others is a bad thing. Luckily, as it stands, the current paradigm shows that people aren't really being harmed. They willingly take out loans, and are obligated to pay those loans back.

If you wish to harm others, that is not something I will support. However, I am glad to know you think people should be obligated to pay back the loans they take out.

Well, harming others is a bad thing.
    Why?

Sounds to me like an emotional argument.

Why?

Sounds to me like an emotional argument.
    No, it's one based on actual logic, and maximizing freedom. If I choose to harm others, then I have no cause to complain if others choose to harm me.