Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I still feel that people hide behind these crutches because they are convenient for them. Its a quick go to excuse. "I eat because im stressed!". Its the same as giving every damned kid in the world adderall to calm them down, when all they really need is to go burn off energy. I'm sure some people eat because they have issues. I am sure some kids need adhd meds. For the vast majority though, people eat because they like what tastes good and a majority of kids now a days don't even know what exercise means anymore. The only exercise they get is lifting their ipdad up or moving their mouse / controller.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been an excuse maker. For a long time. I finally just sat down and did research. Eating healthier, if you put in the leg work, is definitely cheaper than eating out and its not even close.
    All I'm saying is that no one hates being in shape, there is a reason to being obese or a junky, it's not simply a matter of will power.
    Suggesting that is the same as suggesting some one with a broken leg to walk it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If eggs, broccoli and potatoes is what you want to call a meal, then by all means. I wouldn't call it one, but I suspect you had to stop adding things that would make it a meal, because it would have rocketed right past the junk food price tag.
    It is a meal. Its very balanced. It might not be a meal for addiction. It is a meal to fuel the body. Its filling. It gives you nutrients you need. It takes away all of the shit you don't. Its a very healthy. Your mind is one of the problems.

As for the price tag... what else would I add? Spices, seasoning? Sure, that I add. I don't put it in the price. One $0.99 bottle of garlic powder lasts weeks and weeks. That goes for anything else spice related.

Either way, sitting around saying eating junk is cheaper than eating healthy is an outright lie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    All I'm saying is that no one hates being in shape, there is a reason to being obese or a junky, it's not simply a matter of will power.
    Suggesting that is the same as suggesting some one with a broken leg to walk it off.
    It is will power. Its 100% will power for most obese people. Addiction is awful. Its very real. Ive been dieting now for 2 months. Lost over 30 lbs. Yesterday we had a going away party for a co worker. There was sub sandwiches , chips, cookies, brownies, etc. 2 months ago, I would have almost assuredly eating a cookie. I would have told myself "its only 1". I would have gotten chips. Yesterday? Didn't even think twice about the shit food.

You have to want to do something. People don't hate being in shape. True. They hate the sacrifices in good tasting food and the hard work to get in shape.

Food tastes good.

Exercise can be annoying/hard/time-consuming.

To re-iterate, some food tastes so good it's very hard not to succumb (hmmm cake).

Metabolism and genetics are a bitch. I had a lady friend that guzzled potato chips and coke like it was out of style and she barely ever gained a pound. While I knew a guy that was almost a vegetarian and exercised with some regularity yet continuously gained weight for a long time.

Motivation. That's the big one IMO. You gotta find something that motivates you; for me, it was going to the gym with a friend and noting what I ate during the day, and removing the stuff that was superfluous from my diet. Which was mostly bread or similar food I ate between meals. It worked for me, I lost 30 pounds and counting. But it won't work for everyone. Gaining motivation is key; the rest mostly flows from there to be honest.

It is a meal. Its very balanced. It might not be a meal for addiction. It is a meal to fuel the body. Its filling. It gives you nutrients you need. It takes away all of the shit you don't. Its a very healthy. Your mind is one of the problems.

As for the price tag... what else would I add? Spices, seasoning? Sure, that I add. I don't put it in the price. One $0.99 bottle of garlic powder lasts weeks and weeks. That goes for anything else spice related.

Either way, sitting around saying eating junk is cheaper than eating healthy is an outright lie.
    Hardly. It is exactly right. Because even your example where you made it as barebones as humanly possible, is still more expensive than 3 frozen pizzas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    If eggs, broccoli and potatoes is what you want to call a meal, then by all means. I wouldn't call it one, but I suspect you had to stop adding things that would make it a meal, because it would have rocketed right past the junk food price tag. And for that "detail", I'm not convinced in the slightest.
    More to the point thats incredible limited. I would be shocked if thats all he ate every day 2 or 3 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Food tastes good.

Exercise can be annoying/hard/time-consuming.

To re-iterate, some food tastes so good it's very hard not to succumb (hmmm cake).

Metabolism and genetics are a bitch. I had a lady friend that guzzled potato chips and coke like it was out of style and she barely ever gained a pound. While I knew a guy that was almost a vegetarian and exercised with some regularity yet continuously gained weight for a long time.

