Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool It's On Us "Autocorrect" PSA translates casual conversation to reveal rape culture

A new PSA is aiming to illustrate the subtle yet insidious ways in which rape culture seeps into everyday conversations.

On Tuesday, former Vice President Joe Biden tweeted a new video from the It's On Us campaign he spearheaded during his time in the White House. Titled "Autocorrect," the video makes illustrative edits to an all-too-realistic conversation about sexual assault.

he PSA features two men discussing a hookup over text. Bro No. 1 asks Bro No. 2, "Remember that drunk chick I was talking to at the party?" "Talking to" autocorrects to "targeting" before Bro No. 1 explains he "had to encourage her a bit" in order to "get some" — "encourage" correcting to "force."

The described encounter ends with the girl's friend knocking on Bro No. 1's door, "running her mouth" ("asking if she's OK"). Bro No. 2's characterization of that friend as a "b*tch" autocorrects to "hero." The totally "good time" the first man expected to have was aptly autocorrected to "rape."

The bottom line:

"Don't ignore the subtext," the voiceover says. "It's on us to intervene in sexual assault."

Furthermore, as Biden put it in his tweet, "The correct word for sex without consent is rape. Period."

Biden launched the It's On Us campaign in 2014 to help improve bystander intervention to prevent sexual assault, educate people about consent, support survivors and bring men into the conversation — in this case, by offering them a handy translation lesson for future use.
    It seems the big guns are starting to get on board the fight to stop rape culture.
    You can really see the difference in wording that a normal person would use vs a rapist.

https://mic.com/articles/172367/it-s...ure#.Wg4w3dnX2

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Anyone who uses "rape culture" unironically should be banned from the internet for life.
    We'll miss you, Gabriel. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It seems the big guns are starting to get on board the fight to stop rape culture.
    You can really see the difference in wording that a normal person would use vs a rapist.
    Well, won't be affecting me, since I'm neither a rapist, nor a representative of a rape culture. Although I'm eager to see the squirming and mental gymnastics when feminists find out who will be affected.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Thought Police Strike again!

Because what better way to fear monger than to remove context or take something out of it!

rape culture isn't a thing...
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    "Talking to a girl" is not interchangeable with "targeting a girl".
    "Encourage" is not interchangeable with "forcing".
    "Getting into it" is not interchangeable with "getting worried".

I get it. The "translation" could be true, it could also be totally wrong.

If the context here is that we're reading a conversation about an actual rape then fair enough, but if they want us to believe that the situation described in the conversation is descriptive of a rape, they're horribly ignorant.

It just fails to show any "rape culture" because it's not the language that's problematic. Either he's telling the truth and it wasn't a rape, or he's flat out lying about raping her. Showing a conversation and going "look, in this hypothetical situation a guy raped a girl and is lying to his friend about it" than what the hell are we supposed to take from this? That rapists lie to others about raping? That rapists lie to themselves about raping?

Is that what rape culture is then? Rapists not admitting to having raped? If that's the case we have a culture for every crime imaginable.

I was nervous, and I had more experienced colleagues, however, my boss "forced" me to go on a meeting, and wanted me to "target" the management.
    However, as I was talking, I got more and more comfortable as things went on, so you could say I was "getting worried".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Tell that to the 14 year old outside Baltimore. But yes, rape culture isn't an issue in America by its legal citizens. Just from those who come from 3rd world peasant cultures.
    Just because someone gets raped doesn't mean there's a culture that specifically promotes rape.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

So the proof of rape culture is a hypothetical conversation between two people that is then twisted into something else by a third party? Top notch evidence right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    "Talking to a girl" is not interchangeable with "targeting a girl".
    "Encourage" is not interchangeable with "forcing".
    "Getting into it" is not interchangeable with "getting worried".

I get it. The "translation" could be true, it could also be totally wrong.

If the context here is that we're reading a conversation about an actual rape then fair enough, but if they want us to believe that the situation described in the conversation is descriptive of a rape, they're horribly ignorant.

It just fails to show any "rape culture" because it's not the language that's problematic. Either he's telling the truth and it wasn't a rape, or he's flat out lying about raping her. Showing a conversation and going "look, in this hypothetical situation a guy raped a girl and is lying to his friend about it" than what the hell are we supposed to take from this? That rapists lie to others about raping? That rapists lie to themselves about raping?
    Pretty much. And that somehow normalizes rape. Oh shit, I've targeted Revi...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

"Rape culture"

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

Deleted
    This is why Trump won the election... idiocy like this.

The day we stop this kind of bullshit on the left is the day people will stop moving to the right to escape this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    The totally "good time" the first man expected to have was aptly autocorrected to "rape."
    I just... I don't even...

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in a long time. I mean seriously... What?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    So the proof of rape culture is a hypothetical conversation between two people that is then twisted into something else by a third party? Top notch evidence right there.
    Well maybe they want to tell us that "rape culture" means the act of reinterpreting hypothetical interactions into something else by uninvolved third parties?

there seems is a lot of projection cumming from feminists that scream about rape culture

I *think* the point they are trying to make is that men that do rape try and justify it to themselves and to others that what they did was ok. So they could slightly change the story into something that sounds ok, but that is hiding an actual rape. And, when changing the story to justify it to themselves, they may come to believe their new version of the events and that could snowball into thinking that it is ok to rape, because what they are doing is not rape. And thus a rape culture eclodes?

So the conversation was a man that did what the auto-correct is saying, but he sees it in his mind as what he is saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    The Thought Police Strike again!

Because what better way to fear monger than to remove context or take something out of it!
    This is just how I see it too.

Skillful spin doctors can turn just about any statement around to mean something other than its intended meaning.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post

Pretty much. And that somehow normalizes rape. Oh shit, I've targeted Revi...
    This and what Revi wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely misleading and false. These scenario might happen, but they do not happen frequently enough to deserve the "rape culture" stigma. This is ridiculous.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Joe Biden, the creepy uncle who puts his hands on woman telling people about rape culture, hilarious.

Deleted
    The idea here is of course that encouraging a drunk chick to have sex with you, is rape, as she is not actually consenting to it. The rape culture is this culture where men think it's fine to have sex with a drunk chick and encourage her (this means she actually didn't really want to have sex, but being intoxicated you could easily 'convince' her to do it anyway) and that it's not rape. What men should do, is exchange numbers and call the drunk chick a taxi. If she really wanted to have sex with you, she'll call you.

Having sex with a drunk chick that you need to encourage to have sex, is rape. Drunk people have a hard time saying no, and if someone needs encouraging, that really does mean she doesn't want it, but isn't (mentally) strong enough to resist.