Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    You. Need. To. Focus.

We're still talking about racism, remember? Your cure for racism is that everyone learns the same language, right? Everyone learning to speak to each other they will understand each other better, and the beginnings of the end of racism will be in sight. No more cultural ghettos, multiculturalism will then work splendidly, etc.

My point, which you've clearly, repeatedly missed, is that learning the same language is not, and has never been, a precondition to the ending of racism. Just like Imperialist conquests and forced assimilation across the world didn't end it. Just like the two of us speaking the same language isn't a precondition of me and you understanding each other and getting along, which if you didn't catch the sarcasm (you didn't), we aren't.

You've also completely missed the point that I've never once said that people shouldn't learn other languages. You're the one saying that people need to learn english in order to communicate with you, otherwise you can't control your own racism. My point has, and continues to be, that racism (being a barrier to multiculturalism) isn't the fault of people trying to integrate into a society, but the issue of the people whose racist attitudes force people into cultural ghettos.
    You are a really strange person.

What would you propose we do to eliminate the communication barrier that exists between two people who speak two different languages? Should we use an oppression scale to decide which one needs to be catered to? Should we force a 3rd person to learn both to ensure that no one is "racist" to appease your little fee fees?

How about everyone learn a singular trade language that allows everyone to communicate with each other (gee, you know fostering communication, learning of different cultures, taking steps toward peace) as opposed to encouraging the racist attitude you seem to think is the best way to go?

You. You are the racist. You have nothing to back up anything you pushed forward except thinly veiled notions that anyone who disagrees with you is racist.

You are the racist.

it isnt...the only animals stupid enough to mix around are humans...

on the other hand, the rest of the world does just fine keeping it to themselves

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    You are a really strange person.

What would you propose we do to eliminate the communication barrier that exists between two people who speak two different languages? Should we use an oppression scale to decide which one needs to be catered to? Should we force a 3rd person to learn both to ensure that no one is "racist" to appease your little fee fees?

How about everyone learn a singular trade language that allows everyone to communicate with each other (gee, you know fostering communication, learning of different cultures, taking steps toward peace) as opposed to encouraging the racist attitude you seem to think is the best way to go?

You. You are the racist. You have nothing to back up anything you pushed forward except thinly veiled notions that anyone who disagrees with you is racist.

You are the racist.
    Wtf does any of this have to do with his post? I live in sweden, I speak swedish, people are still racist to me. Like he said, speaking the same language doesn't mean racism ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Wtf does any of this have to do with his post? I live in sweden, I speak swedish, people are still racist to me. Like he said, speaking the same language doesn't mean racism ends.
    Sorry I don't have a source on this but IIRC some social psychologists I listened to have found shared culture (language, beliefs, religion, etc...) does actually make people less racist. You're never going to stamp out racism 100% since it's a nebulous idea empowered by concept creep. You can get rid of the meaningful stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm really not sure what that has to do with the unification of cultures.
    Do you think we force people to understand the signs on the streets?

We're talking about unified cultural conventions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marty096 View Post
    Multiculturalism destroys diversity.
    Perhaps if your view of cultures is that they should exist as separate zoo exhibits.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Perhaps if your view of cultures is that they should exist as separate zoo exhibits.
    Like Epcot Center!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Sorry I don't have a source on this but IIRC some social psychologists I listened to have found shared culture (language, beliefs, religion, etc...) does actually make people less racist.
    Not at all. People who assimilate face racism from the left-wing, being labelled race traitors/uncle toms or whatever. People who don't assimilate face racism from the right-wing, being called invaders, "Go back to your country" and so on. they're not happy with just integration.

I dislike both of them, the left-wing just uses us who don't assimilate as a bat in politics to swing at the right-wing claiming they're racist, intolerant. Then if you do assimilate, they reject you instead.
    Last edited by mmoc29c1f4b73a; 2017-04-26 at 12:10 AM.

Not at all. People who assimilate face racism from the left-wing, being labelled race traitors/uncle toms or whatever. People who don't assimilate face racism from the right-wing, being called invaders, "Go back to your country" and so on.

I dislike both of them, the left-wing just uses us who don't assimilate as a bat in politics to swing at the right-wing claiming they're racist, intolerant. Then if you do assimilate, they reject you instead.
    This is one reason multiculturalism is flawed: the black man adopting "white" culture is called a coon by the left because he's not adopting leftists' determined culture for blacks. If the culture were more unified, we would all celebrate being a part of this culture.

Sorry I don't have a source on this but IIRC some social psychologists I listened to have found shared culture (language, beliefs, religion, etc...) does actually make people less racist. You're never going to stamp out racism 100% since it's a nebulous idea empowered by concept creep. You can get rid of the meaningful stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think we force people to understand the signs on the streets?

We're talking about unified cultural conventions.
    We're talking about far more than just street signs. We're talking about multi culture, and how they relate to one another. If you think this is just about street signs, you haven't been paying attention. This is about accepting other cultures, or choosing to ignore them, and how government plays a roll in it all.

If you are going to push out multiculturalism, you are almost certainly going to use force to do so. The only place you would have any authority over such a matter, is on your own property. That's why I find it so strange that so many people think we need to stop multiculturalism, because force (or solitude) is the only real way to accomplish it.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-04-26 at 12:14 AM.

