Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd much rather have a remastered Starcraft
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Considering thar you need GMs, maintenance etc for legacy servers it'd be wasted money from their point.

Remastering SC you only need a team redoing the graphics once. That's all the money you need to spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
    It's literally a copy and paste.
    An example of yet another armchair developer who thinks they know better than everyone else.

It is not a copy and paste. The database they have today does not work with what they had a decade ago. There have been enormous changes in hardware, graphics standards, security, etc that are incompatible with their old code base without significant investment in updating it without breaking the original feel and function.

This is just as apparent to any development company. Just this last week I had to completely rebuild - 3 day job - a service that order and loads Netspend prepaid debit cards for our point of sale system because they're moving to TLS 1.1/1.2 and our existing .NET 3.5 codebase couldn't support it. I had to develop a separate 4.6 service and build a new Server 2012 platform because IIS 7.0 doesn't support it either.

That's just one example, and a simple one, in the end. A system as large and as old as WoW will have dozens of those kind of issues, probably more. Their code is nearly 5 years older than ours, at a time when DirectDraw was common. It is not a copy & paste job.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCream View Post
    Yeah legacy servers will get like a million subs tops, a remastered starcraft will easily sell 10 million copies.
    I doubt it. I'm not saying that classic WoW wouldn't do well. Only that many players will play it for a month or two, then not touch it again since classic is really dated and sub fees. Its why you cant compare classic servers to what doing an official classic would be like: A lot of players are just enjoying not having to pay.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Valnoressa View Post
    Considering Starcraft II is essentially dead now, I imagine the SC2 team has nothing better to do than to work on this remaster. o.O
    Define dead. There are still thousands of people watching it on Twitch, there are still thousands of people playing it there are still tournaments were you can win thousands of dollars.

No, the game is not dead.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
    ... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol

It's literally a copy and paste.
    how many people asked for remastered starcraft?
    tons
    How many people asked for vanilla servers?
    tons
    but the thing is, updating an old game to look better
    and bringing an old game back as big as wow to work is huge

also the thing is people who play starcraft, a majority of the player base (allmost all) just wanted EXACTLY starcraft...

but the people who want vanilla want tons of different things

Progressive, or stable? how long does each patch take till the next one? does it stop at the final patch, or move onto BC?
    QoL improvements like higher out of combat regen, bugs removed, faster corpse walks/more graveyards?
    Balanced classes and specs so you can actually play more then 1 spec?

thats the thing, people say they want vanilla wow, but there is so many different versions, everyone wants something different...

also you cant use people who say "i want legacy servers" as people who want vanilla, those people may want BC or wrath, or cata, or mop, or wod (there is private servers for mop and wod... i know right?)
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-03-26 at 04:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    because legacy servers are a waste of resources thats why
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Define dead. There are still thousands of people watching it on Twitch, there are still thousands of people playing it there are still tournaments were you can win thousands of dollars.

No, the game is not dead.
    Its cute that you think thousands is a big number.

SC2 has been on a rapid decline. The none co-op commander scene especially. And its never been anywhere NEAR the popularity of SC1.

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering Starcraft II is essentially dead now, I imagine the SC2 team has nothing better to do than to work on this remaster. o.O
    dead? as in players no
    as in new expansions coming out? yes, but thats called done devolpment, not "dead"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post

SC2 has been on a rapid decline. The none co-op commander scene especially. And its never been anywhere NEAR the popularity of SC1.
    idk when it first came out it was pretty fucking huge, it may have been there, but has declined alot since.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    how many people asked for remastered starcraft?
    tons
    How many people asked for vanilla servers?
    tons
    but the thing is, updating an old game to look better
    and bringing an old game back as big as wow to work is huge

also the thing is people who play starcraft, a majority of the player base (allmost all) just wanted EXACTLY starcraft...

but the people who want vanilla want tons of different things

Progressive, or stable? how long does each patch take till the next one? does it stop at the final patch, or move onto BC?
    QoL improvements like higher out of combat regen, bugs removed, faster corpse walks/more graveyards?
    Balanced classes and specs so you can actually play more then 1 spec?

thats the thing, people say they want vanilla wow, but there is so many different versions, everyone wants something different...
    I can see it now. Vanilla is rereleased to its original standing.

