Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yes, the old fucks who could work part time and get a house, car and education off it are delusional about the current economic state.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Yes, the old fucks who could work part time and get a house, car and education off it are delusional about the current economic state.
    The young fucks who ever thought old people were simply working part time to get any of those things are equally delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The young fucks who ever thought old people were simply working part time to get any of those things are equally delusional.

Tell that to my grandfather, We've had this discussion. Minimal effort and zero debt for what he has. Gonna try to tell me they had it equally as bad?

Tell that to my grandfather, We've had this discussion. Minimal effort and zero debt for what he has. Gonna try to tell me they had it equally as bad?
    Nice anecdote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Fuck me boomers can hurry up and bite the dust, the economic strain they put on us is unreal and the fact they decide most elections for a world they wont even grow up in, or want to actually learn about, is a disgrace.
    Seeing that you outnumber boomers by an almost 2:1 margin, I wonder who's to blame for your generation not getting out and voting? Is an elderly person hiding your car keys?

Between wages that have hardly moved, and real-estate prices that have increased several fold since my parents' youth, people living with their parents longer seems like the expected result.

Deleted
    It was post war, there were more jobs than there were people and employers had to pay well or lose them.

Oh no, my grandfather worked full time in a factory, with no education whatsoever. Was given land to build a house as reward for being employee, literally. Which employers reward land these days to employees just to keep them from competitors? Seems to me these days employers are competing in firing and downsizing instead.

Not to mention, that single wage paid for family, the house, and then another land and couple houses by a lake. Which noskill job does this today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Nice anecdote.

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing that you outnumber boomers by an almost 2:1 margin, I wonder who's to blame for your generation not getting out and voting? Is an elderly person hiding your car keys?

Answer the question. Do they have it as hard? Back then you could get a house for the equivalent of 30 grand here. Tell me, Is that equal to us now? Did they work as much as this generation? Answer it if you think you're right instead of dodging the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a Gen X baby...born during a time of shifting societal values... we were stereotyped as way bigger slackers than millennials :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-04-06 at 09:37 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Stagnation is not normal.
    Nobody said anything about "stagnation".

It's much more difficult to get a decent job today than it was in 1973. The pay for comparable work is way less, relative to cost of living. Working conditions are worse. There's far less employer loyalty to those employees, instead employees are treated as a consumable resource.

So it's really not surprising that millenials have less opportunity to make their own way than their parents did. It's a far less friendly world, and they're not being given nearly as much support as their parents were. So blaming them for not magically being far better than their parents at everything is just . . . asinine.

When my parents were getting started, tuition cost significantly less than it does today, relative to minimum wages (and I'm in Canada, where tuitions are already way lower than the USA). Housing prices were ridiculously cheap, by comparison; their first suburban home was bought for something like three years' wages. Move forward today, in comparable pay, that would've been a job making about $40,000, so the house would be worth about $120,000. Except today, the same house would be worth north of $400,000. While the job in question pays closer to $30,000.

If there's "stagnation", it's the Boomers who are to blame for establishing it.

Answer the question. Do they have it as hard? Back then you could get a house for the equivalent of 30 grand here. Tell me, Is that equal to us now? Did they work as much as this generation? Answer it if you think you're right instead of dodging the question.
    Your statement was making all that happen on a part time job, which I rightly called bullshit on.

Your statement was making all that happen on a part time job, which I rightly called bullshit on.

It happened, absolutely but for the sake of arguing, say im not. Answer the questions I asked then. Its clear you're dodging it because you know you're wrong.

Deleted
    We need a new war , so only the good ones will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I mean millenials (myself included) are born into a climate of stagnant wages and slow productivity growth, which they are not responsible of. Either way, out of curiousity how old are you?
    Bolded is false. Productivity is still going up, it's the wages that aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Bolded is false. Productivity is still going up, it's the wages that aren't.
    Labor productivity ok? Jeez some people are too pedantic.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicati...national-trend
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-04-06 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad bitches about lazy millennials all the time.

He was born in the 60s, dropped out of high school, got a job on the local fire department in the 80s with no education or experience (his first job). He was able to afford three kids, a house, a truck, and an SUV on that. My parents were perfectly well off apart from when I got sick and his insurance didn't cover the cancer treatment and they had to pay for it themselves and ended up needing to file for bankruptcy. But even with that destroyed credit, he was still able to then afford to buy an even bigger house and still has bought and continues to buy a new model truck every two or three years, his credit having returned.

By the end of his fire department career (he retired to go into another industry that paid more), he was a fire chief... He told me all the time how they didn't even interview guys to be firefighters unless they had four year degrees in fire science and the like and had all the various certifications and what not before even joining the department. Coming from a guy who was 17 and hadn't even finished high school when he started the same career.

But obviously we millennials have it easier and are just lazy.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I'd love to invest in stock and real estate and all that jazz, but I have ~$13,000 in medical debt on my shoulders and another... Christ, I don't even know how many tens of thousands I'm in the hole for with college. Not that I make enough money to even start putting a dent in any of that. Should just declare bankruptcy and marry a Canadian lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this subject. As someone born in 1983 to boomer parents I'm at the very start of the millennial generation (was 18 on 9/11).

It seems to me that all generations just do the best they can with what they inherited and what I inherited was a fucking mess. I will always blame the boomer generation and the silent generation for the shit storm we've inherited. I certainly don't want any hand outs but what I would like is for some of the older generations to take responsibility for the fact that they left this Earth worse off for their children and grandchildren. If my generation can somehow find a way to even begin to fix this debacle I'd be impressed.

Do none of you play Monopoly? At some point during game play, all the properties are taken and some players start to lose ground to the ones that will ultimately win. Finally one player bankrupts everyone else and does win. The only way to change that outcome during game play is to somehow redistribute some of the wealth being amassed by the most dominant player.

Real life is actually a lot like Monopoly. Except Millennials are starting the game with all the properties already taken. Some opponents have been playing steadily and amassing wealth for literally centuries. Overpopulation just adds to this problem because any opening in the board at all has enormous competition.

If you really don't get what I am talking about then take a look at the Bay Area of California. In the last fifty years, almost the whole of the peninsula has become prime property. Places in San Bruno or Brisbane used to go for cheap, now that's considered really close to the city and worth serious money. And it's not as if any new land will be discovered for further development. What's there now is all there is. And while I think I noticed a comment in here somewhere about a correction, I doubt its going to change by much. The only correction that will change that housing market is some sort of recession or depression, or perhaps a complete collapse of the technology industry as we know it.

Millennials haven't got a prayer.

Honestly, all they can really do is try to find the places that still exist where they can be the big fish in the little pond. And those places are disappearing fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Shut the fuck up, how is it millennials fault the economy collapsed in 08'? I mean if you're going to bitch about not thinking about the future that stands out as a much more egregious case of it. Not, I spent thousands of dollars to get a degree for a job that bottomed out.
    You find out there is not a high demand for a liberal studies degree?