Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Well, just my opinion, but I installed ad blocker about a month ago, and have found it to be a huge pain in the ass. So much content I want to see will not display with adblocker turned on..... thanks for reminding me to uninstall it.

No. Ads aren't just minor annoyances. They often prevent the normal use of a website, they spread viruses, they spy on you. Ads are cancer. And even if you can trust a website, you cannot trust their ad provider.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Well, just my opinion, but I installed ad blocker about a month ago, and have found it to be a huge pain in the ass. So much content I want to see will not display with adblocker turned on..... thanks for reminding me to uninstall it.
    Mine didn't work with IE for some reason about a month or so ago.
    Switched over to Firefox and it seemed annoying until I added NoScript. And now it seems to be purring along.

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    I know enough to discredit your allegation, that's enough.
    In your little world, I'm sure you do.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Deleted
    it's not wrong to block ads. you ultimately have the right to decide what code you run on your pc. quite similar to it not being wrong to switch channel on your tv during commercials in that way.

it's however also not consequence free to block ads. so you can't complain if you are denied service or their business model changes to one you like even less.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-04-10 at 02:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post

You still have an hourly wage while being a server. If you'd bothered reading the rest of the conversation before giving your opinion, you'd know we already established commissioned jobs as real jobs based on the fact that there is an agreement between the one selling and the one buying. There is no agreement on twitch streaming that you will be compensated for your "service." Twitch Streamers are the same as Buskers on the corner playing their instruments with a tip jar.
    I said livable income. Most places, servers only make around $5 an hour before tips and they're generally only guaranteed minimum wage if their tips are too low to meet that. Minimum wage is not livable income in the u.s. unless you plan on sleeping on the floor in a shitty apartment with no utilities and eat ramen for your 1 meal a day. Otherwise it require multiple jobs and/or roommates, or some other kind of assistance.

Also, how is the agreement between buyer/seller even relevant to guaranteed income for people whose income is based on commission? Yes there's an agreement but there is no guarantee you will get customers, or that their credit will be good enough to make the purchase, etc. There's a lot more factors than an agreement between buyer and seller. It's more concrete than being a streamer, I agree, but the skilled salesmen will make more money in that field just like skilled entertainers who realize that they can't make money simply off of twitch tips are going to have multiple streams of revenue if that is their job.

People who only stream pretty much never use it as their primary source of income. If that is their job, they are using other means as well (youtube, patreon, etc.). If they aren't doing those other things, they probably are either a student or have a job besides. None of those things make it a "fake job". It's either being done on the side for fun (with some profit thrown in) or they're an entertainer using multiple revenue streams to make it sustainable. Your entire argument is completely disingenuous you should really stop pretending like you're better than people who've chosen a different profession than you.

As for the OT, I don't think there's anything wrong with using an adblocker since a lot of ads tend to carry viruses and whatnot. Yeah it's a revenue source for a lot of sites and you need to make that call on a site by site basis for ones you choose to support, but in general I think it's a lot safer to use uBlock Origin to protect yourself in general.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Once advertising is limited to still quiet blocks of advertising - then I'll turn off adblock.
    Thank you! This is my main reason for using adblock. I can't focus on reading an article with 17 things moving in the corner of my eye.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    I said livable income. Most places, servers only make around $5 an hour before tips and they're generally only guaranteed minimum wage if their tips are too low to meet that. Minimum wage is not livable income in the u.s. unless you plan on sleeping on the floor in a shitty apartment with no utilities and eat ramen for your 1 meal a day. Otherwise it require multiple jobs and/or roommates, or some other kind of assistance.

Also, how is the agreement between buyer/seller even relevant to guaranteed income for people whose income is based on commission? Yes there's an agreement but there is no guarantee you will get customers, or that their credit will be good enough to make the purchase, etc. There's a lot more factors than an agreement between buyer and seller. It's more concrete than being a streamer, I agree, but the skilled salesmen will make more money in that field just like skilled entertainers who realize that they can't make money simply off of twitch tips are going to have multiple streams of revenue if that is their job.

