Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I didn't say rape doesn't involve sex, I said it isn't about the sex.
    Your condescending attitude doesn't win you arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I thought it was normalizing rape, not normalizing sexual attraction to people. It shouldn't be called rape culture then.
    My point was if it doesn't involve rape, it shouldn't be called rape culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    She needs sacking. She's clearly mentally unstable and belongs in a place suited for mentally unstable people. Not a classroom.
    Yeah, I don't know... part of me feels like I might be a horrible person for saying this because I know it's a terrible thing for a woman to go through and is absolutely traumatizing for life, but why do I get the impression that she's sort of feeling for sympathy or attention? I don't in any way mean to imply that she or women in general that have been raped try to use it for attention or sympathy, or that claiming rape in the first place is something done for attention - let me just nip that idea in the bud right now - but for some reason in this SPECIFIC circumstance the act of saying "my student's paper reminded me of the one time I was raped" and that she became legitimately unable to control herself and was "screaming at her computer" just sounds sort of like a narrative to me more than a story of a traumatized woman dealing with an event that brought up some damaging, potentially partially buried memories.

I don't know, maybe I'm using the wrong words when I say "for attention", is there anybody that understands what I'm trying to say and can potentially word it better than I am? I hope so, because I feel like I'm coming off as a tremendous misogynist, which is absolutely not my intent; I'm just super tired and can't form the right words :c
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-04-23 at 08:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your condescending attitude doesn't win you arguments.
    Against who, you? MeHMeH? lol.

My point was if it doesn't involve rape, it shouldn't be called rape culture.
    And my point is that you don't fundamentally grasp what rape is. An action cannot be separated from its motivation and reasoning. This is why, like with MeHMeH, we're not actually having an argument. There's no discussion here. It's like trying to discuss the importance of rain with someone who doesn't understand the water cycle. Or trying to discuss gravity with someone who doesn't understand mathematics.

You tell me to look at the definition of rape. I tell you: learn what rape really is. There's a reason you can correctly apply the term "rape" to cultures, civilizations, even land without literally sticking your dick in it.

And the absurdity of it all is that you're trying to tell me I'm wrong when you quite literally don't even know what I'm talking about.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted

And my point is that you don't fundamentally grasp what rape is. An action cannot be separated from its motivation and reasoning. This is why, like with MeHMeH, we're not actually having an argument. There's no discussion here. It's like trying to discuss the importance of rain with someone who doesn't understand the water cycle. Or trying to discuss gravity with someone who doesn't understand mathematics.

You tell me to look at the definition of rape. I tell you: learn what rape really is. There's a reason you can correctly apply the term "rape" to cultures, civilizations, even land without literally sticking your dick in it.

And the absurdity of it all is that you're trying to tell me I'm wrong when you quite literally don't even know what I'm talking about.
    Rape is about forcing someone into sex. Nothing else.

That's a fair point, you can use it to mean stripping something of its resources. Can you give me your best example of how that definition would fit this?

Deleted
    I didn't say rape doesn't involve sex, I said it isn't about the sex.

Here's my post again, I even highlighted the relevant words, feel free to read it until you get it. Don't bother responding until you understand what I'm saying.
    Again you and your feminist doctrine, its just laughable. There is a big difference between "how people feel after they where raped" and "why people rape", what feminist theory does is trying to explain what happened to a rape victim through the complex the victim got from the rape. So that a victim feels that they where powerless doesn't mean that the rapist did it because they wanted to make the other person feel powerless, yet this is exactly what feminist theory suggests. Feminism is by nature a very lopsided institution that only looks at everything from a single point of view and stamps out doctrine from that. It is not exactly strange that when you just look extremely to one side that you end up with the drivel that is gender studies today. A step in the right direction would be not to give other meanings to words, things like "rape culture" do not have anything to do with either rape nor culture. If you want to describe something like this, then use terms that are actually relevant to what you are trying to say, even though it might not sound so edgy. Something like "sexual nature" would describe what you are saying much better then "rape culture".

Sexual nature perfectly describes the situation, if you look at someone in a sexual nature you are looking at them as a sexual object. It also describes the situation when you are talking about it being everywhere. You see, a culture is something that a group of people do, when everyone does it because of who and what we are then it is not called a culture but rather nature. So again this perfectly describes the situation, it just doesn't sound so edgy and it doesn't condemn one half of the sexes.

Yea yea, i keep responding to stuff and you do not like this, when you refrain from staying stupid stuff like this i will stop replying, i think that is very amicable. And again, "don't bother responding until you understand what i'm saying" roughly translated means "if you do not agree with me i won't bother to defend my stance". That is not how this works, if you want an echo chamber for your feelings then i would suggest you go some place else.

