Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    No. We are a fully volunteer army. And with the inclusion of Openly Gay acceptance and females in combat roles it doesn't look like there would be a need to draft those too cowardly to volunteer.
    You shouldn't default so quickly to an accusation of cowardice. In my view, a draft is fundamentally un-American, in that it is an attempt to force someone to fight for something they don't believe in.

Ask yourself: do you really want someone beside you on the frontlines who doesn't believe in the cause?
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said there's a possibility of war?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, and what two wars are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the US military is very much opposed to having a draft. It doesn't want to deal with the major hit to quality. Besides, we have over 1 million reserves to go through before we need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    This thread is humorous.

If and when the draft gets reinstated, you really don't have the option to decide if you are serving your country or not, you don't have a choice.

You either:

Perform your military obligation required by law within the country you reside
    Or
    Go to prison for the duration of the war plus a minimum of three years or maximum to life plus be charged with treason
    Or
    Leave the country and never come back.

You don't get an option to decide if you are serving or not, you either serve as you should or you become a criminal. Modern medicine has come such a long way the ailments from the last military drafts should not preclude anyone.

Jimmy Thick- Your gonna carry that weight.
    This is even more humorous. You know there's a draft evader as president right now? One who didn't do any of your given options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    This thread is humorous.

If and when the draft gets reinstated, you really don't have the option to decide if you are serving your country or not, you don't have a choice.

You either:

Perform your military obligation required by law within the country you reside
    Or
    Go to prison for the duration of the war plus a minimum of three years or maximum to life plus be charged with treason
    Or
    Leave the country and never come back.

You don't get an option to decide if you are serving or not, you either serve as you should or you become a criminal. Modern medicine has come such a long way the ailments from the last military drafts should not preclude anyone.

Jimmy Thick- Your gonna carry that weight.
    Can you stop with your fake military man egocentrism? This amount of cringe is making my eyes turn inside out. I can see my own sockets. Also your quotes are stupid lol. Stop quoting yourself, you look foolish.

The draft will never again be instated, it's too much of a mess to organize. It would take a long time to arrange this. If the need ever arose, the military would increase incentives, and get people to volunteer. (Insert joke about United Airlines and their incentives/'volunteers')

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    I'm assuming Russia due to tensions with Syria (us attacking Syria, Syria being a Russian patsy/puppet/ally, etc.) and China (them building islands in major shipping lanes that were previously owned by no one and the U.S. being forced to protect allies/shipping interests).
    Well, there has never been a shooting war between two nuclear nations. I think there are like 50 more levels of worry before they would actually go to full on war with each other, knowing neither side can win. The Chinese islands are worrisome but, again, nuclear nations don't really oppose each other so, those islands will never block US ships from passing. In the event of a war, they would be focal points for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas
    Quote your references. Drilling reservist, combat MOS, no change to my schedule.
    Massive spike in mobilization postings on navy side for most ratings for definite recall "involuntary BOG", govdelivery is blowing up my registered email.

Coworkers, who are recently separated marines, getting notice today they are being activated on definite recall. One broke into tears over the news. Others are on edge, some hyped, as they know their names are in that same pool.

Though everything I have seen, and the folks I know who are being recalled or activated, none are actual combat MOS's.

Beyond what's available through reserve portals/sources, no major public announcement beyond a chunk of NAS Lemoore emptying out and a carrier strike group being mobilized to Korean Peninsula.

On a personal note, I signed waivers for a specific mobilization opportunity in Afghanistan back in OCT only to lose the opportunity. I got a call the other night being told to standby because the paperwork was still valid. Pretty shit timing given I just relocated and have good shit in motion.

We may not officially be in war, but shit is transpiring.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What two wars?

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Can you stop with your fake military man egocentrism? This amount of cringe is making my eyes turn inside out. I can see my own sockets. Also your quotes are stupid lol. Stop quoting yourself, you look foolish.

The draft will never again be instated, it's too much of a mess to organize. It would take a long time to arrange this. If the need ever arose, the military would increase incentives, and get people to volunteer. (Insert joke about United Airlines and their incentives/'volunteers')
    The problem with a volunteer army though is that it tends to only attract people who don't have any opportunities in civilian life, whereas a conscript army would theoretically be a more representative cross section of society, though of course the elites will always find ways to get their children out of harm's way. Conscript armies tend to have a bad reputation because they're generally used in underdeveloped countries where the average soldier is a poor, uneducated peasant, but there's no reason it would be like that in the USA. Granted, most of us probably aren't physically fit enough to be an asset in a serious fight, but the majority of draftees could be kept away from front line combat until absolutely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    No, the US military is very much opposed to having a draft. It doesn't want to deal with the major hit to quality. Besides, we have over 1 million reserves to go through before we need more.
    As of FY2016
    1,301,300 Active
    447,500 Guard
    363,500 SELRES
    769,900 Civilian

Above figures do not reflect Individual Ready Reserve (Inactive Reserve)

On the note of quality, the biggest point of the downsizing our military forces has been working towards was the idea of going to a smaller but more specialized (quality) forces.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    As of FY2016
    1,301,300 Active
    447,500 Guard
    363,500 SELRES
    769,900 Civilian

Above figures do not reflect Individual Ready Reserve (Inactive Reserve)

On the note of quality, the biggest point of the downsizing our military forces has been working towards was the idea of going to a smaller but more specialized (quality) forces.
    The base quality comes from having an all volunteer professional military, conscripts are just not worth the effort short of total war.

Deleted
    Americans will never be drafted. Their current military is all about call of duty "bomb the shit out of brown people from the chair somewhere in the states".
    So don't worry, your politicians will never cross that red line. They can't, because you don't know how to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The base quality comes from having an all volunteer professional military, conscripts are just not worth the effort short of total war.
    To be fair, not all volunteers can meet that quality expectation either. That's how we ended up with things like the ERBs and other downsizing activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The age limit in the US is 45, though 18 to 26 year olds or anyone with needed special skills up to 45 go first.
    I have over 320K HKs in Wow, another 150K in SWTOR and probably 200K in Rift... guess I need to suit up. I have a feeling the people of... wait, i play healers, but I'm not a doctor... sorz, can't help yaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    The weird bit is they might - the rise of drone warfare has begun. Robots rule war now. The AI isn't good enough to do threat assessment yet, but we may well begin to see remote-operated robotic infantry in the next major conflict.

Strap a machine gun on a small drone and rig it up to a Playstation controller, put a bunch of CoD-kids behind them, and cycle them between 12 hours a day of simulated combat, and 6 hours of daily fly-time (their usual basement-dwelling training regiment): and they'll be barrel rolling through buildings landing headshots like aimbots in a matter of months.

War is hell.

But just wait till it's full of shitlord 12 year olds literally teabagging your corpse IRL (truck nuts on their drones?).
    Nobody wants to be left out on the battlefield when that day becomes reality.
    Wasn't this basically the plot of "Gamer"?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Wasn't this basically the plot of "Gamer"?
    Enders Game, no one has ever accused Yvaelle of having an original thought.

By draft I assume you mean conscription. If that is the case, hell no. I would rather be sent to prison than be conscripted to a war where there is 0% chance of an enemy invading my country. Syria...nothing will come of it nor will it in NK. China, Russia, UK etc are way too economically vested in each other for another "war" to happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Enders Game, no one has ever accused Yvaelle of having an original thought.
    Gamer too in a way. In Gamer they were controlling actual people rather than drones.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Gamer too in a way. In Gamer they were controlling actual people rather than drones.
    Never read it, or is it a movie? Sounds interesting though.