Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

G2A rep does live Q&A at Reboot conference, gets blasted by developers

http://www.pcgamer.com/g2a-rep-does-...by-developers/

Update: In light of its live Q&A at the Reboot: Develop conference in Croatia earlier today, G2A has sent Eurogamer a statement. Within, the game key reseller addresses a number of the comments tied to the original story below.

Here's the statement in full as provided to EG by G2A's head of PR, Maciej Kuc:

"Grey market, despite the Wiki definition, works as a negative label and people who throw this name against us just want to damage our business—we cannot agree to that. Resale of keys is perfectly legal, it brings a lot of benefits to the gamers community as it introduces competition and prevents raising prices to unreasonable levels.

"Those who want to stop it act against free market and property rights that are essential to modern economy. If something is to be called grey or shady, these are the practices of making 'suggestions' aimed at hurting legally operating marketplace. If you call G2A gray, try doing the same with respect to eBay, Amazon and basically all the marketplaces—it is obvious that today we are simply a part of normal, legal market.

"Fees. We want to quickly explain our fees regarding developers and sellers, since there seems to have been a misunderstanding during the Q&A. There are two separate revenue streams for developers on our marketplace. The first revenue stream is from regular sales made directly by the developers. G2A only takes a General commission of 10.8 per cent from these sales—the remaining 89.2 per cent of the sale goes directly into the developer's pocket (which is way above the industry standard of 70 per cent).

"However, thanks to G2A Direct, developers are given a second revenue stream—they can make an additional up to 10 per cent on all third-party sales. This is an extremely attractive offer as no other marketplace gives developers a chance to make any money on third-party re-sales. Imagine that someone purchased a LG TV, and then went to re-sell it on eBay—eBay does not offer LG, or any other company, any percentage of this sale. We are the only marketplace in the world that offers this to developers.

"Neither our number of employees, nor what gender these employees are, are any reason to treat our company any differently. We are proud of our employees—especially since we work as one team despite that we come from over 30 different countries and have vastly different areas of expertise—but again, this is not a reason to treat our company any better or any worse."
    Original story:

Between run-ins with Gearbox, claims that it sold $450,000-worth of tinyBuild's games without reimbursement, subsequently butting heads with the Punch Club developer at GDC—G2A has rubbed more than a few people the wrong way over the last several months. Today, the game key reseller's tumultuous reception continued as a representative faced a live Q&A at the Reboot: Develop conference in Croatia.

Chaired by Gamesindustry.biz's Dan Pearson, G2A's Mario Mirek was on the back foot almost immediately when he suggested his company was not a grey market operator and that "people don't understand [their] business model". This was not well received by the audience—a number of whom were game developers themselves.

Vlambeer's Rami Ismail was particularly vocal on Twitter as the live Q&A unfolded.

Mirek later described the ten percent share that developers can receive from G2A as "very attractive", despite the lengths they have to go to prevent fraud, and informed the audience that 40 percent of the company is comprised of women in a seemingly unrelated response to why it takes the reseller quite so long to address its perceived shortcomings.

When the floor was turned over to the audience, Eurogamer managed to capture Thomas Was Alone and Volume developer Mike Bithell saying this:

The livestream below worth watching in its entirety for the sake of balance, however the repeated heckles and blunt replies from the crowd certainly suggest G2A has much to do if it ever hopes to find common ground with the game development community.
    "The livestream"
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/136836272

Ontopic: G2A needs to realize they are on the losing end of this, ether they fix there shady shit or developers will just start region locking keys. I think its shitty to region lock anything but its much more shitty to scam developers out of money and profit off of illegal shit.

Developers could also just say fuck it and not sell keys at all but attach the games to accounts. Like buying from stream and you never get to see the key.

#FuckG2A

Edit: Also G2A 40% of your work force is woman....want a cookie LOL.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-04-20 at 05:19 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Developers could also just say fuck it and not sell keys at all but attach the games to accounts. Like buying from stream and you never get to see the key.

#FuckG2A
    People could also just say fuck it and never buy a key. Like pirate the game and you never get to see any money.
    #FuckGreedyDevelopers

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    People could also just say fuck it and never buy a key. Like pirate the game and you never get to see any money.
    #FuckGreedyDevelopers
    Pirating a game factually does less damage to the developers/publishers then buying from G2A. So if that's the route u will go then go for it, at lease ur not doing damage.

You claim greed but wanting to fuck over people who put 1000's of hours into developing the game you want to play is more greedy of you.

We get it, you just want shit cheap and don't care how you get it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

And another Jtbrig7390 G2A hate thread. Kinda gets boring by now.
    Do you also make threads against all the other marketplace websites that do not verify every sale or did G2A touch you anywhere? That would at least explain the crusade. I find it kinda hilarious that everyone jumps on the G2A hatewagon but ive yet to see threads and movements against all the other marketplaces in the world.

At this point we should just have a G2A megathread.

Those who want to stop it act against free market and property rights that are essential to modern economy.
    Damn, they're getting real political now. Their whole response is batshit crazy and amazing.

Honestly...I know they're never going away, but I hope they keep doing public shit like this. Because hot damn is all the drama that comes out of shit like this and the Reddit AMA truly delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    At this point we should just have a G2A megathread.
    Agreed...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    Do you also make threads against all the other marketplace websites that do not verify every sale or did G2A touch you anywhere? That would at least explain the crusade. I find it kinda hilarious that everyone jumps on the G2A hatewagon but ive yet to see threads and movements against all the other marketplaces in the world.
    I find it hilarious all you can do is throw insults at me and try to deflect from the topic at hand.