Motivation. That's the big one IMO. You gotta find something that motivates you; for me, it was going to the gym with a friend and noting what I ate during the day, and removing the stuff that was superfluous from my diet. Which was mostly bread or similar food I ate between meals. It worked for me, I lost 30 pounds and counting. But it won't work for everyone. Gaining motivation is key; the rest mostly flows from there to be honest.
    Its pretty simple math. If you eat more than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calorie count, you will gain wait. If you eat less or just at the number, you will maintain. etc.etc. Your friend that was a vegetarian put on weight if he ate over his TDEE. Period. It doesn't matter what you eat, you will put on weight if you eat more calories than your body can burn. Someone that has an extremely high metabolism isnt going to consume 8000 calories when they only need 2,000 and burn off 6,000 just sitting around because "lol good metabolism".

It's pretty easy to eat well, and cheap. It's also easy to eat cheap and unwell. I fluctuate between 180lbs and 11% body fat, and 220lbs and 20% body fat depending on the time of year and if I am trying to gain mass or cut. When I cut, my diet is usually 1 Avocado and 2 boiled eggs whites for breakfast (appox 320 cal), 1/2 lb Salmon and 1 cup of Green Beans for lunch (approx 420 cal), and 8oz Chicken and 1 cup of Brocolli for dinner (approx 600 cal), with snacks of 1/2 to 1 cup of 2% Cottage Cheese (100-200 cal) and 2 oz or less Almonds (320 cal) throughout the day. I buy the Salmon, Chicken, and Veggies from Costco/Sams Club. It costs me between $8 and $11 a day to eat this way. How much does it cost for 3 meals a day at McDonalds? $15? It's great because it's low carb. No coke, no beers, no candy, no pasta, no sweet BBQ sauces on anything.

The other thing I want to mention is you need to know when you're HUNGRY and when your stomach is empty. They are two separate things. If you eat every 4 hours, your stomach will growl every 4 hours, because that's how you've trained it. Stop eating every time your stomach makes noise, and only eat when you are actually hungry. Try fasting for 24 hours and you'll see how your stomach will start growling about 4-6 hours after a meal. Then you will have this moment of panic like "Man, I need to eat or I will pass out", then ..it just goes away. You may find you have a sudden burst of energy, and your mind becomes clearer. It's like your body is getting you ready to go out to hunt your next meal.

When I'm trying to gain weight, My diet is usually pasta and bread as much as possible for every meal. BBQ sauce sure, egg sandwiches, whatever. It takes about 4 weeks of eating this way for me to gain 10lbs. That's how quickly that shit piles it on. If you aren't trying to gain weight, don't eat like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardly. It is exactly right. Because even your example where you made it as barebones as humanly possible, is still more expensive than 3 frozen pizzas.
    Junk food is federally subsidized. Got to do SOMETHING with all that corn.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    More to the point thats incredible limited. I would be shocked if thats all he ate every day 2 or 3 times a day.
    Im very smart with how I shop and cook. I buy in bulk. My monthly grocery bill (depending on 4 or 5 wks) ranges from 250-300 a month. I prepare food in advance. I normally always eat the same thing for lunch on Tuesday that I had for dinner on Monday. I have a lot of variety. I can drop in my meal plan if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I have a friend who spent the last year and a half working extremely hard to lose about 50lbs. She dieted, she exercised, and it was totally working.

She had to have emergency gallbladder surgery about two or three months ago. After the surgery, she was told exactly what she could and could not eat for a certain period of time by her doctor, and was on physical restriction from certain activities.

She gained it all back in two months of not being on her diet and being unable to exercise to the extent she had previously. Two months.

This is why it's discouraging. Because things entirely out of your control can completely derail a year and a half of work in a matter of weeks.
    That's because she lost weight via an unsustainable method. I did it myself a few years back, 3 months of working out hard every day and following a diet, put a lot of the weight back on. Tried a different approach about a year ago, easy to maintain and requires zero exercize and I'm down around 35lbs and have maintained it since it stabalised because the method is sustainable.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

It is will power. Its 100% will power for most obese people. Addiction is awful. Its very real. Ive been dieting now for 2 months. Lost over 30 lbs. Yesterday we had a going away party for a co worker. There was sub sandwiches , chips, cookies, brownies, etc. 2 months ago, I would have almost assuredly eating a cookie. I would have told myself "its only 1". I would have gotten chips. Yesterday? Didn't even think twice about the shit food.

You have to want to do something. People don't hate being in shape. True. They hate the sacrifices in good tasting food and the hard work to get in shape.
    Maybe they physically can't.