Sanity is hard to come by these days it seems.

Deleted

Again, posting doctrine isn't the same as making a point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    Why not just be pro feminism in the gender class, sounds like an easy A to boost gpa
    Makes too much sense. I couldn't tell you how many courses I've taken where I've had to play the professors/books game to get by. There are battles worth fighting and times where you need to play the game. Some people make stuff too hard for their own good.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Rape is about forcing someone into sex. Nothing else.
    Yes, and what does the use of force require? The removal of the ability to object on the part of the victim. To force someone to do something, you must first strip them of their ability to object. You must control their options, you must ensure that their only "option" is the one you are forcing upon them: rape. Rape is about taking and controlling.

That's a fair point, you can use it to mean stripping something of its resources. Can you give me your best example of how that definition would fit this?
    I already did. The resource was self-determination. When a rapist forces sex upon someone, they strip them of their self-determination. It is a resource many cultures strip from women on a daily basis, insisting they must be defined by their looks, their husband, their children, their sexual partners and not by what the woman wants to be defined by. Sexual rape is a method of control, used to take away the self-determination of another, to define them by what the rapist did to them. Rape culture is a method of control, used to take away the self-determination of another and instead define them by what the culture believes they should be defined as. Victims. Objects. Possessions. Lesser persons.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Yes, and what does the use of force require? The removal of the ability to object on the part of the victim. To force someone to do something, you must first strip them of their ability to object. You must control their options, you must ensure that their only "option" is the one you are forcing upon them: rape. Rape is about taking and controlling.

I already did. The resource was self-determination. When a rapist forces sex upon someone, they strip them of their self-determination. It is a resource many cultures strip from women on a daily basis, insisting they must be defined by their looks, their husband, their children, their sexual partners and not by what the woman wants to be defined by. Sexual rape is a method of control, used to take away the self-determination of another, to define them by what the rapist did to them. Rape culture is a method of control, used to take away the self-determination of another and instead define them by what the culture believes they should be defined as. Victims. Objects. Possessions. Lesser persons.
    And yet again a very lopsided view of the situation. When a country "rapes" another country for its resources then they do not take away that countries self-determination because they want to have power over them. They want to have the power over that country because they want to have those resources. It is about the resources, not about the power. The power enables them to take the resources, but power isn't the reason why they want to have the resources.

Deleted
    I guess you're not particularly aware of how rape happens if you think someone has to be stopped from objecting.

Deleted
    She needs help. I won't say it's fake or a troll (though it does have elements to its narrative what with 'screaming at the computer screen') but if she cannot function at her job and -knows- it, she does not need to post about it on Facebook. What she needs is counseling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    I guess you're not particularly aware of how rape happens if you think someone has to be stopped from objecting.
    I'm somewhat terrified of the possible answer I may receive, but I'm going to risk it and say: well why don't you explain to me "how rape happens" then?

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I find her behaviour to be pretty unacceptable and that she should not really be a teacher, it seems to me like she is suffering from some mental instability from being raped. She needs help more than anything and take a leave from her job until she sorts out her mental health issues.

That's not to say I support gender studies courses. They have no place in an academic setting, as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-04-23 at 09:08 AM.

Rape culture is a method of control, used to take away the self-determination of another and instead define them by what the culture believes they should be defined as. Victims. Objects. Possessions. Lesser persons.
    So someone calling me an idiot is rape culture? How about a company seeing me as just an object to create profit for them? Rape culture?

What the hell is "gender class"? When i think about it I'm not sure i even want to know the answer...

Deleted
    So someone calling me an idiot is rape culture? How about a company seeing me as just an object to create profit for them? Rape culture?
    Yes, rape culture is everywhere

The neighbour calling that child from across the street an idiot for trying to jump from tree to tree, luckily it was a boy, otherwise it would surely have been rapeculture.

10+ Year Old Account
    So someone calling me an idiot is rape culture?
    For what I wrote, I am admittedly confused on your response.

One person calling you an idiot could be an expression of rape culture. It could also not. There are so many variables that I can't see here I can't give you an answer. Are they calling you an idiot because you messed up? Are they calling you an idiot even when you did well in order to abuse and demean you? Are they calling you an idiot because they're an asshole? Are they an asshole to you because they've been trained to treat women as lesser people? Some of these are expressions of rape culture, some of them are not.

Not all attempts to control you are rape culture, but rape culture is always an attempt to control.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I'm somewhat terrified of the possible answer I may receive, but I'm going to risk it and say: well why don't you explain to me "how rape happens" then?
    Usual scenario with people you know? One ignores the objections, not stripped of the ability to object they just don't care that you do.