Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Has it always been like this?

The community here seems extremely negative, calling Legion one of the worst expansions pretty regularly at this point, I really can't understand that, it's as if they hate WoW now but can't see it so they choose to keep blaming the game.

I started reading these forums regularly when WoD hype was real, so I understood the hate WoD got and I passed it off as the expansion just lacking much of anything to do.

But now... my question to some of the mmo-champion vets who don't hate Legion with a bloody passion is, is it truly like this every expansion? Has the community grone more cynical and negative over time?
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Yes there are always people who complain. The problem is the game is always changing (vanilla and legion would barely look like the same game) and people don't always like the changes being made. For example some people hate that raiding isn't as important in end game as it used to be while others prefer it that way.

It hasn't changed since this game was in beta.

Deleted
    It has always been like this. In vanilla, people complained just as much, how the hype was wrong and how earlier Warcrafts were better and how Blizzard has lost its way...

The only thing an expanding game has brought are expanding frontiers of new things to complain about. Compound that with ancient forum nerds who complain since they don't have anything else to do, you get this subhuman race of online crybabies here at MMOC who regularly learn new ways to complain about new things instead of doing something actually new with their lives. Glorious, isn't it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Since the launch of TBC, the community on the online forums have pretty much always been like this. The forums have a good ability to clean out the positive voices and just keep all the angry people around. Somebody have proberly already made a academic paper about this, but people who tend to be angry and dislike a product, turns to the forums more then somebody who is in general happy about the product.

The forums will always seem a bit angry, because it is here that people come when they have a problem. It is very rare, that anybody get the idea of posting anything here or on the officals forums, when they experience something good or positive.

So to answer your question: Yes, it is like this every single expansion, but it has not really grown when it comes to negativaty. You will still see alot of people come out of the shadows and defend Legion.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

yes it has allways been like this
    people saying BC ruined wow (yes this did happen) because it was the first time we had an expansion, causing people to freak out over blizzard bassicly making somone who raided nax come level 70 just as useful as somone who raided molten core. removeal of big raid groups

then in wrath it was the game became too easy and big raid groups were forever gone and the 10 man dungeons gone
    also the new dificulties and raid sizes

come cata it was the removal of old quests and "lack of new content" because people seem to forget yes once you hit 80 there was more to do then when you hit 85, but they also remade all of the level 1-60 questing areas....

mop it was well everything.. people complaining of kung fu panda, removed talent trees
    wod it was really everything, lack of content
    and now legion

even in vanilla, i remeber people super mad world of warcraft bassicly garunteed there would not be a warcraft 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    The community here seems extremely negative, calling Legion one of the worst expansions pretty regularly at this point, I really can't understand that, it's as if they hate WoW now but can't see it so they choose to keep blaming the game.

I started reading these forums regularly when WoD hype was real, so I understood the hate WoD got and I passed it off as the expansion just lacking much of anything to do.

But now... my question to some of the mmo-champion vets who don't hate Legion with a bloody passion is, is it truly like this every expansion? Has the community grone more cynical and negative over time?
    http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-ma...-wow-25902237/

It's always been like this
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Deleted

Can you please link to some extreme negative-legion thread? I only see very positive threads everywhere.

This has been the trend since I have been on this site. I was a reader long before I made an account so that date isn't really honest. I think the complaining about Cata and MoP were much worse. This will happen with the next expansion too. And in a few years people will look back endearingly at Legion. Its called the Gold Age Fallacy I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Wow has a diverse crowd. Blizzard can never find a middle ground for anything it seems and ideas swing widely each expansion lately. I fall into the "Legion is the biggest pile of garbage I have seen crowd". They have hid the lack of content well with pointless grind after pointless grind. Not to mention packaging up trash like old talent trees and calling it an "artifact". Never quit an expansion so soon. Here is hoping the next one is better.
    I think its a great idea.. artifacts I mean. I first saw that idea (a weapon that powers up with you ) in LOTRO. I also liked the talent trees. So thats three pluses right there for little to nothing. The AP grind is a little ridiculous, but AK helps with that. I'm not a progression raider anymore, so I just take it easy.

Forums are always toxic, always have been and always will be. For being a fan-forum, there aren't all that many fans on this forum of anything Blizzard does.

I started playing mid-WOTLK, found my ways to forums early on and yes... there was a LOT of negativity, even then during the expansion now hailed as the pinnacle of WOW in every possible way.

when you take an expansion and heap nothing but rng and timegating on top of each other, people will react negatively.

wotlk did everything right though, and there was bitching and whining from people during it.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    It's been like this since I started playing, and that was during the AQ patch, and it was probably worse then... I'm not sure. It has always been bad, though.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    It's been like this since I started playing, and that was during the AQ patch, and it was probably worse then... I'm not sure. It has always been bad, though.
    Yeah I started before BWL came out... always complainers. I think the majority of people just enjoy the game though. I didn't really wake up to the hate until details on BC were announced. Goat people? Expansion is basically in space, and we get there by traveling through a magic portal? Demons and orcs everywhere? High Elves are Horde now? Our purples are useless within the lifespan of a single zone in some instances? Flying mounts? - just some of this shit I heard.

What sucks is when you try to defend anything you get labeled a white knight..

Deleted
    Legion would be fine if it wasn't for all the RNG and excessive grinding. People are vocal when they are displeased with something. If you are pleased, you probably have to reason to complain and therefore don't post.

Deleted
    I call them as I see them, everything gated, most recipes are Normal, Heroic, Mythic or even inside raids and they are not a 100% drop rate.

Want to level alchemy be prepared to quest for each little bit every 2 levels again needing you to go inside instances (Repeatable for every single repeat profession you have) and when you comes time to join good ol LFR can you get a fresh run for the first boss you need...... can you fuck, be prepared to join multiple times.

There will always be a disproportionate amount of complaints about the current expansion compared to previous ones because, well, the current one is happening right now. WoW has never been a perfectly designed game, and by its nature as something that's supposed to be played incredibly long term, the minor annoyances will always rise to the surface and become more apparent than in a lot of other games.

In Vanilla people complained that the game was too hard and too grindy. In TBC people complained that the game was worse and "dumbed down" compared to Vanilla. In Wrath they complained that everything was way too easy and appealed too much to the casual audience. In Cataclysm everything was too hard again and "rehashed" from older content. In Pandaria the theme of the expansion was dumb and silly. WoD was totally actually worse than Hitler. In Legion everything was too grindy and alt-unfriendly and RNG-dependant.

What it's worth keeping in mind based on all of the above examples is that WoW has an incredibly large and diverse playerbase that often wants different things out of the experience. Given that people are much more likely to feel passionate about something they want changed rather than something they consider just fine, there will naturally be more visible criticism than positive sentiment, increasingly so as time goes on.

Yes, it was always pathetic crybabies everywhere.
    The difference is that the focus and topics of whine have become far more ridiculous, petty and absurd, while actual discussions have become rare.

10+ Year Old Account

There are a lot of jaded haters who say they "quit" the game, but they keep coming here to dog on any aspect of it. You learn to just zone them out after awhile.

The ones who are most vocal on hating Legion are the ones who quit years ago and cant let the game go so they stalk around like some jaded ex husband who cant let his ex wife go.

Though there is litigimate problems with Legion its still head and shoulders better than Cata, WoD!

People cry over things every x-pac. WOW has been pronounced dead a hundred times and a hundred "wow killers" have come and gone.

Most people I talk to seem to be enjoying the x-pac as am I.

I really had no idea legion was getting a "negative" reception at all..... Most seem to love it and it actually seems like Blizz is keeping their promise of faster content as well.