Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anklestabber View Post
    Sounds like the vanilla style 5-man dungeons would be the perfect content for you. Large group play basically always boils down to getting everyone to do the same dance correctly, so if you don't enjoy that you shouldn't raid. It's a shame Blizzard is forcing large group play down everyone's throats.
    I played Vanilla 5 mans... I started a few months before TBC. 40 man raids were nuts... 5/10/15 man dungeons took hours to complete. Not to say it wasn't fun but it took a damn long time. Given my current schedule, I would not be interested in that again.

I agree that players killed old school WoW with damage meters and watching TankSpot videos. Nothing... not even Vanilla servers can return that.

A bunch of whining sissies regurgitating their different mistaken reasons for why they're not enjoying themselves like they did when they were 12. Doesn't get any more lame that that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    A bunch of whining sissies regurgitating their different mistaken reasons for why they're not enjoying themselves like they did when they were 12. Doesn't get any more lame that that.
    Until you realize that you can play classic, tbc, and wrath on an ilegal legacy server and have the exact same experience as you could at the time. And with that you realize that WoW is nothing like it was in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman 747 View Post
    Until you realize that you can play classic, tbc, and wrath on an ilegal legacy server and have the exact same experience as you could at the time. And with that you realize that WoW is nothing like it was in the past.
    Is it exactly the same though? I would love to go through TBC again tbh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman 747 View Post
    For me, it's not the mystery, it's the scope of the world.

In classic through Wrath you were a murderhobo making a name of yourself by killing things that needed to die. You obtained glory and reputation by stepping above your peers and slaying the most evil of the evil, only then did you have any prestige, otherwise you were just a joe in the world. In Cata onwards, the player character is a superhero regardless of their status as a player. Raiders to the most casual of pet battlers have the same RP value because the game defines your character for you.

The shitty travel system and with mounts being so hard to get made the world absolutely expansive. There's one thing you can always argue against flying's addition, although flying in and of itself isnt a problem. It made the world small. 280% and 310% flying speed destroy the scope of the world. What was so huge became miniscule as player movement advanced in both speed and dimension. No longer did you have to navigate the world, but now you can fly up, press auto run, and get to your objective in a set amount of time.

Transmog also did a number on the natrual flow of player ranking. Prior to its addition in 4.2, there was no reliable form of epic gear outside of raiding. You could visually see who raided and who was very fresh on their character progression path.

WoW's early days are a classic RPG. Not too hard mechanically, everything was about who you know and organization. Nowdays, WoW is more of an action adventure game held back by game engine limitations. There's very little RPG to the game outside of stats. The flavor and RP elements are gone. There's no community made divisions of players into set roles anymore. There's no room to rise above and thrive, being the elite, killing the biggest of bads. There's also no room to be a meager blacksmith and make bank selling crafted goods to levelers and capped players alike. It's automatically assumed that by playing the game, you, according to lore, are the biggest, baddest motherfucker on Azaroth, even if you just want to pet battle.

Que based systems such as RDF, LFG, and LFR destroyed the ability to grow your server community by running content. In the past, when you could only play on your server, you had so much room to grow your community just by playing and contributing to group content. Now it's Que up, finish the content, leave.

WoW isn't the same game it was for me. If mythic raiding and the heavy numbers crunching and stratagy didn't exist, I wouldn't be subbed. There is no magic to this game anymore. There is no community outside of isolated guilds. Servers are dead, their concept outdated and destroyed by cross server matchmaking options. WoW is a game I treat like League of Legends or Overwatch. You log in, do your desired game mode, then log off. It's no longer about a living breathing world full of players at all progression and skill levels, it's about an isolated superhero who doesn't really make companions because he doesn't need to, because they're given to him randomly via ques.
    Perfectly said. Couldn't agree more. Also agree with the OP. It's a shame, they could fix it but they're too dislocated from the magic of the game in favour of prolonged profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Is it exactly the same though? I would love to go through TBC again tbh
    I mean, if there was a good TBC server, it would be basically the same. Issue is, TBC servers are notoriously cancer, with bad non-blizzlike scripting. and I can't really reccomend a TBC server like I can a classic or WOTLK one. I think there's a big TBC server that might pop up soon, not my place to advertise it, think its against the forum rules to premote provate servers as well, check the wowservers reddit if you want to research on your own.

