Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Texting driver kills 13

https://www.yahoo.com/news/callers-r...050524425.html

13 counts of murder and life in prison sounds fair. I'm curious to see what he actually gets.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the actual charge will be negligent homicide. But yeah, same difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligent_homicide

It's legal to text and drive in Texas it looks like, it's still manslaughter because he was preoccupied with texting.

It's a tragedy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    So did the bus not have seat belts?

This is why I take the Machete approach when I'm driving.

In that I don't fucking text. It's just not worth the risk, bitches can wait for their smiley faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is why I take the Machete approach when I'm driving.

In that I don't fucking text. It's just not worth the risk, bitches can wait for their smiley faces.
    If you text and drive with me in the passenger seat, your phone gets taken and tossed into the backseat.

I'm not respecting your stuff if you don't respect my enjoyment of living.

Fuck you for thinking reading a text is more important than me eating my next burrito.

Never under any circumstance should you text and drive. It's not worth it. Whatever it is it can wait till you're done driving.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Holy shit. 13 people's blood on your hands for texting. Fuck. Absolutely horrific.

Also,

Texas' GOP-controlled Legislature approved a statewide ban in 2011 but it was vetoed by then-Gov. Rick Perry, who characterized such prohibitions as government micromanagement and said educating drivers was the key to deterrence. A similar proposal passed the Texas House a few weeks ago but has yet to make it to a Senate floor vote.

Yay for Republicans.
    If something isn't illegal, people aren't going to be deterred.

*Overwatch Voice* TREDECUPLE KILL.

Sorry I'll see myself out.

OT: I'm always torn in these situations. It was clearly an accident, and at 20 he's basically a stupid kid. But his negligence cost thirteen people their lives. 13 years and maybe never being allowed to drive again? It's hard to put someone away for life, for doing something stupid. It's different when there's intent to harm. Either way his actions are inexcusable and ruined the lives of at least 14 people, plus all those who care about them.

Just my $0.02

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
    ---snip---
    I read that as well. Remember, in 2009 this guy signed into Texan Law that driving, while you or your front-seat passenger is without a seatbelt, is a misdemeanor that warrants a $250 maximum fine and 90 days maximum in jail.

But texting and driving was a step too far.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/callers-r...050524425.html

13 counts of murder and life in prison sounds fair. I'm curious to see what he actually gets.
    This isn't really 13 counts of murder. It's involuntary manslaughter. Either way it's criminal liability and he'll probably have a chill time at one of the US great correctional facilities, that specializes in getting criminals fit to be brought back in society in a safe and secure manner.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually studies have shown that even talking on the phone while driving significantly impairs your attention while driving.

Such a tragic loss of life due to the callous negligence of an idiot who shouldn't be on the road. Sadly texting and driving is way more common than people realize.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    It was clearly an accident, and at 20 he's basically a stupid kid.

13 years and maybe never being allowed to drive again?
    Being a stupid kid isn't an excuse for killing people. Especially when you are 20.

And fuck 13 years... Throw the book at him... This wasn't just an accident, it was gross negligence. He was doing something he damn well knew he shouldn't have been doing and he killed 13 people because of it. Fuck him and fuck his life.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Being a stupid kid isn't an excuse for killing people. Especially when you are 20.

And fuck 13 years... Throw the book at him... This wasn't just an accident, it was gross negligence. He was doing something he damn well knew he shouldn't have been doing and he killed 13 people because of it. Fuck him and fuck his life.
    I get the emotional response, but he's young and it was ultimately an accident. That's easier to correct than a premeditated murderer. I'd prefer to rehabilitate him and reintroduce him into society to be productive - not sit for 60-80 years in a prison cell, at like 60k a year on the taxpayer's dime.

Ultimately, if the bus hadn't been there, this wouldn't have happened. Now, in no way am I blaming the bus or the driver here. But the kid was basically texting and driving, which caused him to lose control, which in turn lost people their lives. Other people text and drive all the time, and we don't lock them away for life. It's really a bit of bad luck and a bad decision on the part of the kid. But to lock him away for life seems like spite for spite's sake.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-04-01 at 12:12 AM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Negligent homicide is what they will most likely charge him with, they can't really prove involuntary manslaughter because texting while driving is bad but not illegal and thus does not qualify for criminal negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Actually studies have shown that even talking on the phone while driving significantly impairs your attention while driving.

Such a tragic loss of life due to the callous negligence of an idiot who shouldn't be on the road. Sadly texting and driving is way more common than people realize.
    I mean I wouldn't say its more common than people realize. You'd have to be stupid to not realize most people do it

Should be executed. We don't need stupid like that breeding and causing more stupid in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Should be executed. We don't need stupid like that breeding and causing more stupid in the future.
    There is no way he will get put on death row.

Wonder if they will take him to trial or if he will plea out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    There is no way he will get put on death row.

Wonder if they will take him to trial or if he will plea out.
    He is over 18, doubt they will give him a plea deal. He should really be executed 13 times is my opinion.

He is over 18, doubt they will give him a plea deal. He should really be executed 13 times is my opinion.
    Amazing view point after saying stupid shouldn't breed...the irony.

A plea deal will save the state a LOT of money because a trial for this will be expensive, so its on the table.