Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    There shouldn't have been colonization in the first place.
    You had no choice in the mater. This wasn't a choice made by the public.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    "The Middle East" is not a hive mind, there are both people wanting the involvement and those not wanting it. You conveniently dismiss one of these two groups, because it does not fit your views, which shows, again, that your views are not that well though out.
    Who are these mysterious US loving Middle Easterners?

(It's nearly 8 am, will be back in a few hours)

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't think of any region where american influence created stability. It's a bit like a pyromaniac working as a fireman to put it bluntly.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Can't think of any region where american influence created stability. It's a bit like a pyromaniac working as a fireman to put it bluntly.
    Does post-WWII Japan count?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or we would have many more problems, with someone much nastier taking the role of world police. Someone like North Korea, for example.
    There is nothing wrong with world police. We should be getting the scrutiny for it that we do, if not more, due to what it means. We are not world police by choice. We are world police by ability. Our status is what makes us world police. It is the expression of our might. The problem is the association of said might, with what it is... military action. But, the reality, is that we sacrifice greatly as American people to hold such honor... it's the 'mo money, mo problems'... I don't think we want to have Americans as soldiers all over the world, instead of home. But, that's our job because we are the only super power left. It's a drawback of our might, not a benefit. But, it is also understandable that it receives the scrum it does...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

I once heard of this place called Europe, specifically Germany, seems to be doing pretty well. Also this region called Asia where we have/are currently keeping the situation stable for countries instead of a Chinese take over. Then again what do I know, I'm only certified to teach history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you are looking from a strange perspective. The world has seen unprecedented growth, peace and stability, in the short time US has been the dominant force. In the centuries that Britain had control, we never had this sort of prosperity. I think it's a very spoiled perspective you are expressing...

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you visit Japan some time. Really nice place.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I once heard of this place called Europe, specifically Germany, seems to be doing pretty well. Also this region called Asia where we have/are currently keeping the situation stable for countries instead of a Chinese take over. Then again what do I know, I'm only certified to teach history.
    Ah yes Europe, where you waited to come here after it was bombed to bits, ensuring the desired position on industrial leader moved continents or where again your interest only resurfaced when you noticed the USSR gaining a greater foothold, good thing we weren't treated the same way the politics later decided how to fight the USSR in the middle east and also the aid provided financially also yielded great returns for the US. As for Japan, yes i guess nuking a place tend to bring forth change.

It will be interesting to see when China no longer decides to play nice, how the american politics will react to that.

Let's not act that those policies were not out of self interest, first and foremost all those things that happened were not to provide stability elsewhere but was done to provide either economic benefit or security for the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes Europe, where you waited to come here after it was bombed to bits, ensuring the desired position on industrial leader moved continents or where again your interest only resurfaced when you noticed the USSR gaining a greater foothold, good thing we weren't treated the same way the politics later decided how to fight the USSR in the middle east and also the aid provided financially also yielded great returns for the US. As for Japan, yes i guess nuking a place tend to bring forth change.

It will be interesting to see when China no longer decides to play nice, how the american politics will react to that.

Let's not act that those policies were not out of self interest, first and foremost all those things that happened were not to provide stability elsewhere but was done to provide either economic benefit or security for the US.
    "The US is bad, they didn't create stability anywhere."
    "Well, they did here, here and here."
    "Ummmm... They are still bad!"

This is what happens when you start with claim and proceed with nitpicking evidence, as opposed to starting with evidence and making a claim based on it.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Japan, Sk, Taiwan, Bolivia, Colombia, Europe ( Marshal plan), Peru. Those come to my mind

10+ Year Old Account
    "The US is bad, they didn't create stability anywhere."
    "Well, they did here, here and here."
    "Ummmm... They are still bad!"

This is what happens when you start with claim and proceed with nitpicking evidence, as opposed to starting with evidence and making a claim based on it.
    Bad or good are childish terms when it comes to defining world politics and i said neither of those, i simply stated the fact that it was an act out of self interest and it wasn't done out of interest to play the role of world "healer" as mentioned in the OP. I also find it rather arrogant to claim that the good that eventually came from it was something that was done solely by the US.

Deleted
    what suprises me about these eu morons is that if you hate american/americans so much, fuck off somewhere else eh??

