Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you think the human race will evolutionarily diverge?

Its very likely (imo) that sometime in the future the human species will diverge into multiple species; either through natural or artificial selection on other planets if and when we are ever able to terraform and colonize Mars and other planets, the integration of cybernetics into our bodies or the introduction, removal or modification of genes into the human genome.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2017-04-07 at 02:01 PM.

I can see it happening if we colonize other planets. The distance will create different lifestyles and cultures, leading up to divergence after many generations.

I've pondered whether humans would allow the species to diverge, rather than say "weeding it out".

Deleted
    it would be cool but the rippers will harvest us if shepard doesnt save the mlky way

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible, but it will (obviously) take a long time. Physical isolation and environmental differences would probably be the greatest drivers of speciation - Such as a Mars colony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    it would be cool but the rippers will harvest us if shepard doesnt save the mlky way
    Damn right

OT:

Possibly. At this point, it would require a civilization reset or space colonization and a butt load of time for it to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see a group of people modifying themselves to prevent others from genetically intermingling. Cool premise for a book actually.

Deleted
    It has happened in the past, no reason it wouldn't happen again.

Deleted
    The wealthy will diverge into super intelligent, super good looking beings using genetic and cyborg technologies. The rest of us will pretty much stay the same and eventually be wiped out most likely.

Deleted
    We can cleary see this happening in earthly locations that have been cut off from civilisation for some time, such as Essex and Alabama.

It will happen on Mars. Every living creature adapts to the environment.

It amazes me how a lot of people discuss unlikely (far away) as if they were real close to happen; this is something why I look futurologists with contempt. We don't discuss the possibility of unicorns secretly existing on Earth, yet we treat this sci-fi issues with so much seriousness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    It amazes me how a lot of people discuss unlikely (far away) as if they were real close to happen; this is something why I look futurologists with contempt. We don't discuss the possibility of unicorns secretly existing on Earth, yet we treat this sci-fi issues with so much seriousness.
    It amazes me how a lot of people discuss sports as if they were really important; this is something why I look sports fans with contempt. We don't discuss the possibility of unicorns secretly existing on Earth, yet we treat this sports issues with so much seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    It amazes me how a lot of people discuss sports as if they were really important; this is something why I look sports fans with contempt. We don't discuss the possibility of unicorns secretly existing on Earth, yet we treat this sports issues with so much seriousness.
    Sports at least is happening now. The scenarios futurologists describe are basically sci-fi.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-04-07 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Its very likely (imo) that sometime in the future the human species will diverge into multiple species; either through natural or artificial selection on other planets if and when we are ever able to terraform and colonize Mars and other planets, the integration of cybernetics into our bodies or the introduction, removal or modification of genes into the human genome.
    Maybe but it seems far mor likely that we'll go extinct long befor that happens.

It is possible. One of the main things coming down the pipe is mechanical augmentation to humans. Like implanting a CPU to the brain for faster information fetching. If for what ever reason you have a large enough group of people who have some kind of allergy to said tech inclusion that could be the start. Then you'd have people augmented with tech ala Borg style and others who cannot.

Deleted
    If no dumb gorilla with yellow hair is going to bomb our world to nuclear winter before we reach space, i am sure the human race will split in million of years to come.

Even up to the point that our grand^10 children will go to invade the source of their existence.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-04-07 at 03:48 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Damn right

OT:

Possibly. At this point, it would require a civilization reset or space colonization and a butt load of time for it to happen.

Wouldn't we have to be far enough advanced as a race for them to even consider harvesting us?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    I can see it happening if we colonize other planets. The distance will create different lifestyles and cultures, leading up to divergence after many generations.
    Same here, I don't see it happening unless we leave the planet. With huge distances between planets, I can see people becoming a sorta new species. But here on Earth, a human is a human.

That being said, I envision the future for humans to be a bit strange. For one, lots of people are going to be against gene editing, but at the same time will edit their genes for their health. Basically you'll have people who will be editing to look better, be stronger, and smarter, and those who do it so they can live. There will be some people with cyber implants, but something like a chip in the brain for faster communication with computers, and even then mostly to play games.

At some point millenials will be hated in the future, like 100+ years into the future. Hated cause they'll look like 25 years olds or younger, and cause a lot of issues. Millenials will be so extremely genetically modified that people in the future will be against them for either religious reasons or ethical reasons. To the point where people born after millenials will be trying to look older, to distance themselves from millenials. There's going to be hate groups, that seek out millenials and hurt them or kill them. And they have good reasons when millenials are going to have relationships with much younger people, even so far as to attend their schools.

I also believe millenials will be the last true generation, and even in 200 years into the future you can point them out cause they will give themselves Anime like characteristics. Something only millenials will know about. The future is going to be about post-millenials vs millenials for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Sports at least is happening now. The scenarios futurologists describe are basically sci-fi.
    Yea, so they're both irrelevant. And yet people still discuss both of them. Why? Because different people find different things interesting.