Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

1x 1080ti or SLI 1080s

I currently have this card:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GRRRRLO..._lNm8ybFTADAT4

(it's the one clocked at 1936 MHz)

I was wondering what would perform better. 1 Asus strix 1080 ti oc edition or the above card in sli. I'm using a 3440x1440 monitor. Ay help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    I currently have this card:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GRRRRLO..._lNm8ybFTADAT4

(it's the one clocked at 1936 MHz)

I was wondering what would perform better. 1 Asus strix 1080 ti oc edition or the above card in sli. I'm using a 3440x1440 monitor. Ay help would be greatly appreciated.thanks
    Basically, you're going to be better off with a single more powerful card than any sort of multi-GPU setup. The multi-GPU set ups have issues of their own and generally require some sort of profile from nVidia or AMD to be supported in a game.

Two one notch down cards are always going beat 1 card in terms of frame rates, but in many respects the whole point of the 1080ti, is that it can sustain 60 fps @ 4k resolution (higher than your monitor) with all or nearly all the eye candy on max.

So what's the point of a multi-GPU setup? These days it really only makes any sense what so ever if you are running multiple high resolutions screens and if you're running that sort of rig, you probably simply don't care about costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Basically, you're going to be better off with a single more powerful card than any sort of multi-GPU setup. The multi-GPU set ups have issues of their own and generally require some sort of profile from nVidia or AMD to be supported in a game.

Two one notch down cards are always going beat 1 card in terms of frame rates, but in many respects the whole point of the 1080ti, is that it can sustain 60 fps @ 4k resolution (higher than your monitor) with all or nearly all the eye candy on max.

So what's the point of a multi-GPU setup? These days it really only makes any sense what so ever if you are running multiple high resolutions screens and if you're running that sort of rig, you probably simply don't care about costs.
    Ghost Recon: Wildlands comes to mind

No but seriously, what you said is right.

The SLI setup will beat the 1080ti in games that truly support SLI (not like the mass effect. Bioware claimed to support SLI but it runs like shit) but you will have to test different SLI profiles in most games.

To be honest I think you should just keep the 1080. upgrading from a XX80 to a XX80ti in the same GPU family isn't really worth it IMO.

Deleted
    SLI 1080 ti and you'll be fine

One single more powerful card is better in 90% of cases. Unless you find that odd AAA game that is optimized and can use the power of 2 SLI cards. But no buy 1 1080ti and pick up another later if you need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 1080 Ti is considered a joke in the industry. SLI or Crossfire is also considered a joke. Would a 1080 Ti or SLI be better than what you have? Maybe, cause SLI can perform worse in some games, and the 1080 Ti is like an overclocked 1080. Stick with what you got.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1080ti 4xSLI obviously
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Ghost Recon: Wildlands comes to mind

No but seriously, what you said is right.

The SLI setup will beat the 1080ti in games that truly support SLI (not like the mass effect. Bioware claimed to support SLI but it runs like shit) but you will have to test different SLI profiles in most games.

To be honest I think you should just keep the 1080. upgrading from a XX80 to a XX80ti in the same GPU family isn't really worth it IMO.
    QFT. Unless you just won the lottery, it's not worth the expense of going from a 1080 to a 1080Ti. Yeah, you'll get bragging rights about having the faster card but the real world performance gain in a game will be tiny. Is it worth dropping $700+ on getting an extra 5-10 fps? If your pc doesn't feel fast enough, you probably can get a larger gain with more system memory (if below 16 GB) or a newer SSD to improve game load times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The 1080 Ti is considered a joke in the industry. SLI or Crossfire is also considered a joke. Would a 1080 Ti or SLI be better than what you have? Maybe, cause SLI can perform worse in some games, and the 1080 Ti is like an overclocked 1080. Stick with what you got.
    What? The 1080ti has had nothing but praises. it's a 2016 Titan X for half the price. It's also 30%+ more powerful than a 1080 and is a completely different card.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

Multi-GPU support is variable.
    Scaling results can and do vary from one game to the next, if they even support it.

