Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The USA is not a nation-state, we are a union of fifty (theoretically) sovereign states, each of which is multiethnic and multicultural in character.
    So is the EU.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    You asked what I meant by "better", buttercup. You don't get to ask a question and then have a tantrum that it has to do with "nothing" when someone answers you.
    How is this a tantrum? You got the wrong idea about what I said, I proved you wrong, and then you bullshit me again. I just want real, legitimate, answers. Not more run-arounds and red herrings like you've been going on about. I'd like to think that you have an actual counter to my original point, but you simply continue to derail with semantics, over and over. Do you even know what you're talking about anymore, or what the topic is actually on? Or is this more of a game to you now?

If you continue, I'll simply start reporting you for baiting me, but this circle is getting ridiculous without you getting back to the topic, at all. It's like you're doing this intentionally now.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

The USA is not a nation-state, we are a union of fifty (theoretically) sovereign states, each of which is multiethnic and multicultural in character.
    Not sovereign if you can't leave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Not sovereign if you can't leave.
    You can, you just haven't really tried yet.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    What, praytell, are they then?

This oughta be good.
    You obviously didn't read the links, like I mentioned... First World, Second World, and Third World are all defined. That's why I kept wondering why you were questioning me against basically common knowledge.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    So is the EU.
    Well if you want to compare the US to the EU, then our economy is bigger than yours despite a much smaller population, and our worst areas are MUCH better off than your worst areas. We can joke about how shitty places like Detroit and Baltimore are, but I'd much rather live there than in Bulgaria.

Deleted
    1st world countries are NATO. 2nd world was USSR and their minions. 3rd world is everyone else.
    World ordinals are defined by economy nowadays, not associations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    If this is the case, then what is the point of your derailment in the first place...?

Actually, don't answer that, I'm done being led on.
    *Sigh*
    I will answer that, because I never quit when I'm ahead!

Your response that I responded to was so vague I thought that what you were saying was a main point of contention. I see now that this is not the case. Whether you wish to attribute that to my stupidity or your writing is of course up to you.

Lastly, on the issue of "derailment" I care absolutely nothing for this forum's rules, probably why I have two infractions for calling people horrible human beings. I used to, like 3 years ago before I found Reddit and learned the joys of brutally honest unmoderated discussion. But now I'm digressing and I know how much derailment irks you so I will simply say good day.

Deleted
    Well if you want to compare the US to the EU, then our economy is bigger than yours despite a much smaller population, and our worst areas are MUCH better off than your worst areas. We can joke about how shitty places like Detroit and Baltimore are, but I'd much rather live there than in Bulgaria.
    Not bigger, smaller. And European cities aren't gang and gun infested. US cities are as dangerous as the Gaza Strip. Also, your health care and education sectors are lacking. So in the end neither one is better than the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we even still have the draft?
    Because we dont have a draft still.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

It depends on what do you consider to be "better".
    For example the murder rate in Detroit is 43,6 per 100.000 inhabitants.
    Violent crime rate is 1749 per 100.000 inhabitants.

The murder rate in Bulgaria is 1,6 per 100.000 inhabitants.

I'd say crime wise living in Bulgaria is a tad better than Detroit.

Unemployment rate in Bulgaria is around 8% currently.
    Unemployment rate in Detroit is around 12%.

The average salary for sure will be higher in Detroit, as will, however the cost of living.

Deleted
    This isn't WoW, the vast majority of them couldn't fight their way out of a wet paperbag.
    Long sharp fingernails > Wet paper bags, every time.

1. There should be no draft
    2. If there is a draft every adult should be subject to it regardless of gender
    3. If we're going to draft people, let old people be drafted too, a 50-60 year old man is generally more capable of fighting than a young woman, on average.

They are not sovereign in theory. Nothing wrong with your contention that quality of life varies considerably from state to state, but that's a bit too far.

However, quality of life etc surveys are often done by city, and the US doesn't score particularly high on those:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer..._Living_Survey

Highest city is San Fran at #28.

Jesus that's below ADELAIDE. Adelaide is a fucking hole in the ground...

So is the EU.
    A better analogy might be any country within the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    1. There should be no draft
    2. If there is a draft every adult should be subject to it regardless of gender
    3. If we're going to draft people, let old people be drafted too, a 50-60 year old man is generally more capable of fighting than a young woman, on average.
    I'd amend that to:

1. There should be no draft.
    2. See 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

However, quality of life etc surveys are often done by city, and the US doesn't score particularly high on those:

Jesus that's below ADELAIDE. Adelaide is a fucking hole in the ground...
    Damn, apparently I have to learn german and return to the land of my ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They are not sovereign in theory. Nothing wrong with your contention that quality of life varies considerably from state to state, but that's a bit too far.

I was looking for a good word to describe what level of authority state governments are actually intended to hold, but I gave up. Also, American cities are kind of crappy by global standards, but ever since the post-WW2 white flight, cities haven't been the main center of American life or the preferred destination for wealthy folks. That's sort of starting to change now as more millennials are moving toward the big coastal metropolises, but there's also a lot of pushback against the gentrification that is going to take a while to sort out.

I suppose that America is really the only country that just allows its cities to turn into crime-ridden hellholes rather than building them up as showcases for the world to see that attract the lion's share of resources and talent from across the country. Most of America's wealth, on the other hand, is tied up in these wealthy suburbs that few foreigners will ever see. I suppose this is part of why there is just this consensus that life in America is pretty meh and unremarkable overall, despite the economic data clearly indicating otherwise.
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2017-04-19 at 08:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    You obviously didn't read the links, like I mentioned... First World, Second World, and Third World are all defined. That's why I kept wondering why you were questioning me against basically common knowledge.
    That's an outdated definition. You're both right but nowadays 1st 2nd and 3rd world are definitions based on economic factors.

Deleted
    Either all or none, preferably the latter.

I'd rather see increased militairy spending on robotic and deterrent warfare development if that's what it takes to stop this senseless "Go die for your country!" pride; generations crushed and PTSD for what? "Peace" shouldn't be a whimsical game of elites deciding who gets to live in scarcity so they can keep the masses in their iron grip.
    Last edited by mmoc8167bb6457; 2017-04-19 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be fair, Cyprus, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Austria, South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan are not 1st world countries.
    Where exactly are you drawing your definition and your list of 'First World countries'?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Female canon fodder works just as well as male canon fodder.