Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Artifact Appearance Challenge Tips & Advice

Just thought I'd throw this out there for people who are interested in doing them. I toyed with the challenges last night and figured I'd give my 2 cents while also looking for advice. First off, I have not tried MM yet, so if anyone has been successful or close I'd appreciate tips. For the 2 I have done, here's a few things I can say:
    First, if you are below or not close to 900 ilvl, don't even waste the shards attempting these.
    Second, SV challenge you will need to interrupt Xylems frostbolt cast every opportunity. Clear only enough Ice Spikes to get out but tag as many as possible when you are leaving the ring, this is to give you a free Exhilirqtion whenever they despawn (counts as deaths). You can also use Turtle to straight up run out of it when it's on CD. I haven't gotten too far on this one, so please feel free to add.
    For BM (spent the most time working on it), this is the one that actually seems doable with current ilvls. Ignore the big worm for most of the challenge. It has 90% damage reduction until its stacks fall off. Every burrow phase it loses 1 stack but also loses additional if ignore hits a stalactite during the phase. Kill eggs as fast as possible to avoid adds; however, if you get them they need to die fast. There is also a Fel Surge totem that you need to look for and take out (1-2 Cobra Shots is all it takes), if it finishes the cast you have to sit thru a long stun. As for Turg himself, this is where the real challenge lies. You will need to kill him as efficiently as possible while managing the aforementioned things, but you need to have interrupts and Frost Trap ready. Interrupt or trap him during Fel Bolt (think that's the name) to interrupt his cast, if he gets it off it will 1 shot you and sometimes your pet. If your pet dies, it will never get threat back and you will die to his melee hit. You should be able to alternate these with ease, just be careful to get him with the trap and not a close add. Few things I found helpful: you must have Prydaz! Can't stress enough. At current levels, the Worm will kill you with its big AoE cast and spit attacks before you kill Turg. Also have a Spirit Beast and put it in Ferocity. This will max its damage as well as give you a small self heal as needed (you will mostly use this on CD starting when Turg hits 50% health). The pet doesn't need to be any specific specialization, I just find Feroicty maximizes damage. Regardless of pet spec, if it dies and you Rez, it never gets threat back even with MD's and FD, so you're dead. If you kill Turg, the Worm enrages for 150% damage. So you need to kill the Worm first and roughly at the same time. This will be around Turg having approximately 10-20% health remaining, and use a Frost Trap to stun Turg while you burn the Worm down. The Worm will have to die because I noticed a bug last night where Turg would die from Multiple abilities hitting him at the same time and instantly enraging the Worm with 90% damage reduction. Also, I stayed out of the middle of the room for the most part to avoid falling rocks during his Earthquake cast, then when the 3 fell, stood in between them to get the Worm to run into them and avoid the stun. After that phase ended, get back out of the middle of the room in preparation of the next Earthquake usage.
    Updating this a bit: Turag becomes a little more predictable as the fight goes on. Beginning the fight, he casts his Fel almost immediately, so have interrupt ready. After this, he casts Earthquake and will cast Fel again almost as soon as he's done, so he ready with your trap. For a little bit longer, keep in mind what's ready (interrupt or trap) and be on the lookout to use it. As the fight goes on he starts dropping Felburst Totems, his Fel cast is almost always right after this (the predictability part), so if you need to, stop dps and watch for the cast instead.
    Again, so far this seems to be the only challenge completable at current ilvls, and my personal best was Turg at 21%, so I know there are better Hinters that can finish this before me. It's a long ass fight, so be ready for it, and happy challenging.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-04-03 at 07:15 PM.

Good read! Wish there was a spirit turtle with the ability to thick skin in case we miss the cast while healing us on CD Guess I will macro the spirit heal to an interrupt ability!

Just completed it, took 14 minutes. Had to use Spirit Beast for self heal, Prydaz for absorb, Voodoo Mask for the heal (just drop and get right back up to not cause a despawn on adds), with an 898 ilvl. Very doable for people, but to emphasize, I needed this combination of legendaries at my ilvl to have a chance. Got rough at the end as Turag summons 5 eggs (possibly more as the fight continues) and when he had about 10 mil health left I just ignored them and ran non stop out of the ground effects.
    Talents were Dire Stable (always want to have a CS ready for the totem), Dire Frenzy, MoC, and the CS one that resets KC during BW.
    Also updated original post a little for positioning and timing of abilities.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-04-03 at 07:16 PM.

I finished this in under an hour, the fight took about 8 minutes.

Roots of Shaladrassil make this challenge pretty easy. I just ignored the worm, made sure it lost some stacks every burrow, and focused down Tugar alternating Counter Shot and Freezing Trap. Roots heals through the sonic scream + spit + melees from Tugar easily. Only time I got low was when I missed a Fel burst and my pet died, and I got stunned while trying to rezz it.

There's a video up on my YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I finished this in under an hour, the fight took about 8 minutes.

Roots of Shaladrassil make this challenge pretty easy. I just ignored the worm, made sure it lost some stacks every burrow, and focused down Tugar alternating Counter Shot and Freezing Trap. Roots heals through the sonic scream + spit + melees from Tugar easily. Only time I got low was when I missed a Fel burst and my pet died, and I got stunned while trying to rezz it.

There's a video up on my YouTube channel.
    Yeah, unfortunately I do not have Roots for this fight, so what I posted is how I did it. From what I am seeing, there are other talents you can pick than what I used. Prydaz and helm are a decent alternative to not having roots, but requires a little management.

Not my video but this is basically the approach for the MM appearance and what I did myself though much less gracefully (I died just after boss did). I had 906 ilvl.

-I would say meme is pretty much mandatory at this point for it's mobility, kiting and killing is the name of the game.
    -I used boots and belt for the kill and though I tried boots and legs I honestly didn't take enough damage to warrant using the legs. Most of the mistakes you will make will one shot you.
    -Keep adds grouped up with Karam or boss when you can. It's absolutely crucial to kill as many of those as possible, and grouping them up makes them so much easier to do so. Never attack the adds directly.
    -Make a /target concussive shot macro for Karam! There is going to be a lot of shit going on in the final phase in particular and all you need to do is keep the slow up on him and ignore him otherwise. You can keep him perma-slow'd and if you keep moving he should never catch you as long as you stay out of purple pools.
    -Letting Karam hit you with any amount of stacks is basically a one shot, letting a hand cast go off is about 3.5m HP so a one shot if you have less (and AFAIK it cannot be outranged), and getting hit by the faceless add is also basically a one shot. Getting melee'd by a single shadowfiend add does hurt but is not deadly but if you manage to get hit by a bunch of them you're dead.
    -I saved turtle for soaking up the very first rune that spawns the faceless add. This can spawn anywhere and if it's in the middle of the adds there is little else you can do.
    -Bursting shot works on both shadowfiend adds and Karam if you ever need it.
    -Took me about 15 tries to get it. Once I got the hang of it the difference between my kill and my previous attempts was that I soaked up the first rune in the burn phase, killed the grasping hand that spawned just before/after it and used TS on the boss and just went all out. If you drag this phase on too long you're eventually going to either get overwhelmed and fall behind or make a mistake and goof it up. I would still suggest using lust on the first time you can attack Raest as if you can get him to 50% or lower for the second time he's attackable you'll be in pretty good shape. I just got as far away from all the things as I could and nuked.
    -Last, as of when I completed it at least, you only need to kill Raest, not Karam. When Raest dies everything despawns except for Karam. It may be a safe bet to keep kiting him and kill him off in case that is not intended but I ended up dying just after I finished Raest off but I got completion credit.

Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2017-04-03 at 11:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post

Not my video but this is basically the approach for the MM appearance and what I did myself though much less gracefully (I died just after boss did). I had 906 ilvl.