People who only stream pretty much never use it as their primary source of income. If that is their job, they are using other means as well (youtube, patreon, etc.). If they aren't doing those other things, they probably are either a student or have a job besides. None of those things make it a "fake job". It's either being done on the side for fun (with some profit thrown in) or they're an entertainer using multiple revenue streams to make it sustainable. Your entire argument is completely disingenuous you should really stop pretending like you're better than people who've chosen a different profession than you.

As for the OT, I don't think there's anything wrong with using an adblocker since a lot of ads tend to carry viruses and whatnot. Yeah it's a revenue source for a lot of sites and you need to make that call on a site by site basis for ones you choose to support, but in general I think it's a lot safer to use uBlock Origin to protect yourself in general.
    "If streamers want money, they should get a real job." As you yourself just spent 4 paragraphs saying, you cannot support yourself off of tips via streaming, thus it isn't a real job.
    Priest Warrior

And that is exactly why it's not a real job. If you want money, you need a real job. A job guarantees you income, and streaming does not guarantee you income.

You really believe (I use the word believe here because obviously you don't know, 'cause if you knew you wouldn't be making such ridiculous posts) that there aren't contracts between the streamers who do it professionally and the sites that host their content?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post

You really believe (I use the word believe here because obviously you don't know, 'cause if you knew you wouldn't be making such ridiculous posts) that there aren't contracts between the streamers who do it professionally and the sites that host their content?
    Streaming sites do not offer streamers monetary compensation for strictly for time streamed. We did cover sponsorship though, but you didn't read that, 'cause if you did you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous post.
    Priest Warrior

Deleted
    I don't think people on twitch want to make money. They can be happy I tune in. I could live without them - wonder if they could go without their viewers. So very easy: Fans will go a long way to be there for other fans. Fans watching them is enough. Money ruins it. But since people will spend money either way - let them. But this is abnormal, this is not what it once was.

imo, if streamers want money, they should get real job.
    I'll never understand the sentiment that entertainers aren't people with real jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use ad-blockers everywhere without exception quite simply because I'm the only one that can be trusted to look after my IT security. Third party ad networks are a sewer of malware and can't be trusted to vet their advertisers.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I'll never understand the sentiment that entertainers aren't people with real jobs.
    Most likely because you have no concept of what a real job is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Priest Warrior

No, its not wrong. As of now, ad are way over the top in many facets. I'd be okay if they weren;t as much. Spotify ads are a good example. You can listen to some music before encountering one, and they space them out in like 30 minute intervals. They don't seem to harm my phone at all with malware type stuff either... fuck off ads, until you can learn to behave.

Most likely because you have no concept of what a real job is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Enlighten me with your abstract definition of what a job is, then.

imo, if streamers want money, they should get real job.
    Thing is most streamers these days don't make money through ads.

Most make their money through subscriptions and tips and alternative sources like Patreon and Amazon affiliate links.

And how is streaming not a real job? Just because they get paid to play video games for others enjoyment? That doesn't mean it's not a job. They have to pay taxes just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Enlighten me with your abstract definition of what a job is, then.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink... If you bothered following the whole conversation before contributing your garbage, you'd know.

Quote Originally Posted by f3llyn View Post
    Thing is most streamers these days don't make money through ads.

Most make their money through subscriptions and tips and alternative sources like Patreon and Amazon affiliate links.

And how is streaming not a real job? Just because they get paid to play video games for others enjoyment? That doesn't mean it's not a job. They have to pay taxes just like everyone else.
    You're supposed to pay taxes on any money you receive, that doesn't make it a job. Pan handling is a job right?
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2017-04-10 at 04:10 AM.
    Priest Warrior

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink... If you bothered following the whole conversation before contributing your garbage, you'd know.
    Your original comment was stupid, so don't get sassy when people comment in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Your original comment was stupid, so don't get sassy when people comment in kind.
    Well that's just like your opinion man.
    Priest Warrior