10+ Year Old Account

A Theory: Old Gods, Draenor, and the Sporemounds

So while questing in the Badlands and completing the quest that purifies Wrathion's egg, I noticed something interesting. When the titan device scans the egg, it detects the source of corruption as "Azerothian Old God". Azerothian. Meaning that there are other Old Gods besides those on Azeroth. This we already new since the Burning Crusade, HOWEVER what sticks out to me is how the machine notes that the corruption is from an AZEROTHIAN Old God, meaning that their were other Old God corruption types it could have detected. What this means is that the Old Gods of Azeroth all have something in common, and extraazerothian Old Gods are somehow noticeably different from the ones we are familiar with. So what other forms could an Old God take? Well, we don't have any idea, since we never encountered an Old God not on Azeroth...or have we?

This brings us to Draenor, specifically, Shadowmoon Valley, where the Arrakoa are trying to summon an 'ancient and powerful evil'. This being had the placeholder model for C'Thun, suggesting it to be an Old God. However, nowhere throughout WoD or Chronicle has it ever been stated that an Old God had been found on Draenor. But the descriptions of the Sporemounds are eerily similar to that of Azeroth's Old Gods. If the Old Gods DID come to Draenor, how likely is it they would have kept the same form as the Azerothian Old Gods? Without a Titan to corrupt and feed on, wouldn't they need to adapt to survive?

The Sporemounds' tendril-like vines slithered over Draenor's earth and strangled every primitive beast that they could reach. As they grew, the Sporemounds consumed more and more, their hunger and need to expanding knowing no end. They blossomed into living mountains of tangled brambles and noxious pods.
    Now, take that quote, remove the word vines, replace the words tangled 'brambles and noxious pods' with 'flesh and tentacles'. Sounds a LOT like an Old God to me, but with a different mask. The Sporemounds could even perform the Curse of Flesh, using spores to turn Grond's descendants into flesh over many generations. The Sporemounds were rooted to the ground, much like Azeroth's own Old Gods, and durning their battles with Grond, pieces of their bodies that fell became their own living creatures, just like how the Aqir and N'raqi were created from the Old Gods' flesh. The similarities don't stop there, even. The fungal creatures we see on Alternate Draenor operate in a very similar manner to Old God minions we encounter on Azeroth, using brainwashing and telepathic communication.

So, either the Sporemounds of Draenor are either Old Gods that have taken up a different form after encountering Azeroth, or Blizzard got lazy and copy-pasted their Old God lore with some plant favor when it came to Draenor's ancient history. I don't know about you, but I prefer the former.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    For me the sporemounds seemed to be more like Hist from The elder scrolls, rather than old god. That being said, its definately possible that they are either diffrent brood, or perhaps something influenced by the old god.

That or homage to typical trope in old school Sci-fi of fungal hivemind.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2017-04-19 at 08:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have Chronicle, as you are directly quoting a passage from it... yet you completely ignore where it describes the Sporemounds' precise origins and their ability to get up and walk around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    You seem to have Chronicle, as you are directly quoting a passage from it... yet you completely ignore where it describes the Sporemounds' precise origins and their ability to get up and walk around.
    It basically says they were a carnivorous plant that sprouted up. No exact precise origins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It basically says they were a carnivorous plant that sprouted up. No exact precise origins.
    That is precise origins. They were a native plant species accelerated by the abundance of Spirit, growing larger and larger. They weren't giant space parasites that crashed down from the sky.

The Sporemounds spread lush plant-life, not withered and lifeless areas through miasma. The Sporemounds wormed underground seeking water, not to reach the core of the world. The Sporemounds eventually gained sentience and purpose, they weren't born with it.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2017-04-19 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    That is precise origins. They were a native plant species accelerated by the abundance of Spirit, growing larger and larger. They weren't giant space parasites that crashed down from the sky.

The Sporemounds spread lush plant-life, not withered and lifeless areas through miasma. The Sporemounds wormed underground seeking water, not to reach the core of the world. The Sporemounds eventually gained sentience and purpose, they weren't born with it.
    So they are goddamn hist after all !

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    So they are goddamn hist after all !
    They're missing lizard people who they can mindcontrol and who worship them like gods!!

The Sporemounds are native to Draenor. If Aggramar found the taint of the Old Gods it would have been mentioned in chronicles.

Considering Outland now sits between the nether/the great dark, no longer a separate plane/planet. I would assume the Old God is being summoned from somewhere within the great dark. One of the ones flying around without a planet to infest. Perhaps just close enough to Draenor by the time of the opening of the dark portal that it felt the connection to Azeroth.