People bitch about class balance and lack of X Y Z vanilla raid.

They release Naxx vanilla. People bitch that the progression is messed up and its not what they asked for.

They eventually release TBC when most players have stopped doing vanilla. And people bitch to high heaven about vanilla being gone.

Just because it's not as popular as it once was or as popular as LoL or whatever a game is not "dead".

Having that mindset is incredibly redundant and childish.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    dead? as in players no
    as in new expansions coming out? yes, but thats called done devolpment, not "dead"

- - - Updated - - -

idk when it first came out it was pretty fucking huge, it may have been there, but has declined alot since.
    It had a large initial popularity. Then the numerous faults that shouldn't have been there became more and more obvious. SC2 shed players really fast. They stayed true to the original in theme alone. To much was changed, it just wasn't well done. Each new expansion just made things worse. LotV is a travesty.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can see it now. Vanilla is rereleased to its original standing.

People bitch about class balance and lack of X Y Z vanilla raid.

They release Naxx vanilla. People bitch that the progression is messed up and its not what they asked for.

They eventually release TBC when most players have stopped doing vanilla. And people bitch to high heaven about vanilla being gone.
    ^^^^ all of dis, even on XXXX server (not gunan name it, dont worry mods, i will be careful)

they announced they would not be bringing the vanilla server into TBC, and the community just split, it killed it allmost
    half of the community quit because "well my charecters will just become usless at some point, dead i nthe water, NEVER to see TBC"
    and the others were happy they could raid nax forever and ever and ever... meanwhile crying that current wow doesent come out with content fast enough...

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Just because it's not as popular as it once was or as popular as LoL or whatever a game is not "dead".

Having that mindset is incredibly redundant and childish.
    Not really. SC2 failed to retain any sort of major popularity. Its still just trending by on name alone. It certainly sold decently, but its blizzards least popular game. It failed to do what it set out to do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really. SC2 failed to retain any sort of major popularity. Its still just trending by on name alone. It certainly sold decently, but its blizzards least popular game. It failed to do what it set out to do.
    the co-op is really the only thing i play it for now adays, fun to play some missions with a friend that is alot more interesting then normal multiplayer because you have such cool different playstyles like stuktov

and i presume that is one of the only things keeping the game asl ittle alive as it is

You have those numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    it prob was partially outsourced
    Which is something that they could eventually do for Vanilla WoW.

Unfortunately Nost kind of shot themselves in the foot with their recent tantrum, so I don't see them ever getting the project.

So? Servers are still live and people are playing it. Ergo, not dead.

TBH I think it's more of the rts genre being in decline rather than SC2 not living up to its standards. It's the same story with MMORPGs. People bitch and moan about WoW but there is still no other game that can and will win people over to it from WoW.

SC2 is still the most popular RTS game on the market.
    Last edited by babyback; 2017-03-26 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FAR from dead, I have my belief.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The differences between rereleasing vanilla and remastered SC1 are staggering.

Classic servers would need constant resources going into it. It would need systems in place for staggered release of patches (they cant just give you the last patch of vanilla and say have fun). It would raise the question of other expansion since releasing vanilla would then raise the question of TBC, WotLK etc... It would need its own set of support staff as well. The old code wouldn't work even if blizzard still had it due to changes in technology. Simply put, old WoW wouldn't work well on modern systems. Theres just so much different here.

Not to mention with SC1 remastered it has a price tag attached.
    You realize that all volunteer teams have realized what you're saying is a staggering amount of effort, yes? It's entirely blizzard's ego that drives them to insist that the current game is better, that there is no interest in Legacy servers, and that if people want such servers, they are objectively wrong.

Newsflash: People just want to play the old game. Maybe just for reasons of nostalgia.