My core point was that it's more than players that have changed, and that the game has evolved so much that the demographic that enjoyed earlier versions of WoW might be compeltely different than the one who enjoys Legion. I've played on legacy servers during content droughts or live server burnouts, the game is so different in the past compared to now. Classic and legion don't even resemble the same game. The way you play and think about playing, and just everything is so different. I went into Classic thinking 'okay, lets play this like legion, gogogogogogo, we can grind this out and hit objectives, and stuff', but then playing it, it's so much slower, you need to take a completely different approach and mindset to the game. Planning out objectives at various levels, determining if you need dungeon gear or if you want to continue questing, so on and so fourth. It's just a totally different experience.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    the mystery died when i hit max on my second toon in wrath, i was scub on my hunter even after i hit 80, after leveling my second toon i actually learned how to not suck ass and so the mystery was gone.

God I see a thread like this every day.

It's very simple.

Blizzard merged with Activision and changed their focus from "How do we make the best game possible?" to "How do we get as many people as possible playing?"

There is pros and cons to this. Financial backing to properly support the game is big pro, loss of emotional sincerity brought upon by a corporate environment is a big con.

The list goes on and the company will never be the same as it used to be, nor their games, for better or worse.

I don't really miss old WoW, it took an irrationally long amount of time and effort to do anything.

I like the faster pace and the more diverse content, it more accurately reflects the level at which I care about doing the content.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2017-04-08 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    Wow died when WOTLK ended. in december 2010. 2005-2010 that was real wow and we all remember how good it was. everything since cata is just a joke. its like plastic vs diamond.
    Cataclysm for the first 4 weeks was amazing, those hard heroic dungeons were great.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mingarrubia View Post
    Pretty much this. Cataclysm killed this game.
    why are you on a site for a game that has been dead for so long?

10+ Year Old Account
    Go try FFO I hear it's hella fun and fresh.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Cataclysm for the first 4 weeks was amazing, those hard heroic dungeons were great.
    I agree. I didn't like the dungeons themselves but the difficulty felt great. For a small period of time Blizzard was actually on the right path. I wonder if LFR would ever have happened if we didn't force them to change the dungeons. That was the moment everything changed.

Nu-Blizzard only cares about gameplay, not the experience. Look at all of their other recent games and you'll see a clear trend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Blizzard merged with Activision and changed their focus from "How do we make the best game possible?" to "How do we get as many people as possible playing?"
    The irony is that, as it turns out, the answer to the first question is also the answer to the second one. They can make the game as "accessible" as they like, but if it's not actually a good game, the subs will fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    so why are u still around when WoW died with end of Wotlk? the only joke here is you sir
    The good version of wow died but im still playing this shitty version because i wanna see where blizz is taking the game and because expansions are still fun at start, btw you are a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    actually yes cata was pretty good until the dragon soul patch

Wow died when WOTLK ended. in december 2010. 2005-2010 that was real wow and we all remember how good it was. everything since cata is just a joke. its like plastic vs diamond.
    I agree. WoW of WotLK and prior was an entire different beast then the lackluster stuff we've seen since. For me, it comes down to one major thing; Blizzard making it too easy to catch up. There are way too many ways to catch up if you fall behind, and the only thing that Blizzard cares about is the current patch. Back in the Vanilla - WotLK era, if you fell behind, that was fine, there were other people in the same boat that you could group and raid with. You saw the content at your own pace, and actually had to do it all if you wanted to see it all.

Deleted
    When TBC ended you mean. WOTLK was casual, bland piece of crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    When TBC ended you mean. WOTLK was casual, bland piece of crap.

I wouldn't be SO harsh on WotLK, but the mystery did die after TBC when they introduced different difficulties of raids etc.

Then do not play it. I am loving Legion.

Deleted
    When flying was introduced. It is nice to get around quicker, but it took away all sense of adventure. The gated thing is nice, but it was really not the same as exploring the deeper parts of Feralas, Eastern Plaguelands or farming CC rep in southern Silithus. The sense of exploration is not the same for me any longer.