You still keep ignoring why something tastes good. And why we crave certain foods. Obesity is always a symptom of an underlying issue. That is scientifically prooven to be the case.
    As said before, this advise is on the same level of telling a handicap to grow a leg.

If you buy flour, yeast, water, salt, milk, eggs, tomatoes, some cheese and and some spices you can make 10+ pizzas with that and it's way cheaper. It's just more work.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Im very smart with how I shop and cook. I buy in bulk. My monthly grocery bill (depending on 4 or 5 wks) ranges from 250-300 a month. I prepare food in advance. I normally always eat the same thing for lunch on Tuesday that I had for dinner on Monday. I have a lot of variety. I can drop in my meal plan if you'd like.
    Actually yea can you pm it to me. Ive still got 20 or so stubborn pounds i need to lose.

I was more talking about the "eating out" part. Eating out being fast food or restaurants. Even still though. 3 frozen pizzas at 0.99 cents each isn't cheaper than a 1.98 18 count carton of eggs. If you were ate for survival and for fuel like we are SUPPOSED to, you would take the eggs over pizza any day of the week.

Bag of Chips - https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...o-chips/125635 - 1.98
    Frozen Broccoli - https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...florets/949896 - 1.28

I can do this with anything you throw up here. Now if you want to get absurd and bring up snack cakes and shit, well, I won't get into a petty argument like that. Thats not survival. Thats just killing yourself slowly.

There are very VERY cheap healthy options. People just don't want to go that route because it takes time to prepare and cook and it doesn't taste like junk food. The end. You cannot hide behind costs with your diet.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually yea can you pm it to me. Ive still got 20 or so stubborn pounds i need to lose.
    Rgr. I'll shoot it over to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    If you buy flour, yeast, water, salt, milk, eggs, tomatoes, some cheese and and some spices you can make 10+ pizzas with that and it's way cheaper. It's just more work.
    More work for no gain, as that doesn't even come to the toppings part yet, and they tend to cost. I've made my pizzas plenty of times. You're far better off buying frozen junk food if you want to save money. It will be healthier and taste far better when self made, but nowhere near as cheap as junk food.

I was more talking about the "eating out" part. Eating out being fast food or restaurants. Even still though. 3 frozen pizzas at 0.99 cents each isn't cheaper than a 1.98 18 count carton of eggs. If you were ate for survival and for fuel like we are SUPPOSED to, you would take the eggs over pizza any day of the week.

Bag of Chips - https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...o-chips/125635 - 1.98
    Frozen Broccoli - https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...florets/949896 - 1.28

I can do this with anything you throw up here. Now if you want to get absurd and bring up snack cakes and shit, well, I won't get into a petty argument like that. Thats not survival. Thats just killing yourself slowly.

There are very VERY cheap healthy options. People just don't want to go that route because it takes time to prepare and cook and it doesn't taste like junk food. The end. You cannot hide behind costs with your diet.
    So you literally have to invent strange scenarios where your barebones meal can barely beat in price eating out? Seriously? That's your argument for healthy food not being more costly? If over there you can get 900 calorie pizza for 99 cents, vs 1550 calories from eggs for 1.98, then your own argument crashed and burned yet again. The frozen pizza will get you more for the same money.

You're arguing against reality with strange made up scenarios, carefully cherrypicked to serve your argument, and yet they still don't quite make it.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-03-30 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I sent it to ya.

This is the diet im switching to next week for a higher carb week. It raised the cost maybe an extra 10-15 per week. I normally buy foods in bulk. So my meats last me the whole month pretty much.

Its amazing what portion control will do to your budget as well. Eat like a king, pay like a king pretty much. Spaghetti with a whole box of noodles and pasta sauce is meant to feed like like 4+ persons. 1-2 people shouldn't eat it all.
    Last edited by Tonkaden; 2017-03-30 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    It's really not that bad. Are people just afraid of feeling a little hungry? I actually feel energized when I'm slightly hungry. 155 pound club.
    Because it's easier, faster and cheaper to eat shit food than healthy "clean" food. That's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first thing that people need to understand is that everyone's body chemistry is different. There is no universal diet that works for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I'm a bit overweight and I barely eat. I just can't be bothered with exercise. It's boring as fuck.
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Because it's easier, faster and cheaper to eat shit food than healthy "clean" food. That's why.
    Easier and faster sure, cheaper depends on what you're eating.