Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Using excessively large blasts just for the hell of it does nothing to win wars, but it does make war more expensive, which makes it easier for the US to "lose" them
    You have no idea how rich we are. California alone is richer than France.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffernut View Post
    While I think ISIS is absolutely abhorrent - will this count as an attack on ISIS, or an attack on Afghanistan? More to the point, is this considered an act of war? I am not trying to be nonsensical; I am truly trying to figure it out.
    I would see it as an act of war, same as the US bombing Syria.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I hope they wrote something funny on the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    How do you know it was for nothing?

Personally, I don't agree with any of our military policies. I think these little conflicts are silly, a waste of time and we don't get anything out of them.

However, after seeing the rules of engagement under Obama- I felt really bad for the soldiers over there as their hands were very dangerously tied and I felt they were put at greater risk.

I feel they don't deserve that. They are people that volunteered to fight for their country. They deserve better than to be sent to some hell hole and having to fight the enemy with their hands tied behind their back, putting their lives in even greater danger.

Not only that, but you can't win with your hands tied behind your back. So, to my thinking, we are always garunteed a loss in these "conflicts."

It is nice to (maybe) see a change of policy. Hopefully we can wrap up these conflicts, get our men home and learn from these mistakes. I have a feeling the military/ industrial complex doesn't want that though - so we probably won't see it.
    The thing you have to realise here is the so called "war on terror" or against terrorism can never be won only fought... the only option a smaller force with lesser tech has against a superior force is terroism and due to its nature as long as there's people fighting for the cause all that can be done to combat it where possible and minimise the damage they cause and likewise the terrorist cannot win either only cause damage.
    Until both sides actually realise that neither side can actually win, sit down and hammer out an agreed peace its likely to just go on and on.

The problem here with ISIS is its religion based rather than territorial in nature, which makes any agreed peace unlikely.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think ISIS is absolutely abhorrent - will this count as an attack on ISIS, or an attack on Afghanistan? More to the point, is this considered an act of war? I am not trying to be nonsensical; I am truly trying to figure it out.
    It depends on whether or not Afghanistan was consulted on the issue. Information is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If the goal is to be a show of power to other nations, yes.
    Yes, we must show them our true power...

Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It depends on whether or not Afghanistan was consulted on the issue. Information is lacking.
    This was my thought as well. Last I checked, and it was a while ago, we were allied with Afghanistan...correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You have no idea how rich we are. California alone is richer than France.
    I did not write that.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The bombs not meant for ISIS, its for others to see.
    quoted for truth

Homophobia is so gay.

Afghanistan has given the US permission to operate within its territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    This was my thought as well. Last I checked, and it was a while ago, we were allied with Afghanistan...correct?
    We were until at least today, yes. It is quite possible we conferred with their military and used this bomb to try to collapse tunnels to contain them.

But this still smacks of "keep using explosives until my poll numbers go up".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Afghanistan has given the US permission to operate within its territory.
    Thanks. 10chars

15+ Year Old Account
    Bomb designed to destroy caves in the middle of the desert used to destroy caves in the middle of the desert.. COLOUR ME SHOCKED!

Nice use of the word "Nuclear" in the title though from the media.. Gotta keep that fear mongering up.
    Last edited by Trollhammer; 2017-04-13 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    My firstt hought: they are fieldtesting it because they will use them in North Korea soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    MOAB is ~11 tons of TNT, it's roughly half the yield of one of our smallest tactical nukes and about the same size on the smaller end of the Davy Crockett bazooka-fired nuke.

It would take a LOT of MOABs to reach a single fatman
    By comparison, "Little Boy" was 15 kilotons of TNT.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

22 million dollars to destroy a cave, some isis, few citizens and a bunch of innocent people i am sure.

well i am sure this is not going to radicalize anyone...nope only positive things come out of bombing people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    By comparison, "Little Boy" was 15 kilotons of TNT.
    Yeah I'm seeing a lot of comparisons drawn on other forums between the MOAB and the bombs we dropped on Japan but there is just no comparing the two. The ONLY nuke it is comparable to is the size of a beach ball, and even that is capable of twice the yield as a MOAB.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Doesnt larger bimb mean more civ casualties?
    First of all, worrying about civilian casualties is how you lose wars. It takes all the effective means for winning a war off the table. We never wouldve won WW2 if we were worried about german civilians being caught up in the fighting. Winning a war requires collateral damage.

Secondly where this bomb was dropped was in the middle of the mountains and it was designed to flatten all the tunnels running through them. It wasnt dropped in a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Using excessively large blasts just for the hell of it does nothing to win wars, but it does make war more expensive, which makes it easier for the US to "lose" them.
    Dropping big ass bombs is better than dropping troops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Yeah I'm seeing a lot of comparisons drawn on other forums between the MOAB and the bombs we dropped on Japan but there is just no comparing the two. The ONLY nuke it is comparable to is the size of a beach ball, and even that is capable of twice the yield as a MOAB.
    yeah, about equivalent of a Davey Crocket. Which are frankly bat-guano insane devices...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-