This is one reason multiculturalism is flawed: the black man adopting "white" culture is called a coon by the left because he's not adopting leftists' determined culture for blacks. If the culture were more unified, we would all celebrate being a part of this culture.
    Yeah, the left totally hated Obama. Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    We're talking about far more than just street signs. We're talking about multi culture, and how they relate to one another. If you think this is just about street signs, you haven't been paying attention. This is about accepting other cultures, or choosing to ignore them, and how government plays a roll in it all.
    Oh sure, but it's all gradations from having unified street signs to having, for example, standardized, conventional language, or secular outlooks, or a valuing of astrobiology or something. How did we get people to follow the same street signs? The answer can help us in assimilating other cultures into the native one, rather than having to accept foreign enclaves.

Deleted
    Oh sure, but it's all gradations from having unified street signs to having, for example, standardized, conventional language, or secular outlooks, or a valuing of astrobiology or something. How did we get people to follow the same street signs? The answer can help us in assimilating other cultures into the native one, rather than having to accept foreign enclaves.
    Not sure why one would want to assimilate when as someone else said you have to adopt christian values:

In the 21st century United States, Australia, UK and other countries, the phrases "Christian values" and "family values" are used by Christian right and conservative political groups to describe some or all of the following political stances:
    censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television.[4]
    the desirability of laws against induced abortion
    sexual abstinence outside of marriage and abstinence-only education[5]
    the promotion of intelligent design to be taught in public schools and colleges as an alternative to evolution.[6]
    the desirability of laws against same-sex marriage
    support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society[7]
    the desirability of organized prayer in public schools[8]

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, the left totally hated Obama. Totally.
    I should be more specific, the "left" that Anni referred to was the far-left SJW. Most leftists would probably love to see black people succeed in life and become more assimilated.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why one would want to assimilate when as someone else said you have to adopt christian values:
    That's something someone would have to do a cost-benefit analysis of before they immigrate. I know I don't like Saudi Arabian values so I don't want to go there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because, ideally all of the cultures mix together and grow and improve together into new and greater things.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Street signs are rather simple, many show pictures, and they are universal. Of course, when it comes to culture, it goes far deeper than a street sign. I would hope you understand it, because you are the only one hung up on street signs. When it comes to languages and customs, if you wish to unify it, and have the government push such a thing, you are using force to do it. If the government is involved, force is involved, it really is that simply. That's why I'm damn glad English is not the official language, or that we are all required to celebrate a specific holiday, or that gay marriage is legal. People can assimilate just fine, no government force is required. If they do not wish to assimilate, fine. So long as someone else is not causing any harm, it shouldn't matter what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Just wondering, why people think multi culture is a good thing for a country? Never figured out why 1 culture isn't good.
    There's nothing wrong with it, but forced multiculturalism has been proven time and time again to be a bad thing. The crisis in Europe is all the proof anyone needs of that. At the same time, the attitude that it's OK to celebrate every culture on Earth, except being white, is also a problem. I am in no way endorsing White Power or racism of any kind. But it's not OK for every race in existence to be allowed to be proud of their race, except for whites. That kind of attitude is actual racism, me being proud that I'm a white Irish and Polish male is not racist.

Deleted
    That's something someone would have to do a cost-benefit analysis of before they immigrate. I know I don't like Saudi Arabian values so I don't want to go there.
    I kinda moved to get a better life. Not to live in a society that oppress women, oppress homosexuals, censorship and so on. Christian values seems to be a synonym for I hate everyone that's not like me - man, prude, straight, intolerant and sensitive.

It would be a very dull world and I suspect we wouldn't see half the things we're seeing around us if our countries had stayed perfectly isolated and not taken ANYTHING foreign in. I know for a fact that the very house I am currently residing within, was designed (if you can call it that) and built by Ze Germanz, their efficiency and high quality standards have my gratitude.

The problems arise when people look at the extremes among certain groups of people, and then apply those extremes to "Oh it's part of their culture, it's just how they function!"... It's as if we were to say that every single person in the US, adheres to the extremes seen within the biblethumping belt and that it's "how American culture functions, it's how they're all wired" when clearly that's not the case.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-04-26 at 12:27 AM.

I kinda moved to get a better life. Not to live in a society that oppress women, oppress homosexuals, censorship and so on. Christian values seems to be a synonym for I hate everyone that's not like me - man, prude, straight, intolerant and sensitive.
    And you'd have to make that decision yourself. Does this "better life" outweigh your moral values on women, homosexuals, etc.?

Deleted
    And you'd have to make that decision yourself. Does this "better life" outweigh your moral values on women, homosexuals, etc.?
    The thing is that you don't have to assimilate into that stuff and you shouldn't either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Like with a lot of things, it depends on the person. There are many people who take their Christian beliefs as a requirement that they be benevolent and kind to others, even those who may not necessarily perfectly embody whatever values they think Christianity requires of them.
    This spawned from someone saying that people need to adopt christian values when they move to the west.

Which is

In the 21st century United States, Australia, UK and other countries, the phrases "Christian values" and "family values" are used by Christian right and conservative political groups to describe some or all of the following political stances:
    censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television.[4]
    the desirability of laws against induced abortion
    sexual abstinence outside of marriage and abstinence-only education[5]
    the promotion of intelligent design to be taught in public schools and colleges as an alternative to evolution.[6]
    the desirability of laws against same-sex marriage
    support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society[7]
    the desirability of organized prayer in public schools[8]

This is just batshit crazy things. Very few actually believe in these things here.