10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Canada's largest school board is cancelling new school trips to the United States htt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39371696

Canada's largest school board is cancelling new school trips to the United States until further notice.

The Toronto District School Board announced the decision citing "uncertainty" with regards to who may be affected by US President Donald's Trump's latest travel restrictions.

Twenty-five already scheduled trips will go ahead as planned.

The school board joins the Girl Guides of Canada and a few other schools in temporarily halting travel to the US.

Under the new US travel ban, citizens from Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen would not be permitted to enter the US, unless they have already been issued valid visas, for a 90-day period.

However, the ban is suspended pending a number of court challenges.

In a statement released on Thursday, Director of Education John Malloy said that the district school board faced "a difficult choice".

"We strongly believe that our students should not be placed into these situations of potentially being turned away at the border," said Mr Malloy.

"For the trips that will be continuing, should students with the appropriate documentation be denied entry to the US for no legitimate reason, the entire trip will return to Toronto and will not proceed."

The board is among the largest in North America with some 246,000 students in 584 schools throughout Toronto.

The school board says that, should the US travel restrictions be fully implemented, pre-approved trips will also be cancelled.

Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts, and Hawaii have all launched legal challenges against the Trump administration's executive order.

Some individuals from those countries would be exempt from the order, including legal permanent residents of the US and dual nationals travelling on a passport from a country not on the list.

Last week, Canada's Girl Guides announced they would not be travelling to the US until further notice.

Greater Essex County school board in south-western Ontario decided last month to cancel a handful of trips over concerns about equity.

The Ottawa-Carleton District school board recently sent a letter to parents asking whether their children would participate in upcoming trips across the border to determine whether plans should go ahead.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39371696

That is a lot of lost revenue and if you look at the atmosphere, it sure seems a if other school boards will follow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    their loss
    No child's life is complete if they're not turned away from an international border solely on the basis of their religion.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    No child's life is complete if they're not turned away from an international border solely on the basis of their religion.
    I think the travel bans are pretty damn racist and bigoted (and the fact that I am ok with them is kind of scary to me), but its hard to have a reasonable discussion with comments like yours. Aren't like only like 25% of Muslims affected, and millions of Christians maybe (not sure about the numbers but I know some of these countries have significant christian populations).

Edit: If Thailand banned all American citizens, would it be "DAMN RACIST CHRISTIAN PERSECUTING THAI ALT RIGHTERS"?
    Last edited by INVASMANIXOXOXO; 2017-03-25 at 01:07 AM.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

One Canadian dollar will buy you 0.75¢ US.

They can't afford to come to the US and are making excuses to make the kids feel better.

Canadian's who come to the US to work get huge raises!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post
    I think the travel bans are pretty damn racist and bigoted (and the fact that I am ok with them is kind of scary to me), but its hard to have a reasonable discussion with comments like yours. Aren't like only like 25% of Muslims affected, and millions of Christians maybe (not sure about the numbers but I know some of these countries have significant christian populations).

Edit: If Thailand banned all American citizens, would it be "DAMN RACIST CHRISTIAN PERSECUTING THAI ALT RIGHTERS"?
    Do you realize how many muslims there are? there are 1.6 billion muslims in the world. But hey, we're only banning 25% of them....almost 2/7 of the entire worlds population is muslim...
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    their loss
    What? It's the tourism industry that loses bud.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post

Tell me Thailand's reason for banning US citizens, and I'll tell you if it's wrong/racist or not.

Right now the travel ban's reasoning is "WE'RE SCARED OF PEOPLE FROM THOSE COUNTRIES, and we didn't ban all Muslim countries because Trump owns businesses in the countries where he didn't ban travel from like Iraq." So yeah, you're right, the travel ban is based purely on racial biases. We haven't had a terror attack on US soil from any middle eastern nation since 9/11/2001, and most of the terrorists who were a part of that terror attack came from nations we didn't even ban travel from.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    One Canadian dollar will buy you 0.75¢ US.

They can't afford to come to the US and are making excuses to make the kids feel better.

Canadian's who come to the US to work get huge raises!
    You realize that's exactly wrong, right? Canadians have higher dollar-value incomes, and our median incomes have outpaced the USA's;

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/u...t.html?hp&_r=2

If you get paid $37,500 in the USA, then a Canadian is likely making $50,000 or more for the same job. Which works out to the same income level once you account for the $CA to $USD conversion.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-03-25 at 02:00 AM.

I'm Ok with this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Probably for the best. The US has too many terrorists, and will continue to be that way until people learn to quit persecuting people they don't know based off religion and murky data trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You realize that's exactly wrong, right? Canadians have higher dollar-value incomes, and our median incomes have outpaced the USA's;

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/u...t.html?hp&_r=2

If you get paid $37,500 in the USA, then a Canadian is likely making $50,000 or more for the same job. Which works out to the same income level once you account for the $CA to $USD conversion.

Freight railway conductors employed by large companies such as CN and Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. earn a starting salary between $75,000 and $78,000 a year. Over the course of their career, that salary can grow to $84,000 to $92,000 a year, and there are a number of opportunities to increase that salary in related fields.

lightly less than two-thirds have more than 10 years in the field. While pay runs from $48K to $115K per year, median earnings come to $92K per year. The most influential factor affecting pay for this group is geographic location, though the company and experience level have a (lesser) impact as well. Job satisfaction for Locomotive Engineers is high.

Looks like it's the same only one gets Canadian dollars and the other gets US dollars. And the US dollars are worth more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24422535/

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ngineer/Salary

Also there are 800,000 people born in Canada who now live and work in the US, most having STEM degrees.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Freight railway conductors employed by large companies such as CN and Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. earn a starting salary between $75,000 and $78,000 a year. Over the course of their career, that salary can grow to $84,000 to $92,000 a year, and there are a number of opportunities to increase that salary in related fields.

lightly less than two-thirds have more than 10 years in the field. While pay runs from $48K to $115K per year, median earnings come to $92K per year. The most influential factor affecting pay for this group is geographic location, though the company and experience level have a (lesser) impact as well. Job satisfaction for Locomotive Engineers is high.

Looks like it's the same only one gets Canadian dollars and the other gets US dollars. And the US dollars are worth more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24422535/

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ngineer/Salary

Also there are 800,000 people born in Canada who now live and work in the US, most having STEM degrees.
    Let's compare apples to apples, shall we? Conductors aren't locomotive engineers.

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/Cana..._D_KO26,45.htm

Locomotive engineers make $75-130k/year in Canada, with an average JUST slightly under $100k.

Plus, you need to consider different tax schemes and all that. Which the NYT study accounts for. Things like Canadians paying way less for comparable health care, for instance.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-03-25 at 02:45 AM.