Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Canada to introduce legislation for the legalization of Marijuana today at 3 EST

Jumping the gun a bit to post this since it's not 3 yet, but still exciting:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicati...&File=12&Col=1

Some information regarding the proposed legislation that was leaked to the CBC (now confirmed):

• Proposed legislation will largely follow the recommendations of the Task Force assigned to research the legalization process
    • Personal transport is limited to 30g
    • Can grow up to 4 plants for personal use
    • Federal government will be in charge of licensing
    • Federal minimum age to buy set to 18, but provinces can raise it
    • Provincial government will be in charge of pricing and distribution

I will update this post with more info once the bill is introduced.

Some new info:

• Edibles and oil will be allowed to be sold
    • Can be fined for carrying over the carry limit of 30g
    • 14 years in prison for illegal distribution or sale
    • Youth targeted marketing will be prohibited
    • Self-serve or vending machine vendor will be prohibited
    • $1000 fine to life imprisonment for driving within 2 hours of being above the legal blood limit

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mari...bill-1.4069178
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-04-13 at 04:49 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna be a fun drive up north.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Hopefully you live south of one of the more sane provinces. I fully expect Ontario to fuck it up. I've already contacted my MPP (with a well written, polite, email) in hopes of getting a response on their plans for this but of course no response.

In complete contrast were I emailed my MP in regards to election reform and pretty much called them lying cowards who then immediately responded to me apologizing for his parties actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    War on Drugs 2017 is gonna be weird.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Hopefully you live south of one of the more sane provinces. I fully expect Ontario to fuck it up. I've already contacted my MPP (with a well written, polite, email) in hopes of getting a response on their plans for this but of course no response.

In complete contrast were I emailed my MP in regards to election reform and pretty much called them lying cowards who then immediately responded to me apologizing for his parties actions.
    fuck.... would be Ontario

10+ Year Old Account
    I never smoked marijuana before. I do not intend to after the bill becomes law. But I agree with the bill nonetheless.

While I think this is a step up from the state things are in with it being illegal, I hope it doesn't end up like alcohol (i.e. a social norm).

First heroin and now marijuana, what's next?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    I never smoked marijuana before. I do not intend to after the bill becomes law. But I agree with the bill nonetheless.
    This statement reminds me of Ron Paul back in the 2012 election

"how many of you would do cocaine if I legalized it tomorrow" Ron Paul said

I think like one guy raised his hand

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    prostitution!

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If we're lucky all drugs will be at the very least decriminalized for possession.

- - - Updated - - -

prostitution!
    Prostitution is already legal in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now the Trailer Park boys won't have anything to get arrested for if this goes through?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrianth View Post
    if we're lucky all drugs will be at the very least decriminalized for possession.

- - - updated - - -

prostitution is already legal in canada.
    when are you inviting me to the freakin party!

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    While I think this is a step up from the state things are in with it being illegal, I hope it doesn't end up like alcohol (i.e. a social norm).
    I don't think so, or at least not in the same way. Alcohol doesn't stick its smell on everything, it's far easier to deal with in general. I mean, no one really cares if ppl around them drink(so long as they don't become super drunk and cause trouble) while smoking around people can be very annoying.

I guess it will mainly lift the "taboo" around it's illegality and make it a little more mainstream, but the social norm? I highly doubt that.
    Last edited by Swalload; 2017-04-12 at 06:28 PM.

I dont smoke, Most likely never will but im excited for this because of the money the country will earn. But they need to stop trying to control pricing, its going to kill the market instantly and drive people to getting it illegally anyways.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    I don't think so, or at least not in the same way. Alcohol doesn't stick it's smell on everything, it's far easier to deal with in general. I mean, no one really cares if ppl around them drink(so long as they don't become super drunk and cause trouble) while smoking around people can be very annoying.

I guess it will mainly lift the "taboo" around it's illegality and make it a little more mainstream, but the social norm? I highly doubt that.
    Smoking weed will most likely follow the same laws regarding smoking cigarettes so there wont be much issue regarding smoking around others who don't enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This statement reminds me of Ron Paul back in the 2012 election

"how many of you would do cocaine if I legalized it tomorrow" Ron Paul said

I think like one guy raised his hand

- - - Updated - - -

prostitution!
    Hehe

It seems the bill is more symbolic considering the marijuana smokers are such a minority.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I dont smoke, Most likely never will but im excited for this because of the money the country will earn. But they need to stop trying to control pricing, its going to kill the market instantly and drive people to getting it illegally anyways.
    They probably won't control it directly, but they will most likely tack on sin taxes in much the same way as alcohol or cigarettes. Which will obviously have an impact on how stores price it.

Wait, when was Heroin made legal? I know of the ONE safe injection site (that keeps getting threatened), but that doesn't mean it's legal.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Hehe

It seems the bill is more symbolic considering the marijuana smokers are such a minority.
    Actual smokers may be a minority but the vast majority approve of drug reform (either decriminalizing or full legalization)

The one thing i wish Norway would learn from Canada on.