Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    "I assume you are older then me" - than*

I corrected it because it's wrong, and such a common mistake that doing it today is funny.
    Fair enough. I thought you were correcting the first "Then", totally skipped over the second one. Apologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    as everyone the younger persons can like true video games and it's mandatory btw to properly educate them about good video games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I saw ads for Legion on TV before release.

Saw even more ads online though, which is where people dwell these days.
    Saw 0 on tv here in Holland.
    Not since WoD.

Back in the days where celebrities did their yearly TV commercials for WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Not since WoD.

Doesn't change the fact that I saw them though, does it? Someone else said they were even shown in Poland. My bet is that they did show them in Holland, you just happened to never see one.

And "celebrities"... that's debatable, but to think they alone made people interested is cute. I remember the critique they got for using a "washed up meme" when they hired Chuck Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    You want to reach the new generation by advertising on TV? :P
    Maybe Blizzard can use the radio next get a nice advertising campaign on some AM stations.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Not since WoD.

maybe the conversion in Holland is to low to advertise on tv , to many stations for only 15 million people

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Pretty trivial these days... can even buy all the way to 100 if you want.
    That helps a new player how? Sure you can spend an obscene amount of money on a character boost or you can play through hours of awful open world garbage. Without liking end game how do you justify people having to suffer through that content. Ironically even if you manage to find those few people who are so ignorant of the existence of other games to actually enjoy WoW's early questing, they get introduced to end game where they simply don't have enough new stuff like that to keep them playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazkaldar View Post
    Most young kids I know simply don't get hooked whenever they try WOW. It requires a much more intelligent approach since TBC-Wrath. Everything is about end game, and even if they get there, it's not fun for them because of their perspective of what happens "right now". This thinking is no different than from how it was when WoW released. For older players, we value probabilities and calculate time to do things, while they just see the game as it is.
    It's not just about WoW, but about the whole genre. WoW may be old or suffer from whatever drawbacks one can think about, but if the whole genre was still going strong, other games would pick up the customers.

However, we do not see this happening: while new MMOs come out, most of them fail to retain customers and wither away. OTOH, we see a significant increase in games requiring a short attention span and enabling players to jump in them without any significant barriers. Mobile games, especially, tend to be a fairly good representation of that. MMOs do not fit into that "instant gratification" mechanic and cannot compete.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    That helps a new player how? Sure you can spend an obscene amount of money on a character boost or you can play through hours of awful open world garbage. Without liking end game how do you justify people having to suffer through that content. Ironically even if you manage to find those few people who are so ignorant of the existence of other games to actually enjoy WoW's early questing, they get introduced to end game where they simply don't have enough new stuff like that to keep them playing.
    New players rarely suffer from the jadedness of older ones.

Applying YOUR sense of being tired of the leveling content to every new player isn't very realistic. I remember n00bing my way through the 1-80 content just fine when I was new. And that's the key; The game and everything in it, is new to new players.

Also, saying people would need to be ignorant of other games in order to enjoy WoW's early questing is downright arrogant. What's to say they'd enjoy those "other games" more? What we enjoy is highly subjective after all. Hell, I've leveled 33 characters through the 1-60 and still find ways to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-04-23 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    That helps a new player how?
    Well, a new player has it far easier now than one did 10 years ago... level 1-60 is far smoother than ever before. So a new player today has a far easier and quicker learning curve compared to originally.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    Ah yes, the darn kids these days. They didn't have the attention span to appreciate anything when I was a kid too. Or in the generation before that. And remember when that new-fangled "TV" thing ruined everyone's kids forever? Yeesh. The young people.
    When I was a kid, MMORPGs didn't exist. For starters.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Great only another 10-20 years and maybe you can say "I play World of Warcraft" without being filed under social outcast .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    maybe the conversion in Holland is to low to advertise on tv , to many stations for only 15 million people
    17 Million* And it's alot for that little land.

Not since WoD.

And I did seen TV adverts of WoW around WoD, Warcraft movie and Legion release in Poland. What's your point then?

Deleted
    Not since WoD.

TV isn't a big factor in targetting a new demographic anymore. Online ads is where it's at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    It's not just about WoW, but about the whole genre. WoW may be old or suffer from whatever drawbacks one can think about, but if the whole genre was still going strong, other games would pick up the customers.

However, we do not see this happening: while new MMOs come out, most of them fail to retain customers and wither away. OTOH, we see a significant increase in games requiring a short attention span and enabling players to jump in them without any significant barriers. Mobile games, especially, tend to be a fairly good representation of that. MMOs do not fit into that "instant gratification" mechanic and cannot compete.
    That is true, but I firmly believe the same demographic of customers excist to the same extend as when wow first came out. It's just not a game for casual, bad players, rpg, or the like, that once attracted many. Sadly, many MMORPGS focus on 1) making a unique universe that's hard to relate to, 2) copy as many good things from wow - such as focus on raid and endgame, while forgetting the adventure of such a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Great only another 10-20 years and maybe you can say "I play World of Warcraft" without being filed under social outcast .
    Not being a social outcast is overrated!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Newer generation has a too short attention span for MMORPGs. Stuff like shooters and MOBAs seem to be the upper limit these days.
    Wow is really poor when it comes to being an mmoRPG or even an MMOrpg. If you look for the former, the narrative delivery in wow is asinine if you are used to better ways of single player RPGs and if you look for the later then you will soon find that player contact is for the most part optional when it comes to overcoming challenges in the early levels and most of the time even just a hindrence when it is required.

Also saying that only young people suffer from this is rubbish as well. I see this way more with older people that just don't have it in them anymore to waste their time on pointless things, because they aren't 14-16 anymore and have better things to do.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-04-23 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    And I did seen TV adverts of WoW around WoD, Warcraft movie and Legion release in Poland. What's your point then?
    WoD it did. Legion 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazkaldar View Post
    That is true, but I firmly believe the same demographic of customers excist to the same extend as when wow first came out.
    Exactly.

We're not talking 70 years here, we're talking 13. I can still remember what I had for dinner and the weather outside on the day that I started playing.

If people could be drawn in and enjoy the game back then, they sure as hell can (and are) now. Just as how demographics remained for 100 years of a brand (Coca Cola), the same applies to everything else. New human beings aren't just born void of everything previous generations had in terms of personality and development of interests.

That being said, they should imo no doubt apply questing mechanics and story delivery (voice acting, talking head etc) to the leveling experience at large.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-04-23 at 04:32 PM.