Page 38 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    On the radio they said they offered him $800 to give up his seat.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    Like an airline getting crew to another airport? Too many people here are appealing to emotion.
    then they shouldn't allow overbooking. this is the airline's fuckup and passengers are at no fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post

He did not say "patient" I am sorry. But he is a passenger. They should be prioritized immediately over employees immediately. They can pay someone else overtime because they made a damn mistake.
    Just think, if he had just gotten up like the other three people he would not have been hurt.
    United Airlines "forcibly" removed over 3,700 people last year. Over 63,000 volunteered to give their seats up due to overbooking. United Airlines are not the worse offenders in the industry.

He did not listen to the police officers. This could have been avoided several ways. It was a long series of mistakes. Least of which was his own.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-04-11 at 03:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this always brought up? Are you suggesting they taser him? That's a better alternative than beating him? Holy shit you people are fucking nuts.
    What do you mean "you people?"

Look I don't have an opinion yet whether or not he should have been forcibly removed from the plane (I need more information than what has so far been reported), but I am of the opinion that he didn't need to be bloodied. Rendering someone immobile would seem to me to be better than how this was handled. Cops use stun tools all the time on belligerent motorists. Why did they not use one here?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I find it interesting that he wouldn't accept 800 dollars to take the next flight the following morning.

Seriously, though, these airport cops don't have stun guns or other tools to remove someone from a plane without bloodying them?
    Fun fact not everyone gives a flying fudge bar about the money. Quite often someone just wants to go from A to B without all this bullshit.

Hell if they did that to me when I have to make flights to go offshore the $800 wouldn't even cover half of a day's wages for me that I lose by being stuck somewhere I don't need to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean "you people?"

Look I don't have an opinion yet whether or not he should have been forcibly removed from the plane (I need more information than what has so far been reported), but I am of the opinion that he didn't need to be bloodied. Rendering someone immobile would seem to me to be better than how this was handled. Cops use them all the time on belligerent motorists. Why did they not use one here?
    Anyone in this thread suggesting that it's okay for a paying customer to be forcibly removed from somewhere forcibly because of a corporation's screw-up. "He shouldn't be bloodied, just use a taser." Again. That's much better? He wasn't in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Just think, if he had just gotten up like the other three people he would not have been hurt.
    United Arline "forcibly" removed over 3,700 people last year. Over 63,000 volunteered to give their seats up due to overbooking. United Airlines are not the worse offenders in the industry.
    He shouldn't have been hurt at all. Period.

And yes, other airlines are also steaming piles of shit and they're able to get away with it because consumers have no other options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone in this thread suggesting that it's okay for a paying customer to be forcibly removed from somewhere forcibly because of a corporation's screw-up.
    I haven't decided how I feel about whether or not he should have been removed in the first place, all I know is that there were better ways to handle his removal. I think I sound like a reasonable person here.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    Fun fact not everyone gives a flying fudge bar about the money. Quite often someone just wants to go from A to B without all this bullshit.

Hell if they did that to me when I have to make flights to go offshore the $800 wouldn't even cover half of a day's wages for me that I lose by being stuck somewhere I don't need to be.

Exactly, to some people it is about the most valuable commodity of all.

My opinion is that the we don't have the entire story yet and we probably never will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    You claim it is greed and I say it is the difference between running in the red or the black on your flights. If you constantly have half full flights you are not going to be in business for long.
    If you are overbooking by 100% just to make a profit, you do not deserve to stay in business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    On the radio they said they offered him $800 to give up his seat.
    Then they should have offered enough to get someone to take it without force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    $800 isn't exactly a lot of money.
    So? All I said was that I found it interesting that he wouldn't accept 800 dollars to take the next flight the following morning. I suggested nothing ominous or foolish about that. I'd just like to know more. Perhaps we'll get some insight when the man actually makes a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    He shouldn't have been hurt at all. Period.

And yes, other airlines are also steaming piles of shit and they're able to get away with it because consumers have no other options.
    That's right he shouldn't have. No one really shouldn't ever get hurt. For some reason he chose to put himself in the position to do just that. On legal grounds they asked him to leave. He wouldn't, so they had to make him leave. A struggle ensued and we saw the results.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then he should have driven home rather than made such an ugly display.
    So he should have driven home, a seven-hour drive as opposed to his 1hr flight, to make it in time to get to his patient? Genius, why didn't I think of it.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

That's right he shouldn't have. No one really shouldn't ever get hurt. For some reason he chose to put himself in the position to do just that. On legal grounds they asked him to leave. He wouldn't, so they had to make him leave. A struggle ensued and we saw the results.
    He shouldn't have been asked to leave either. He paid for his flight. It's not his fault United failed at planning and it's certainly not his fault he was assaulted for it.

You're blaming the victim and it's ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't see how it's interesting...
    Well, I'd like to know more. Don't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    United made 4.5 billion in net income last year, yet they can't properly manage their employees without booting paying customers off flights.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

So? All I said was that I found it interesting that he wouldn't accept 800 dollars to take the next flight the following morning. I suggested nothing ominous or foolish about that. I'd just like to know more. Perhaps we'll get some insight when the man actually makes a statement.
    "The passenger told the manager he was a doctor who needed to see patients in the morning" is the reported reasoning so far. That's a pretty good reason for wanting the flight rather than the money.

Could you imagine if you were all set for surgery only to get told: "Sorry, your doctor isn't here because an airline bashed him up on a plane for trying to make his flight".

Also if the money is so fucking good why don't they pay their employees that to get the next flight in the morning?

RIP United: 1926-2017. Cause of death: Re-accommodating paying customers to other airlines.

They offered $400 no one bit. They then offered $800. Again no one bit. So a United manager came on board and told the passengers that a computer would decide which 4 passengers would get picked. In other words a RNG. The other three passengers complied. He chose not to. Those four passengers were "forcibly" removed.
    Those that are "forcibly" removed may get more than $800 and a hotel night. Who knows.