Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I hope so. Fewer MMO-Champion posters is always a good thing.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't know if those numbers are 100% accurate (they seem a little on the low side). In any case it illustrates that wars have changed. We don't just throw bodies at each other anymore. There isn't a need for the draft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    I hope so. Fewer MMO-Champion posters is always a good thing.
    Spoken like a true contributor...

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    I already served, so I wont be. Still I dont think they will ever institute the Draft again. If they do, they needs to include the Womens. Its their right!
    Amen!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post

I don't know if those numbers are 100% accurate (they seem a little on the low side). In any case it illustrates that wars have changed. We don't just throw bodies at each other anymore. There isn't a need for the draft.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoken like a true contributor...

Amen!
    Deaths are much lower but casualties remain pretty similar when you consider the amount of troops deployed, nowadays it is much easier to get a wounded soldier to a real hospital and have good surgeons working on them within the hour. Vietnam was the turning point for battlefield medicine with the introduction of good helicopters that could get in and out quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Vietnam draft went over like a wet, eggy shart. I don't see the draft being instated short of a direct and prolonged attack on continental US soil, especially not when we already have the world's biggest military a few times over and a ready stream of volunteers. Trying to instate it before that sort of crisis scenario would be political suicide for everyone who signed off on it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Deaths are much lower but casualties remain pretty similar when you consider the amount of troops deployed, nowadays it is much easier to get a wounded soldier to a real hospital and have good surgeons working on them within the hour. Vietnam was the turning point for battlefield medicine with the introduction of good helicopters that could get in and out quickly.
    Casualties = death.

I think that's just about all I need to say to refute your know-it-all (or nothing) response.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    The Vietnam draft went over like a wet, eggy shart. I don't see the draft being instated short of a direct and prolonged attack on continental US soil, especially not when we already have the world's biggest military a few times over and a ready stream of volunteers. Trying to instate it before that sort of crisis scenario would be political suicide for everyone who signed off on it.
    To be fair though... we invaded Iraq with claims of WMDs... and none were found... yet all the blame fell on Bush.

I don't think anyone expects Trump to win another election. His entry into politics was political suicide from the get go. Look I solved our Social Security problem... no more people!

Deleted
    Casualties = death.

I think that's just about all I need to say to refute your know-it-all (or nothing) response.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair though... we invaded Iraq with claims of WMDs... and none were found... yet all the blame fell on Bush.

I don't think anyone expects Trump to win another election. His entry into politics was political suicide from the get go. Look I solved our Social Security problem... no more people!
    I thought it was pretty clear in my post that not all casualties mean death, kind of the point of my entire post.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was pretty clear in my post that not all casualties mean death, kind of the point of my entire post.
    Which has zero relevance to the picture I posted which clearly reads "deaths" and not "casualties". Which has more to do with how we engage in battle and technological advances in war toys, and less to do with life saving techniques, or advances in medical technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    As I said, you don't need to send hundreds of thousands anymore. I still think you're missing the point on the amount needed to send. It way smaller than you think, This isn't world war 2 anymore. A smaller group of soldiers backed up with Drones, Helicopters, Jets and Gunships, Thats how war is fought now. You're acting as if im saying send zero troops but you can send much much less nowadays.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, China isn't going to stand by, Plus I think Russia would get their hands in this mess if the US attacked. It depends on how much connections the Russian investigation uncovers, Trumps gonna do something else to distract away from his involvment.

Also, Stop underestimating China. Stop underestimating every enemy you attack. This is how you get caught off guard. Always assume China will attack if you attack an ally. China will not stand idly by, it threatens their emergence as a World Power now that the US is waning.
    It's dependent on opposing forces. We sent tens of thousands in ww2 and Vietnam because of enemy force size. It's all relative to what the opposition brings, and just as important as it was in history. We bomb a city, enemy forces moves in by the thousands to reoccupy, for example. We send 3x as many, generally. Again, this is dependent on who controls the air space as well as terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Enders Game, no one has ever accused Yvaelle of having an original thought.
    Nobody has ever accused you of being a civil poster either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Height and weight for sure, but the current APFT allows those liabilities to exist in line units. If you can't meet a requirement you don't belong on the line, and ahould have never been put there in the first place. But since you can score 20 or 30 points per event (I don't remember) in basic and still go to your MOS creates that liability instead of reclassing them after basic.
    The requirements of APFT in basic are a joke. I think for my age it was 30 push ups, 36 situps, 17:40 2 mile. But, yeah, those standards are a liability at infantry units. However, they are just right for units like mine which are Comm's support units.