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Part of the problem is that when European countries withdrew from their colonies, they sort of left us to clean up their mess, which meant that all the hate that those people had toward Europeans just transferred over to us. Meanwhile, Europeans get to sit back and point the finger at us for trying (and failing) to resolve problems that they caused, even though we are doing a much better job of it than they ever could.

The hate from the third world I can understand, because to them, the USA is the big bad guy always sticking our nose in their business and screwing them over to profit ourselves. But the hate from the first world, get the fuck out of here with that shit, Europeans (and Canadians/Australians/Japanese/whatever) were no better than us when they have had the same power, and in many cases were far far worse.
    Slot of European countries didn't have colonies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by metadox View Post
    what suprises me about these eu morons is that if you hate american/americans so much, fuck off somewhere else eh??
    No moronic would be if one saw criticism or skepticism on a nation politics as a personal attack on its people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad or good are childish terms when it comes to defining world politics and i said neither of those, i simply stated the fact that it was an act out of self interest and it wasn't done out of interest to play the role of world "healer" as mentioned in the OP. I also find it rather arrogant to claim that the good that eventually came from it was something that was done solely by the US.
    I mean, you initially said that you can't think of any case of the US interfering anywhere and bringing stability. Regardless of the motives of the government, or the way the process was handled, you have to admit that there have been such cases after all. You may criticize the nuclear bombardment of Japan, or involvement in the Korean War, or not getting in Europe fast enough in WW2 and giving Soviets a much bigger chunk of Europe than they should have gotten - but, ultimately, Japan, South Korea and Western Europe are exemplars of stability and peace, and they weren't such before the US got involved.

As for the motives, of course, governments don't spend taxpayers' money on wars out of altruism. But, personally, I am more interested in the results of one's actions, than in what was going on in their heads while taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You're the healer that likes to run around and pull all the trash that everyone wants to skip. Then you walk into the boss, leading to a wipe. Then you do that again a few more times.

But when things actually get organized, you top the meters.
    So much this

People in the U.S. are not only commonly quite stupid, they actually think they're smart instead. This fact actually answers most questions concerning the U.S.

I mean, something like 50% of the people voted for a known con man over an uninteresting but completely status quo politico. That's not much of a choice, but why would anyone ever vote in the con artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There is something that really bugs me when it comes to the way the USA is viewed by many foreigners, and some people in our country as well.

America gets this negative attitude when it comes to how we behave in the world. We are called the world police and are criticized for it; however, exactly where would we be without America? American hemogony is very likely what leads to our current times of less wars, and little major global conflict (compared to the past) we aren't without issues in the world but without us, and if we weren't so involved in the world where exactly would the rest of the world be?

We are the world's greatest deterrant being that we are the world's wealthiest nation and the world's most powerful nation and the world's only superpower.

When the issues with Libya began we didn't immediately act and were urged to by Europe, where many of the countries were previously complaining of our "world police" like behaviour.

Frankly America is the healer, extremely important, under appreciated when doing their job well, vilified when things go wrong.
    you do it wrong, you need to let shit hit the fan sometime, libya was bound to become an hell hole for the french pigmy president and the uk, if i was murica i would say to them do it yourself and don't bother me.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There is something that really bugs me when it comes to the way the USA is viewed by many foreigners, and some people in our country as well.

America gets this negative attitude when it comes to how we behave in the world. We are called the world police and are criticized for it; however, exactly where would we be without America? American hemogony is very likely what leads to our current times of less wars, and little major global conflict (compared to the past) we aren't without issues in the world but without us, and if we weren't so involved in the world where exactly would the rest of the world be?

We are the world's greatest deterrant being that we are the world's wealthiest nation and the world's most powerful nation and the world's only superpower.

When the issues with Libya began we didn't immediately act and were urged to by Europe, where many of the countries were previously complaining of our "world police" like behaviour.

Frankly America is the healer, extremely important, under appreciated when doing their job well, vilified when things go wrong.
    Nobody calls the US world police except in mocking. The only ones calling the US that in seriousness is the US itself. Because that's how you'd like to see yourself. The rest of the world thinks of the US as a meddling troublemaker by now. Yes, that includes people from your European NATO allies.

So, while you're busy jerking off to your fantasy about how good the US is, always remember, you're the only ones that think arrogance is a virtue. People like you need to learn about humility. Fast.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.