-I would say meme is pretty much mandatory at this point for it's mobility, kiting and killing is the name of the game.
    -I used boots and belt for the kill and though I tried boots and legs I honestly didn't take enough damage to warrant using the legs. Most of the mistakes you will make will one shot you.
    -Keep adds grouped up with Karam or boss when you can. It's absolutely crucial to kill as many of those as possible, and grouping them up makes them so much easier to do so. Never attack the adds directly.
    -Make a /target concussive shot macro for Karam! There is going to be a lot of shit going on in the final phase in particular and all you need to do is keep the slow up on him and ignore him otherwise. You can keep him perma-slow'd and if you keep moving he should never catch you as long as you stay out of purple pools.
    -Letting Karam hit you with any amount of stacks is basically a one shot, letting a hand cast go off is about 3.5m HP so a one shot if you have less (and AFAIK it cannot be outranged), and getting hit by the faceless add is also basically a one shot. Getting melee'd by a single shadowfiend add does hurt but is not deadly but if you manage to get hit by a bunch of them you're dead.
    -I saved turtle for soaking up the very first rune that spawns the faceless add. This can spawn anywhere and if it's in the middle of the adds there is little else you can do.
    -Bursting shot works on both shadowfiend adds and Karam if you ever need it. It took me 30 wipes, but I've done it all without
    -Took me about 15 tries to get it. Once I got the hang of it the difference between my kill and my previous attempts was that I soaked up the first rune in the burn phase, killed the grasping hand that spawned just before/after it and used TS on the boss and just went all out. If you drag this phase on too long you're eventually going to either get overwhelmed and fall behind or make a mistake and goof it up. I would still suggest using lust on the first time you can attack Raest as if you can get him to 50% or lower for the second time he's attackable you'll be in pretty good shape. I just got as far away from all the things as I could and nuked.
    -Last, as of when I completed it at least, you only need to kill Raest, not Karam. When Raest dies everything despawns except for Karam. It may be a safe bet to keep kiting him and kill him off in case that is not intended but I ended up dying just after I finished Raest off but I got completion credit.

Hopefully this helps.

I've done this 903 ilvl, using legendaries wrists and gloves. Head and legs are pointless. Diffrence is I traped first big add, interupted first cast of hand, then turtled second. Using cds on Karam is pointless, i left trushot for first Raest then i declined it to second. Lone Wolf, LnL,Posthaste, Binding Shot,Explosive Shot,Murder of Crows, Piercing Shot. Wrists give good dmg and control over adds, gloves make kiting easier, and phases with Karam faster. But tbh at end of fight there was shiz ton of adds. Also few bugs: sometimes binding shot not working on Karam, Karam is falling under ground when you kite him on the border of map, i died automaticlly when i killed Raest but quest was done. Also totally ignored aoeing during Raest phases just nuked boss. I cleared first adds, during second Karam adds by cleaving. Also hands spawn in location when Karam run so if you stun him on the border of map you can have problem with reaching hand. I kited Karam in 1 phase on the border of map to finish him near Reaest, so i got less slowing zones later.

Edit: It took me around 30 wipes, but I've done this without any guides and researching, just wiping and learning fight.
    Last edited by mmoc2b4a3c7b42; 2017-04-04 at 03:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Beast Mastery one seems ridiculously easy. I did one try just to see, my pet died three times and it still wasn't an issue. My issue was I was so slow on eggs ^^, of course interrupting more wouldn't have hurt either. (895 equipped, with Prydaz) and to add I didn't kill it, I just did a slacker try and got to 50% when 3 eggs started spawning and pet died during it and I got stunned during that ress, before it was no issues.

MARKSMANSHIP:

Took 4 pulls in 909 ilvl, mainly to figure out what combo of talents/legendaries worked (and once to figure out that my macro's weren't really working as I wanted them to. /Targetlasttarget was detargetting karam :<). In the end, I did it with Sephuz+Ullrs, using LW/LnL/posthaste/Patient Sniper/Binding shot/AMOC/Piercing shot. Bear tartare is your friend for the books/intermissions etc as well. Didn't use explo shot because I've never bothered using it and it wasn't really needed, didn't want to practice it.

