FPS drops in raids. Whats do I have to upgrade

Hi everyone,

I need help because I don't know what upgrade my computer needs. When I am playing WoW and I am in a raid I only have 30 or even lower FPS and playing that wait isn't fun at all.

I built the computer in 2012. My specs are:

AMD Phenom II Black Edition Multi-Core Processor - 3.4 GHz Quad-Core; 8.0 MB Total Cache
    ASRock 970 Extreme4 Motherboard
    8 GB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 memory

Thanks for your help!

You basically need a whole new computer, CPU/MOBO/RAM will give the biggest boost for wow.

Would be helpfull if you could tell us what you use the PC for and what your budget is.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You basically need a whole new computer, CPU/MOBO/RAM will give the biggest boost for wow.

Would be helpfull if you could tell us what you use the PC for and what your budget is.
    This 100%, you deserve an upgrade

WoW is probably the most hardware intesive game I play. I was hoping that I did not have to buy all new parts . But I guess if I have to my budged would be 600-700 Euros max.

Well then have a look at the "Puppy" - Build of the month!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/build-of-the-month/

A gtx 460 is fine still believe it or not, just need to drop down to 4-5 preset. A g4560/motherboard/ram would do wonders to bring your raid FPS up.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (€65.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€73.55 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€54.17 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €193.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-11 14:48 CEST+0200

I would advise getting an AMD R5 1400 CPU and appropriate Mobo, details should come out today about those, iso above mentioned pentium which is very low end (but not bad per se) and will last you a whole lot longer.

I would also get a new GPU but you can keep it for now and see if the new CPU/mobo and ram combo provides enough of an upgrade for you.

You're still gonna get FPS drops in raids.

I just built a new computer, it's fucking savage I get over 100 FPS with everything maxed in Witcher 3, R6 Siege, ghost recon wildlands, whatever you name it. But in a WoW Raid, hi2u 30 fps.

So I use the feature that lets you lower the graphic settings only in raids (cuz my fps if fine outside of raids) and just set the useless crap like shadows and whatnot a bit lower so my fps goes back up to respectable numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I would advise getting an AMD R5 1400 CPU and appropriate Mobo, details should come out today about those, iso above mentioned pentium which is very low end (but not bad per se) and will last you a whole lot longer.

I would also get a new GPU but you can keep it for now and see if the new CPU/mobo and ram combo provides enough of an upgrade for you.
    Actually a g4560 will get similar (or possibly more?) raid FPS than even a 1800x. If WoW is his main game and he wants to spend as little as possible for the most gains possible, what i suggested is what he should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Actually a g4560 will get similar (or possibly more?) raid FPS than even a 1800x. If WoW is his main game and he wants to spend as little as possible for the most gains possible, what i suggested is what he should do.
    I don't think that's a plausible claim, but performance per dollar you are right, the G4560 can't be beat.

OP, the G4560 builds linked would be great (and cheap) upgrades over what you have. I would recommend a new GPU though, the GTX 460 has run its course and even WoW raids would benefit from a GPU upgrade. If you play any other games at all, even an in this case ironically named RX 460 or GTX 1050 would provide an inexpensive and substantial upgrade.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I don't think that's a plausible claim, but performance per dollar you are right, the G4560 can't be beat.

OP, the G4560 builds linked would be great (and cheap) upgrades over what you have. I would recommend a new GPU though, the GTX 460 has run its course and even WoW raids would benefit from a GPU upgrade. If you play any other games at all, even an in this case ironically named RX 460 or GTX 1050 would provide an inexpensive and substantial upgrade.
    Why do you not believe that to be a plausible claim? WoW uses 2-4 cores and a 3.5ghz g4560 is almost as fast in IPC to a 4.0ghz 1800x. Id bet money they would be almost identical in raid FPS in WoW.

A GPU upgrade would be a bonus as he could up the details a bit, but its not going to increase his raid FPS that is completely down to the CPU. I have a gtx 465 in my closet, i could put in in place of my gtx 1060 which is about 5x as fast and i wouldnt notice a difference (besides the lesser detail settings)

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Why do you not believe that to be a plausible claim? WoW uses 2-4 cores and a 3.5ghz g4560 is almost as fast in IPC to a 4.0ghz 1800x. Id bet money they would be almost identical in raid FPS in WoW.

A GPU upgrade would be a bonus as he could up the details a bit, but its not going to increase his raid FPS that is completely down to the CPU. I have a gtx 465 in my closet, i could put in in place of my gtx 1060 which is about 5x as fast and i wouldnt notice a difference (besides the lesser detail settings)
    To the first, in order for the G4560 to get higher FPS than the 1800X it would have to have at least a 15% IPC lead. All day one reviews I checked seem to give Ryzen an IPC of +2% to -6% of Kaby Lake, and performance has been getting better with every BIOS and driver update it seems. Any drop in performance from IPC would be balanced by the 1800X having full cores available (and a more efficient SMT implementation) for background tasks; the whole thing is purely academic anyway, we're comparing a $70 locked 2c/4t CPU to a $500 unlocked CPU with four times the cores and threads. Whatever difference there would be for purely gaming would not likely be noticeable in WoW.

-----

To the second point, I actually am curious if you were to do that what your experiences would be. It'll probably run raids just fine, I agree, though (and I am a once-a-month Raid Finder casual here) some of at least the Nighthold bosses do stress my GPU a lot more than I'm used to seeing in WoW. An inexpensive upgrade would unlock higher detail levels for WoW, but especially for any other games OP plays, as the GTX 470 I have in a secondary PC can push Overwatch at 1080p Low with the render scale at about 70% while my RX 460 happily chugs along at Medium-High with some antialiasing enabled. It really depends on what other games OP plays though.

His CPU is by far the weak link in almost any game though, being 40% slower per-clock than even the aging Sandy Bridge CPUs.
    Super casual.

Nah kaby lake is quite a ways ahead in IPC, ryzen is closer to broadwell IPC levels.

But ya, he would see an easy ~20 FPS boost in raids just by swapping the 3 parts i linked above. I did guldan LFR last night, and with the 7 preset i was getting between 48 (lowest i saw) and 70 FPS. Average was probably around 62-63 FPS depending on how much stuff was going on. I have the ryzen 1700 clocked to 3.8ghz, so he could expect similar numbers given he lowers detail down to 3 or 4 for the raid and BG tab.

Ok, first thank you all for your comments! You really helpt me a lot on understanding the problem and what I have to do now.

Second, I'm actually thinking on investing a bit more and getting one of the better components listed here. I will check the prizes and make a decision in the next days!

Again, thanks a lot everyone!

To OP: Something to look at if WoW is the most intensive game you play, the 1050ti should fit the bill nicely and still give you reasonable performance at 1080p. If looking to do a complete rebuild.
    You can cut out any components you don't need to cut the price down, I just threw everything in there as a suggestion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£52.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£62.80 @ Alza)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£61.92 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Kingston Savage 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£67.36 @ BT Shop)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card (£139.32 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£65.50 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£65.10 @ Alza)
    Total: £556.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-12 19:57 BST+0100
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2017-04-12 at 07:05 PM.

Have a look at the minimum system requirement of WOW

OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 10 with latest service pack.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 or AMD Phenom II X3 720.
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 440 or AMD Radeon HD 5670 or Intel HD Graphics 5000.
    RAM: 2 GB.

If your system meets the minimum hardware requirement then you can play this game easily.