Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    STOP mixing politics with social issues! It's an absurd thing to say.

Beeing a left wing supporter is not tied to Social views on equality. It has to do with the state and how to run it. Completely different topics!
    So, do you agree then that racism is not on the political spectrum? Do you also detest it when people call racists "hard right"?

In hindsight, the article headline seems to be really provocative. That wasn't my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    In the eyes of the public, there's a world of difference between them. His girlfriend promptly broke up with him upon learning he was actually Mexican, saying she couldn't be seen dating him.

It was on NPR, could probably find it somewhere.
    People are dumb. Mexicans are native to the Americas and are therefore native Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    because trans people don't deserve social equality. I don't advocate to hurt/injure them but it should NOT be socially acceptable. Believe it or not the majority of people believe the same exact thing. The only ones who don't are the weirdo extreme leftists who think that change for the sake of change is the right way to go.
    That's a pretty biased opinion, which I refute. The majority of people don't care; you are who you are. Besides, I'm neither weirdo nor extreme, yet I'm fine with trans people being treated like (gasp) people.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    because trans people don't deserve social equality. I don't advocate to hurt/injure them but it should NOT be socially acceptable. Believe it or not the majority of people believe the same exact thing. The only ones who don't are the weirdo extreme leftists who think that change for the sake of change is the right way to go.
    YOU should not be socially acceptable. Get out!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Was just joking!

I don't think this is a relevant argument, to be honest. The question "Should women and men compete in the same pool?" I would answer with "Yes and no". Women who want to compete against men and men who want to compete against women are free to do so. Professional leagues can set up their own rules on who can or who cannot compete. It all should be up to the individuals and the organizations. Sure, most leagues allowing both genders to compete will be dominated by men, due to the physical superiority - which is totally fine. If someone is unhappy with it, they may seek another league to compete in.

It is obvious that transwomen are going to have certain physical advantage in certain sports over ciswomen. Should they compete together? Again, up to them and to the organizations funding the competition.
    The article is about youth sports. Do you think that boys who merely state they are girls should be allowed to compete against biological girls? In professional sports, you would have a much higher standing than what seems to be being practiced in school districts across America.

So inequality and special privileges are ok because of perceived social standing in society? Where have I heard that same logic before...
    No, they're not. But there will always be cases that fall through the cracks and I'm not going to abandon workplace protections for millions of trans people to protect the integrity of a few regional sports programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    That's a pretty biased opinion, which I refute. The majority of people don't care; you are who you are. Besides, I'm neither weirdo nor extreme, yet I'm fine with trans people being treated like (gasp) people.
    I agree that we should treat everyone with respect. Is it fair though? Is it fair that biological girls have no chance of beating these boys in the article?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The article is about youth sports. Do you think that boys who merely state they are girls should be allowed to compete against biological girls? In professional sports, you would have a much higher standing than what seems to be being practiced in school districts across America.
    If it is a private school, the decision on whether to allow them to compete against biological girls should be totally up to the administration. If it is a public school, then I don't know; I'd rather have all kids, regardless of their gender or claims, to compete together, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

However, what of the other children, when they are made to compete on the same playing field, that becomes anything but level?
    It's good preparation for when they get destroyed by the Lance Armstrongs, Mark McGwires and Arnold Schwarzeneggers of the world. There is no level playing field. If professional sports, with million dollar budgets for drug testing, can't be fair then how could high school sports?

This doesn't seem like a left/right, progressive/conservative issue here. This is a social issue that needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Do you find it interesting that it would lead to no biological women being able to win in women's sports? How does that intersect with feminism, in your view?
    Considering that all 'identity movements' are pretty much superiority movements looking to gain special privileges for their own identity class, the whole concept of intersectionality is pretty insane. In the end, all of this stuff just turns into what we all ways see with marxism, a small elite oligarchy will enrich themselves because they will be the ones given the power to dole out privileges. If these people every took over, it would turn into the same thing that we saw replay over and over in the 20th century, where suddenly this ruling party would realize that they only really need to give privileges to the people with the guns and tanks.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