A year or so ago, I didn't think a US civil war was a likely possibility... now there's dozens of scenarios I could imagine that would lead to a splintering of states.

I don't *think* there will be a draft in the near future...

but I *do* think its likelihood has increased due to Trump with everything else being equal.

He has shown a mindtwistingly inane ability to get people to shoot themselves in the foot and then pass the blame onto a defenseless third party.

I think Trump could benefit by following the Vietnam War's lead. (heck, by the time the wars he starts are over, he's well out of office anyways). It gives him a readymade excuse that he's "helping people" by giving them jobs instead of "mooching off welfare", and then when they get injured or killed its not because of Trump, its because they are "bad soldiers.. lazy sick..", and meanwhile the population of loyalists rise as the discontents are shipped off to die.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No, machines are far better at war than soldiers are, and you don't have to pay them nearly as much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Nah man! Those Call of Duty kids would rekt it out there!
    That is sadly extremely true. My son-in-law and his bro-gamer friends (who think shooting guns in the woods while drunk is a good time) have nearly no combat initiative, expertise, or instinct. What they think that they know hurts them more than someone that has an indifferent, inexperienced view of war. They expect war to be an action-packed game where they think that they get to shoot up whoever crosses them, like rules of engagement and the Geneva convention aren't a thing... I mean, the first time that I mentioned it, he thought it was a type of food.... They also think that they are essentially immortal. :|
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

President Trump and President Xi of China are besties now. Who saw that coming?
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-04-13 at 02:41 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account

Not technically Trump himself, but the Congressmen who sign off on the draft. That's about the biggest silver platter you can possibly hand over to the opposing candidates, just like when public sentiment during Vietnam turned against the draft.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Send the millenials to war, just let them take their phablets and netflix subs with them, they'll be fine. It'll straighten that generation out imo. Nothing straightens out a generation like a good war, my grand pappy used to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aethermachine View Post
    Send the millenials to war, just let them take their phablets and netflix subs with them, they'll be fine. It'll straighten that generation out imo. Nothing straightens out a generation like a good war, my grand pappy used to say.
    yeah! lets get more millennials killed in the middle east! Because its good to fight a pointless war that actually does nothing for the United States

Hopefully the millennials all get drafted so we can weed out the weak. No iphones or instagram on the battlefield.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ujx View Post
    Hopefully the millennials all get drafted so we can weed out the weak. No iphones or instagram on the battlefield.
    U mean everyone who posts on /pol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    I would applaude the reinstatement of the military draft in America. I also feel both men and women of proper age be drafted. This snowflake generation has it far too good and need to understand America is the greatest country on earth and everyone should be prepared to die for it if your country calls you.

I'm a former Marine and I take great pride knowing the sacrifices I made to defend this nation made me into the successful person I am today. America's youth should follow my example and if need be die for the ideals that make America great if called.

Jimmy Thick- If you won't defend this nation with your life you should probably leave it.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll get whipped into shape, rest assured.

Jimmy Thick- Always room for Jello.
    Rofl. That was your choice. I know this is new for you, but other people take different paths, they all lead to sacrifice. Some ideals, like the one you blindly subscribe to, are not worth fighting for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aethermachine View Post
    I'm sure those who didn't make it would say the same.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2017-04-13 at 03:50 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention the skill and knowledge of a combat medic alone is probably better than a military doctor circa even WW1: to say nothing of all the tech we have now that would boggle their minds. Our ability to stabilize gunshot wounds has skyrocketed even just over the last couple decades.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter