Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Feels before reals, eh?
    Who do you think I am, Newt Gingrich?

I mean, if you have anything that disproves what CNN wrote I'd be happy to look at it.

Or, you know, you're looking to play a semantics game to score "points" for some reason. In which case, here's a few internet points.

You didn't see it, but I just made hand gestures to give you a few internet points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Odd that we don't get more journalism relating to the Ukrainian oligarchs who have been funneling money to the democrats and pushing this whole anti-Russian agenda.
    I'd be curious about this, do you have anything that provides information on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd be curious about this, do you have anything that provides information on this?
    Proof!? Facts to back up a claim!?!?!

You're asking way too much here.

I think you forgot to post the "fake" part of all of this.

Is it a pointless jab at Spicer? Sure. But he's a bloody moron and nothing CNN wrote in their "fact check" seems inaccurate.

As someone with a journalism degree it's not even truly news worthy what they wrote. Especially since it was a joke, though I will grant you it was a bad one. It just makes CNN look like idiots and not unbiased news reporters as they should be.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    No, but they pushed to get someone elected, which is the same thing. Doesn't that make them fake news?
    Explain how 'pushing to get someone elected' is the same as 'passing privileged information to a candidate in order to give that candidate an advantage in a debate'. Its like the difference between financial advice and passing inside information.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Explain how 'pushing to get someone elected' is the same as 'passing privileged information to a candidate in order to give that candidate an advantage in a debate'. Its like the difference between financial advice and passing inside information.
    It is the same, because the intent was to control the narrative in order to get a specific outcome. Are Fox and Breitbart fake news?

Feel free to answer any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    CNN didn't get the joke. It's even funnier that it's not actually Russian. That's the punchline.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    As someone with a journalism degree it's not even truly news worthy what they wrote. Especially since it was a joke, though I will grant you it was a bad one. It just makes CNN look like idiots and not unbiased news reporters as they should be.
    You're right, it's not. Nor were the headlines about how mean Spicer was for telling that woman to stop shaking her head. Instead of media covering that the US Press Secretary continues to lie to reporters to their faces on a daily basis.

CNN are a bunch of idiots, I agree. Same with MSNBC. Fox. I could go on, but needless to say it's the overwhelming majority of major news networks and sites, in addition to all the blindly partisan bullshit.

Media are failing quite spectaculaly in their role as the 4th estate, especially given that their role has morphed into being the "opposition party", as members of Trump's administrations have called them before. The business interests of the companies that own/run these outlets outweigh their responsibility as journalists, so we get puff pieces like this rather than anything a single real journalist would be proud to attach their name to.

But that's an entirely separate issue. In this thread, while this article was pointless as shell, I see no indication of any "fake" information or anything worthy of outrage like the OP implies.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    CNN was joking back. They trolled Spicer, Trump and apparently, you too.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

But that's an entirely separate issue. In this thread, while this article was pointless as shell, I see no indication of any "fake" information or anything worthy of outrage like the OP implies.
    I don't think that's quite what 'fake news' means. You don't need to explicitly lie to create fake news. Omission of information is not technically 'fake'. Reporting on things that don't matter can be seen as 'fake news'.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    CNN was joking back. They trolled Spicer, Trump and apparently, you too.

If it was written by Jon Stewart I would agree it was a joke piece, but not from CNN, they've never been funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Reporting on things that don't matter can be seen as 'fake news'.
    If the definition of "fake news" is that broad, then it's entirely pointless as a term. An argument that I won't necessarily disagree with given the quality of discussion that's surrounded "fake news" so far, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer8585 View Post
    Trivial, sure, but not fake news. All news organizations do the occasional soft piece. Someone probably knew the history and thought it would make an interesting time filler.
    There are plenty of things to get outraged about, but this is not one of them.
    Yeah like why you people are still not outraged that they killed a 8yo american girl (along with ~20 civilians) when trying to get a "bin laden" moment for trump in that fail Yemen raid.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    You don't think that has anything to do with a lot of non-corporate news being full of BS?

How does collusion mean they're fake news? I don't see the connection.
    I think he means corrupt. I hate the GOP with a fury; but denying that the Democrats have been pulling this kind of shit is beyond crazy at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elerubard View Post
    I think he means corrupt. I hate the GOP with a fury; but denying that the Democrats have been pulling this kind of shit is beyond crazy at this point.
    As far as whether CNN is fake news, well that is absolutely true, and all you need to look at is the well documented collusion between CNN and the Clinton campaign.
    If that was what he meant, he didn't word this properly then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    How anyone can read that and think CNN missed the joke is amazing. They trolled Spicer and the admin hard on that one.
    yeah, they definitely got the joke and made a joke back.

this was actually funny imo.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    If that was what he meant, he didn't word this properly then.
    I agree. Fake News is meme that's going to blow up in its creator's faces; but this is more CNN being needlessly pedantic than anything else.

If the definition of "fake news" is that broad, then it's entirely pointless as a term. An argument that I won't necessarily disagree with given the quality of discussion that's surrounded "fake news" so far, mind you.
    It is the traditional definition I'd say: Fake news--information that is passed off as new and important, and might or might not be true. That is so insignificant that its truth value doesn't really matter. A placeholder.

But now that Trump has abused the term was turned into an euphemism for lies that are passed off as news to a big audience.
    We should just go back to calling the latter "lies". That's what they are.

This just in: The idiocy of Spicer and Trump is not in fact a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    This is your fake news media at its finest. I know, the term is thrown around liberally, often, derisively and dismissively. However, does anyone really think CNN is doing their job when this is what they're reduced to "fact checking"?
    Acknowledging that you're using the term badly is not actually justification for doing so. Pointless news is not fake news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The animosity between the two is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Both sides took jabs at each other here.