Most reliable benefit will be gained from a single GPU.
    Most potential from a multi-GPU setup, but "your mileage may vary".
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    This precisely, no point really... I was enjoying gaming with my 970 until recently getting the 1080 Ti recently, and I run a 3440x1440 monitor too, now if it was a 100Hz monitor then I'd have even more reason to want the higher-end card.

OP should just wait at least for the 2080/2080 Ti, if not the 3000 series cards.

If you wanted the 1080 Ti, your best bet would have been to wait for it instead of buying the 1080 (especially at those shitty launch prices) unless you had a crap card before, then understandable. But this is pretty much wasteful unless you really need it for some super graphics-intense game.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    These are not the droids you are looking for.
    HOLY SHIT a Synthaxx sighting! How you doing man? Long time no see 'round these parts!

- - - Updated - - -

1080 Ti is considered a joke? 1080 Ti is "like an overclocked 1080"???

Are you salty that you paid full price for a 1080 at launch or what? These statements are trash.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Full die GP104 = 1080
    Cut-down GP104 = 1070

Full die GP102 = Quadro P6000 / Titan Xp
    Cut-down GP102 = Titan X Pascal
    Even more cut-down GP102 = 1080Ti

10+ Year Old Account
    Lulz? The fuck are talking about? There is nothing but praise going on for 1080Ti in the industry and fuck man, I'd love to see you overclocking 1080 to offer 30% more performance, because that's what 1080Ti is.

Sounds like you are salty about something.

Why is it considered a joke?

The 1080 Ti is considered a joke in the industry.
    this post is considered a joke xD

It's also 30%+ more powerful than a 1080
    thats at 1440p, at 4K the 1080Ti is actually closer to 35% (sometimes 40%) over stock 1080

Cut-down GP102 = Titan X Pascal
    Even more cut-down GP102 = 1080Ti
    1080Ti has the same number of cores as XP (3584) .. 1GB less VRAM (thats irrelevant), but faster memory

@OP if you have 3440x1440 then I would just stick to 1x 1080 and wait till Big Volta tbh .. 3440x1440 isnt as taxing as 4K

but if you must upgarde now then get the 1x 1080Ti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Lulz? The fuck are talking about? There is nothing but praise going on for 1080Ti in the industry and fuck man, I'd love to see you overclocking 1080 to offer 30% more performance, because that's what 1080Ti is.

Sounds like you are salty about something.
    This is the generally consensus I'm hearing about the 1080 Ti and now the Titan Xp. While the Ti is faster, it isn't worth buying over the regular 1080. The Titan Xp is an even bigger joke, as not long ago Nvidia had released the 1080 Ti. Jayztwocents even states that the 1080 Ti's aren't worth over the 1080 for Terry Crews's computer. Yes, that Terry Crews. And the Titan Xp is much faster than the 1080 Ti, which would be worth getting if you had money to burn.

This is the generally consensus I'm hearing about the 1080 Ti and now the Titan Xp. While the Ti is faster, it isn't worth buying over the regular 1080. The Titan Xp is an even bigger joke, as not long ago Nvidia had released the 1080 Ti. Jayztwocents even states that the 1080 Ti's aren't worth over the 1080 for Terry Crews's computer. Yes, that Terry Crews. And the Titan Xp is much faster than the 1080 Ti, which would be worth getting if you had money to burn.

thats a lot of fail in just 1 post

xD

as for whoever Jayz2cents is - either you're misinforming us about what he says, or he is an idiot

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've literally not seen any reviewers say "don't buy the 1080 Ti."

They're all giving it awards, praising it, etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I just picked up the ASUS ROG STRIX 1080Ti and love it. My only complaint is I had grown used to how quiet the EVGA 1080 Hybrid was.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

if you play at 4K maxed out graphics then 1080Ti is literally your only sensible (hint, $1200 isnt sensible) choice for a non-SLI solution right now