Is G2A paying you to do that?

Pirating a game factually does less damage to the developers/publishers then buying from G2A. So if that's the route u will go then go for it, at lease ur not doing damage.

You claim greed but wanting to fuck over people who put 1000's of hours into developing the game you want to play is more greedy of you.

G2A resells keys that were bought from the developers, so please explain how pirating a game does less damage than buying a resold key.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    To be fair, G2A really does seem to put themselves out there more than other key resellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Damn, they're getting real political now. Their whole response is batshit crazy and amazing.

Honestly...I know they're never going away, but I hope they keep doing public shit like this. Because hot damn is all the drama that comes out of shit like this and the Reddit AMA truly delicious.
    There is only a couple way's G2A goes away and sadly most is Anti-Consumer. I rather see developers region lock keys before seeing them shutdown or price hike to make up for G2A (and sites alike) bullshit.

1) Region locking keys.
    2) Ting sells of games to accounts "Like Steam/Origin/PSN/XBL" and outright removing any keys so you don't see them.
    3) G2A digs enough of a hole they bury themselves in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    G2A resells keys that were bought from the developers, so please explain how pirating a game does less damage than buying a resold key.
    G2A profits off of sells of keys that are sold via stolen credit cards. Developers then have to do charge backs and refund all that money.

Charge backs hurt developers credit and cost them more then the sell of the key itself. Pirating a game is not a lost of sell, you can not prove X person who pirated Skyrim would have bought it if they couldn't pirate it. Its only copying a file and nothing more.
    https://www.dalpay.com/en/support/chargebacks.html

Also on top of that G2A charges you for protection, even if it is just a couple of bucks its shitty and anti-consumer as fuck. Its also a major pain in the ass to unsub from and nearly impossible.

I advise you to educate yourself on the topic at hand before throwing insults and defending G2A.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-04-20 at 05:31 PM.

I'll continue to buy games from G2A if they have them at a cheaper price.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

100% agreed. It was already memeworthy to a degree, but we're entering new territories of awesomely bad rebuttals and statements the more time they brazenly spend in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    I'll continue to buy games from G2A if they have them at a cheaper price.
    Even though you know there's a very real chance that the game you're buying is paid for with stolen credit cards? This is a honest question, not a rethorical one.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Even though you know there's a very real chance that the game you're buying is paid for with stolen credit cards? This is a honest question, not a rethorical one.
    Yes
    /10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.

Developers thinking each and every little copied bit and byte they develop has a dollar value is also a pretty greedy notion.

People need to realize data without a purpose is priceless as much as it is pointless.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

TFW you used to waste your life playing an MMO and being social and now you're just a fat faggot with 25k posts on an internet forum--- from USA, of course

Use your life well kiddos

Please post respectfully. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-04-20 at 11:19 PM.

People in this thread really prove that no matter how shitty, people will attempt to defend anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Said it many times before.

20h games that come out should not cost more than 20 euro.

When they ask for 60 euro for a single player game that i know i will finish way too fast of course i am gonna download it.

When they will ask 60 euro for a multiplayer thats the same repeated crap without any new content ever, aka every FPS game out there, of course i am going to G2A it.

The gaming industry has gotten too greedy, thats why i dont feel bad using other sites to buy stuff for cheaper.

8/10 games are crap or simply not worth their price tag thats why i am gonna pirate them, play them for 1-2 hours and uninstall cause they are shit or the same repeated trash game they released last year with a new name.

1/10 games that isnt crap (BF1 as example) is still charging too much just for the multiplayer since they are gonna release a new one in less than a year and the old one will become empty.

The last one game worth buying is usually some indie game or forgotten game or kickstarter coming out of nowhere, Pillars of Eternity, Torment etc etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

When they ask for 60 euro for a single player game that i know i will finish way too fast of course i am gonna download it.

When they will ask 60 euro for a multiplayer thats the same repeated crap without any new content ever, aka every FPS game out there, of course i am going to G2A it.

The gaming industry has gotten too greedy, thats why i dont feel bad using other sites to buy stuff for cheaper.

8/10 games are crap or simply not worth their price tag thats why i am gonna pirate them, play them for 1-2 hours and uninstall cause they are shit or the same repeated trash game they released last year with a new name.

1/10 games that isnt crap (BF1 as example) is still charging too much just for the multiplayer since they are gonna release a new one in less than a year and the old one will become empty.

The last one game worth buying is usually some indie game or forgotten game or kickstarter coming out of nowhere, Pillars of Eternity, Torment etc etc etc.
    If a taxi is too expensive, you walk.
    If the 5 star restaurant is too expensive you eat at mcdonalds.
    If you can afford expensive dog, you can adopt a pup someone has to give away.

The dumb argument of "industry is evul so im 100% justified" is really childish.

This is a ludicrously arbitrary "restriction" that most games produced ever would not fit.

So don't buy the games then.

It has literally never been cheaper to be a gamer purchasing legal games. Like, literally. Between inflation rising and games not seeing price increases alongside it, and frequency with which games are deeply discounted through legitimate storefronts, there has never been a cheaper time to be a gamer.

8/10 games are crap or simply not worth their price tag.

Battlefield (and Battlefront as well, for that matter) hasn't been on an annual cadence for years. And you can still find matches in prior CoD and BF installments. Populations drop, obviously, but you can still find matches.