OP - I suspect you are getting your up/down (Authoritarian vs Libertarian) confused with your left/right (Social vs Capital)

In reality, the rational folk are planted right in the middle - believing in a balance of left/right and up/down - presenting extreme points of view on any of those axes produces no defence of other extreme views.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I agree that we should treat everyone with respect. Is it fair though? Is it fair that biological girls have no chance of beating these boys in the article?
    Look, if Congress wants to pass a bill prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity and providing transition related healthcare, but with the provision that high school athletes have to compete in divisions consistent with their sex at birth, I will accept that without blinking an eye. But that's not going to happen, because 90% of the time, the people getting outraged about shit like high school sports are the same people who are fine with employers firing people for being trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    No, they're not. But there will always be cases that fall through the cracks and I'm not going to abandon workplace protections for millions of trans people to protect the integrity of a few regional sports programs.
    Actually the story is representative of a bigger problem as a whole. One that can easily be abused if a precedent isn't set.

If a man identifies as a women, should they be given the normal preferred treatment when it comes to applying for male dominated jobs like engineering?
    If a person identities as a Native America, is it ok to give them special treatment when it comes to college admission?

People could easily start abusing the system, claiming to be whatever works best for them, only making actual trans people look worse.

Deleted
    So, do you agree then that racism is not on the political spectrum? Do you also detest it when people call racists "hard right"?

In hindsight, the article headline seems to be really provocative. That wasn't my intention.
    Yes, i do!

Social positions are not tied to politics. You can be a defendor of right wing politics and defend social equality. You can be left wing and defend that women should stay at home.
    The wings separate doctrines on how to run the state.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2017-04-17 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandoroar View Post
    Many fighting sports already divide the competition within genders based on physique, maybe that will become a thing to solve the dilemma between transgender equality and competitive integrity of physical sports.
    You mean weight classes? Mixing men and women together based on weight classes isn't going to fix anything.

Actually the story is representative of a bigger problem as a whole. One that can easily be abused if a precedent isn't set.

If a man identifies as a women, should they be given the normal preferred treatment when it comes to applying for male dominated jobs like engineering?
    If a person identities as a Native America, is it ok to give them special treatment when it comes to college admission?

People could easily start abusing the system, claiming to be whatever works best for them, only making actual trans people look worse.
    If it gets to be THAT much of a problem, then you can institute safeguards such as a note from a treating physician that an individual is transgender or a DNA test confirming that an individual does, in fact, have Native American DNA. But until such time as those abuses become something more than "well what about that one guy who did that one thing," I'm not going to worry about it.

This article and the people that tout it have no fucking what equality means nor what people on the left are asking for. It's not a shock though, they don't understand a whole lot outside of their view anyway.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

i honestly don't believe a transgirl should be able to compete with biological females unless they are actively transitioning, because their biology does give them an advantage.

they should be loved and supported, but they shouldn't be allowed into something they will have an unfair advantage at.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If it is a private school, the decision on whether to allow them to compete against biological girls should be totally up to the administration. If it is a public school, then I don't know; I'd rather have all kids, regardless of their gender or claims, to compete together, I think.
    Really? Why? The boys would always win, and that would lead to girls no longer competing. We are talking about post-puberty kids here, not 2nd graders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    It's good preparation for when they get destroyed by the Lance Armstrongs, Mark McGwires and Arnold Schwarzeneggers of the world. There is no level playing field. If professional sports, with million dollar budgets for drug testing, can't be fair then how could high school sports?

This doesn't seem like a left/right, progressive/conservative issue here. This is a social issue that needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis.
    Ha, fair point about Sosa and McGwire. =p

I continue to be amazed at how many separate this issue from being a leftist issue. If nothing else, I learned that many of you don't realize your (and most others) social issues align with your political issues.

I agree with the OP article, if you're born male and you weigh 230 and are 6'4" and you have all the muscles of a male you shouldn't be competing with women who were born female because it isn't fair.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland