Page 79 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skutch View Post
    I guess after all the fanfare I am not seeing the value of AMD Ryzen vs anything from Intel. Ryzen was supposed to be
    more performance for le$$. Show me what I am missing.
    I don't think it was ever supposed to be more performance for less. It was supposed to be similar performance for a lot less. That's what it ended up being for gaming. For productivity related tasks though, it did end up being more performance for less.

I am starting to hate the word "productivity".

Yes it will get an awesome cinebench score but that isnt what ryzen is about. Idle CPU resources is the name of the game here, as time goes on and games get better multi thread support intel chips are going to be maxxed out and ryzen is going to have so much left in the tank for other stuff. Who knows in a few years its very possible you wont be able to play a game and watch a couple twitch stream on a i5, that is something i do regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I am starting to hate the word "productivity".

Yes it will get an awesome cinebench score but that isnt what ryzen is about. Idle CPU resources is the name of the game here, as time goes on and games get better multi thread support intel chips are going to be maxxed out and ryzen is going to have so much left in the tank for other stuff. Who knows in a few years its very possible you wont be able to play a game and watch a couple twitch stream on a i5, that is something i do regularly.
    That's not really what it's about either. It IS about productivity. You have to remember, as gamer's we are a VERY VERY small segment of the CPU market. CPU makers really don't care about us all that much. They design CPUs not for us, but for people who use them for productivity. Because of that, yes, people make things like Vulcan/Metal/DX12 to make better use of the hardware that is available, but that is just a by-product of the hardware being made for productivity.

Not directly interested in Ryzen processors; I'm not looking to upgrade processors right now and I've always had Intel in the past, and that's what I'd look at first when its time to upgrade (not to say I would rule out getting an AMD processor, I should add). Having said that, I have an indirect interest because I hope this spurs Intel to really step things up and put out a new processors that's a worthwhile upgrade (in the same price bracket) to my i5 3570K.

Who knows in a few years its very possible you wont be able to play a game and watch a couple twitch stream on a i5, that is something i do regularly.
    That might very well be the case. AdoredTV has a video where he looks at CPU load.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHn...youtu.be&t=853

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That's not really what it's about either. It IS about productivity. You have to remember, as gamer's we are a VERY VERY small segment of the CPU market. CPU makers really don't care about us all that much. They design CPUs not for us, but for people who use them for productivity. Because of that, yes, people make things like Vulcan/Metal/DX12 to make better use of the hardware that is available, but that is just a by-product of the hardware being made for productivity.
    I was referencing those types of people with my "hate the word productivity" comment.

Obviously its a great productivity CPU it just gets old hearing reviewers harp on that and leave out things like i mention above.

I was referencing those types of people with my "hate the word productivity" comment.

Obviously its a great productivity CPU it just gets old hearing reviewers harp on that and leave out things like i mention above.
    I believe the term you're looking for is "multi-threaded work load" it's a more general term.

Quote Originally Posted by Skutch View Post
    I guess after all the fanfare I am not seeing the value of AMD Ryzen vs anything from Intel. Ryzen was supposed to be
    more performance for le$$. Show me what I am missing.
    A comment/thought from Adored's video stuck out for me. Basically, if you look at CPU load, the I5 has no where to go. On a lot of games the CPU's are maxed out. It's basically at it's limit right now.

If you are looking for a CPU right now and it's either an i5 or a R5, there is no point to getting an i5. It can play todays games and yesterday's games but there is a good chance that you will be bottlenecking yourself for the future games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    A comment/thought from Adored's video stuck out for me. Basically, if you look at CPU load, the I5 has no where to go. On a lot of games the CPU's are maxed out. It's basically at it's limit right now.

If you are looking for a CPU right now and it's either an i5 or a R5, there is no point to getting an i5. It can play todays games and yesterday's games but there is a good chance that you will be bottlenecking yourself for the future games.
    That's basically it.

Older games:
    i5 has a performance benefit, because of better single-threaded performance. But older games already run at way above 100fps with max settings (on decent graphics cards), so the performance gain over an Ryzen R5 is moot.
    There are certain games, that are badly optimized and still run at sub 100fps even with bleeding edge hardware (WoW anyone?), so for those titles it might be advantageous to get the i5. But should we really base our future hardware purchases on games that are literally over a decade old?

Current games:
    i5 is roughly equal to R5 (or has a slight advantage, depending on the game).

Future games:
    Unknown at the moment. But if we look at the advancement of multithreading performance in games in the last years, it is safe to assume, that future games will benefit from more cores and thus giving the R5 an advantage.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    But should we really base our future hardware purchases on games that are literally over a decade old?
    There are people, a lot of them, who play WoW and WoW only. There's a lot. And even more who play it "almost" exclusively... i.e. they might pick up Witcher 3 and play it for a month then go back to WoW for the other 11 months out of the year.

I play a lot of Triple A titles and wouldn't even consider an i5. But for those of us who recommend builds on this forum or others we still need to be cognizant that people like I described above do exist and we will find them here, a WoW forum, more often than say Tom's Hardware.

What I'm saying is that the i5 still has it's place, a WoW box that might play 1-2 newer games a year, so it's not dead like some are saying. But for the majority of users, and even gamers, I would say the i5 has been replaced by the R5.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I put an R5 1500X into a new gaming server build. OC'd it to 3.8Ghz on standard cooler (95W cooler for a 65W CPU o.o)
    Tested it in Space Engineers so far. Seems fine. Need something to stress it farm more though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just picked up my 1700x + ASRock Taichi motherboard for the price of a 1800x yesterday. Love Microcenter =). Finally decided on this RAM: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232491

I grabbed a new Seasonic flagship prime titanium 850w. I felt like my 5+ year old Corsair HX750 doesn't deserve the stress of starting again on a new system, don't want to rob it of it's retirement =P.

Gonna pair it with a new sit/stand desk (Jarvis from Amazon) and maybe get a new case with a clear side panel to show it off in the build thread when I get it set up. It might take a while. (moving too)

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    There are people, a lot of them, who play WoW and WoW only. There's a lot. And even more who play it "almost" exclusively... i.e. they might pick up Witcher 3 and play it for a month then go back to WoW for the other 11 months out of the year.

I play a lot of Triple A titles and wouldn't even consider an i5. But for those of us who recommend builds on this forum or others we still need to be cognizant that people like I described above do exist and we will find them here, a WoW forum, more often than say Tom's Hardware.

What I'm saying is that the i5 still has it's place, a WoW box that might play 1-2 newer games a year, so it's not dead like some are saying. But for the majority of users, and even gamers, I would say the i5 has been replaced by the R5.
    Pick the right tool for the job that is within your budget. That's the most important thing. If a person is only playing WOW then it's a no brainer when comparing the i5 to the R5. The same way that you wouldn't put an i5 in a server.

Unfortunately, most users don't make educated decisions. The suppliers make those decisions for the users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Pick the right tool for the job that is within your budget. That's the most important thing. If a person is only playing WOW then it's a no brainer when comparing the i5 to the R5. The same way that you wouldn't put an i5 in a server.

Unfortunately, most users don't make educated decisions. The suppliers make those decisions for the users.
    Well, as long as you pay something alongside ~220 bucks for CPU, you will get decent performance either way really. AMD or Intel, really a case of taste for most users at that price point, R5 won't make WoW unplayable and neither i5 will make you suffer in some multithreaded unicorn.

So really no need to be genius here, IMO the real decision making starts at sub $130 or over $300, there you start having some very real trade offs.

- - - Updated - - -

I, personally, wait for 2nd half of this year - Coffee Lake and Zen refresh will be real game changes, where in case of Intel they bump core count and with their already superior single thread performance that will be a thing, while Zen refresh will certainly fix many of the issues current Ryzen has, as well as the whole platform will be more mature and better supported.

I, personally, gamble on Intel, because they don't really have much to do - the architecture is there so it's just a case of more coarrz to cover multithreading a bit better. It's pretty much in the bag for them IMO, attractively priced 6 core I5s and 6/12 I7s will simply be more than enough for everything people need at home in next couple of years.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-04-17 at 10:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I just finished my 1600 build. I wish I had used slimmer cables, lol.

Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

The last time I used an AMD processor for playwin WOW (FX 8350) I was so disappointed that I switched to i5 6600 and never looked back at AMD. I do agree that if you do streaming + gaming Ryzen is the superior choice but for gaming in general especially dx11 i5 are still delivering. Where I live you can get a 6700k for 220$ SH which is a best buy in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    And I just finished my 1600 build. I wish I had used slimmer cables, lol.

Wait how does your cooler have RGB lighting? Did you buy that seperate?

Looks nice btw, wish i knew how to take good pictures but this is mine:

10+ Year Old Account
    My cousin bought the 1700 and handed me his cooler because he knew I wanted the RBG one. I would change the cooler to blue but the MSI gaming app is being shit and only allows me to choose red, piss yellow, and green.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    The last time I used an AMD processor for playwin WOW (FX 8350) I was so disappointed that I switched to i5 6600 and never looked back at AMD. I do agree that if you do streaming + gaming Ryzen is the superior choice but for gaming in general especially dx11 i5 are still delivering. Where I live you can get a 6700k for 220$ SH which is a best buy in my opinion.
    $220 for a CPU for just gaming is a terrible price point, calling such a price tag as 'best buy' is whats hindering the PC gaming sector heavily from a overall sales, which is why we get crap ports.

The best CPU for pure gaming for medium-high settings is the G4560, that is sub $100 and will give you over 60 FPS if not around 90 FPS in games when paired with the likes of a AMD 570, 580 or Nvidia 1060.

In the UK, you can get the RX 480 sometimes for about £160, just let that sink in for a moment, the more people that can get their hands on strong performance parts at a lower cost, and I mean lower cost is what will help the PC gaming sector overall as sales will pick up and devs will give a damn about optimising the ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    My cousin bought the 1700 and handed me his cooler because he knew I wanted the RBG one. I would change the cooler to blue but the MSI gaming app is being shit and only allows me to choose red, piss yellow, and green.
    Very nice cousin you got there, those are going for like 50 bucks on ebay If it makes you feel any better i cant get mine to be pure white like my case and video card are, it has a slight pinkish hue so im just leaving it on "wave" for now.