Make a /target Karam /cast concussive shot macro as mentioned, and a /target Hand /cast Counter Shot macro for the book. Makes life easier.

P1: You don't need help here.
    P1.5: Used trueshot + piercing shot to mow down the first two waves of adds, then another piercing shot for the last wave to finish off when exitting the phase. I found it very hectic to have adds alive at any given time, so I just went straight for fucking them up. Mage does nothing in last phase anyway, he can be 100% if he's the only thing alive.

P2: Making use of the counter shot macro to target the hand, silencing shot is up for every one of the spawns, and so is Sephuz proc. I'd usually Silence->Windburst (with the golden trait that does ~1M dmg per add with the shit on floor), and AMOC the Hand. Don't need to rely on luck from marked shot procs with that combo - it's more than enough to take it out, especially with an aimed shot added (haste+move speed from sephuz makes it easy).

P2.5: Most difficult part is getting into P3 with as few adds up as possible. Popped every CD (trueshot, drums, pot) for it, using piercing shot early on. A fourth wave of adds spawns as you enter P3 that I used second piercing shot to obliterate. Again, focus is killing all the adds; They make the next phase a lot harder if they're left up.

P3: Everytime a rune would spawn, I'd trap Karam, go stand in the rune, GG. Hands handled the same as P2. Your sephuz will desync due to the traps occasionally, so can't rely on the speed/haste buff for every Hand. If adds are left up, trapping Karam is a lot harder, and unless you manage to stack them, binding shot might not hit everything, so the first rune you might want to turtle (and then make sure that wave of adds is dead for second rune onwards).

It's just rinse, repeat after that. Everytime I got trueshot I'd save it for a hand just incase to burst it down. Dmg taken from the mage is neglible, healed easily with exhil (you get procs from killing hands).

I don't think I even used binding shot or bursting shot on my kill, not even needed with all of the haste buffs and trap, if you can kill adds quickly.

I would suggest to not phase into intermissions without trueshot up though, really want to get those adds killed ASAP.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2017-04-04 at 05:10 PM.

Took 3 attempts. Used legs and ring for BM. Interrupt the tauren with intimidation, cs, and freeze trap. Haven't tried MM or SV yet, but would probably just use legs as it trivializes most mistakes and damage. For bm, try to save 30 focus or so to always have enough to CoS the totem.

Quote Originally Posted by Effinhunter View Post
    Took 3 attempts. Used legs and ring for BM. Interrupt the tauren with intimidation, cs, and freeze trap. Haven't tried MM or SV yet, but would probably just use legs as it trivializes most mistakes and damage.
    All damage taken in the MM trial can be assumed to be instantly fatal (3.5m or above), and you never get to stand still as it's a kiting-trial. Legs won't save you I'm afraid .

Deleted
    892 ilvl, did around 20-22 try, used 3 interrupts (counter, intimidation, trap) pet died once, but successfully managed to ress and give the aggro back...it was a core hound pet, ferocity and used heroism in the end of the shaman fight (too many adds..) Legendaries: Apex and root, however root was not enough to keep me alive with the worm, almost died, but i used the intimdation to interrupt the sonic attack and in the end i finished....

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%B3lyom/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    All damage taken in the MM trial can be assumed to be instantly fatal (3.5m or above), and you never get to stand still as it's a kiting-trial. Legs won't save you I'm afraid .
    I unfortunately got nothing but utilty legs and the mm belt in my first 5 legs. So, I'd probably just start with prydaz and roots to make it super hard to mess up. I defer to your post on the mm one though. I just don't have useful mm dps legs and might as well do the mm challenge with training wheels, since I have the option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Effinhunter View Post
    I unfortunately got nothing but utilty legs and the mm belt in my first 5 legs. So, I'd probably just start with prydaz and roots to make it super hard to mess up. I defer to your post on the mm one though. I just don't have useful mm dps legs and might as well do the mm challenge with training wheels, since I have the option.
    Did MM with itemlevel 900. Used Belt + Legs (Roots' effect is obviously useless), should've used Sephuz and was about to switch to them but managed to do it anyway..

Belt was helping me a lot, it didn't even occur to me that trapping the add when I failed to get inside gives me a recovery option.
    It took me 7 tries.

But the Belt is probably the best legendary you can get during that challenge, with gloves of course. Man, gloves might even make it a joke now that I think about it.

Didn't use Explosive shot because I farmed Belt-Stacks on the adds.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-04-04 at 05:18 PM.

MM done with 904 iLvL, Boots and hands, crows, explosive shot and trickshot. Took me 16 wypes without using guide or anything, I jst learnt here we had to stand in the rune to make sure the add doensn't pop. Would have made the fight more easier! What I did:

P1 : kill the guy running, timmig all your cds to be ready when he reaches 1/3 life.

P2: Then big burst on the caster, just move aside when the small adds come on your face. Its a bg burst phase, and I put the dude at 48% HP

P3: same than p1, be sure to have your crows ready to be used on portals. I used a concusive shot macro with the running guy, made my life so, so easier.

P4 : Once again, you are supposed to have all your cd, burst again the casting dude, and use a freezing trap on the pink rune to freeze the big add.

P5 : Finish the casting guy ASAP, he shoud have around 10% hp if your single target doesn't suck. Once he is dead, just kill portals using crows, and always refresh the slow.

Deleted
    It should be noted that you don't have to kill the melee guy @ MM trial.

1/1 popped up after killing the caster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    It should be noted that you don't have to kill the melee guy @ MM trial.

1/1 popped up after killing the caster.
    Yup and i insta died sec after he was dead, some bug. But tbh if your gear is good enough 900+ and you know what to do before fight it shouldn't take you more than 10 wipes with all tips etc.

Finally got my BM Artifact Appearance. I was 898ilvl and it took me about 30+ tries. Of course... it would so much easier with better gear, but it can be done, just a matter of timing the interrupts.
    I used legendary neck + ring and a spirit beast to help a little bit with the tiny heals.

Next, gonna try to tame Fenryr, last time I was 896ilvl and get him down to 2%.

Got the BM and Survival ones done the first time the tower came up but still not completed the MM one, my weapon has shit relics, ilvl and lowish traits(40) plus I haven't played MM at all in Legion outside of the 5-6 attempts at the trial. Mechanically I found it very straight forward but the dps checks are where I struggled to output enough damage due to lack of experience with the spec.

I was spending too much time on Hands and not enough time on the melee guy, leading to him being super fast and having to constantly swap to hands instead of burning him down to get through the phases.

The BM one has alot of similarities, with positioning, target swaps and interupts being the main focus. The regular damage intake is alot higher in the BM challenge overall, but its more sustained which is why the healer leggos help cheese it and there is only 1 thing that can one shot.

Survival is the most aids, but Survival prob has it easier than any other class that does that challenge. The hardest parts of that challenge are burst aoe checks and mobility from target to target, two things Survival shine at. This challenge felt the most satisfying though as its got more phases than the others and each phase is so different from the others, you're really tested hard and required to use every aspect of the spec. This challenge in general, is one of the best in terms of design and variance in skillset required.

Deleted
    BM one is actually very easy, especially if you have roots, if you don't have roots you need more gear to compensate. I did it at 892 ilvl with 42 traits, basically it's all about rotating interrupt -> intimidation -> missdirect your pet during phase 1 for the casts and kite the worm into quake rocks. P2 is only about surviving long enough to kill it while using intimidation often enough to interrupt the cast as often as possible.

Edit: note that freezing trap works too in the p1 interruption order but it's a lot less reliable than the order above.
    Last edited by mmoc2947244a93; 2017-05-12 at 07:02 PM.