Poll: Should the Pledge of Allegiance be removed from schools?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Personally, I've always found the pledge to be odd at best, creepy at worst. Especially the under god bit, considering how religion is, and should be far, far away from school grounds.

I'm for removing it entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    That installation is ONLY dangerous if USA decides to strike first. If Russia launches first an attack, its completely not an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find pledges like that disgusting. What is the point of it if not to brainwash youth? It's something that belongs to countries like North Korea.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-03-27 at 06:57 PM.

They should have never added it in the first place in 1962. Christians like to claim this is their nation when in fact it was built on separating itself from the church.

The way I see it, you only need to cowardly try to brainwash kids if you are afraid they see the truth. If your country is worthy, it will promote patriotism naturally. If you have nothing to hide, keep your chantings in the history books.

Any American who voted yes can get on the next plane, boat, or rocket ship out of the United States.

What is wrong with you people? Be proud of the country you were born in and gave you SO MANY freedoms. When did freaking Patriotism become taboo?

I bet half of you wouldn't even dare set foot in the Middle East right now, but yet speak stupidity from the confines of your basement. That same basement great women and men fought for!!!!!

As a kid, the pledge was just something I had to do while tired and knowing a long day of school was ahead of me. Reciting it didn't add anything to my day, nor did it take anything away from it. It was just an annoying thing that had to be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gore vidal quite properly called the pledge of allegiance imported fascism. Get up there and swear allegiance or youre a commie.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indoctrination and propaganda is always a good thing to expose young, developing children to.

It's pretty scary, that many states by law have mandatory "patriotic sessions" in school.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-03-27 at 07:38 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Remove the pledge, and slap anyone who complains about bans on school prayer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshocka View Post
    Any American who voted yes can get on the next plane, boat, or rocket ship out of the United States.

What is wrong with you people? Be proud of the country you were born in and gave you SO MANY freedoms. When did freaking Patriotism become taboo?

I bet half of you wouldn't even dare set foot in the Middle East right now, but yet speak stupidity from the confines of your basement. That same basement great women and men fought for!!!!!
    "How dare you people not celebrate your freedoms! You MUST celebrate your freedoms!"

You don't see the irony in this, hmm?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account

I'm an American, born and raised. I think the US is one of the best things ever to happen to this world.

And I am utterly, 100% opposed to asking anyone to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Take your forced loyalty somewhere else please. I hear the DPRK is lovely this time of year.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

The pledge should stay as it is. That's how you build sense of belonging to the country from ground up. I'd even add that pupils must assemble each morning and sing the American national anthem in the auditorioum or gym hall before they start with school.

Just remove it from being recited in schools. Its place in schools creates a social mandate or expectation for kids to recite it, and that serves no purpose other than to mildly brainwash or indoctrinate the country's youth. If people need an outlet for expressing patriotism, then a club can be made. If it weren't a pledge or expression of belief, then having everyone say it wouldn't be so weird. The Pledge could still absolutely have a place in history / civics classes where it could be taught and students could be asked to memorize or learn more about it.

In so far as any governmental body or organization goes, the phrase 'under god' should be removed from any recitation of the pledge. This is simply because of the separation of church and state. In other places, they can recite and adapt it however they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    So you are saying americans are nazis?
    I'm saying that indoctrination of this kind leads to bad things, like blind nationalism, which is too common in the US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar
    The pledge should stay as it is. That's how you build sense of belonging to the country from ground up. I'd even add that pupils must assemble each morning and sing the American national anthem in the auditorioum or gym hall before they start with school.
    "God save the Queen" should be the only thing they ever sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    "God save the Queen" should be the only thing they ever sing.
    If anything, Rule Britannia. But since those rebels emancipated you can't expect them to sing their parent's hymn instead of their own. I always hated "God save the Queen". It's so shortsighted, once the queen dies the whole anthem becomes irrelevant.

I voted no.
    It harms little and for some children, provokes questions, which I see as a good thing.

Like the First Amendment, which gives them the right to decline the Pledge?

Sounds like you like the superficial representation of your country more than the rights for which it stands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    If anything, Rule Britannia. But since those rebels emancipated you can't expect them to sing their parent's hymn instead of their own. I always hated "God save the Queen". It's so shortsighted, once the queen dies the whole anthem becomes irrelevant.
    It was God Save the King long before it was God Save the Queen. It'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Why do you hate freedom of speech so much?

If you have to brainwash kids into being patriotic... then you already have a problem.

I work, pay taxes, and do my fair share of community service.

I don't owe my country shit

OT: I don't think we need to go to great strides to get rid of it as it takes all of 30 seconds. Teachers just need to respect that some people don't want to do it. I had many teachers that would throw a fit when students didn't recite it. Pretty childish if you ask me.
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2017-03-28 at 01:26 PM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.