The Illidari - brotherhood of the elves?

I'm always surprised at how the blood elves and night elven guys of the Illidari work as a completely united front. There are no clique groups, nor is there any racism or antagonising between night elf and blood elf. They are all brothers, all elves, united, one purpose, one cause, the past differences between their people are meaningless compared to the greatest struggle and fight their world has ever faced.

In this they show a level of maturity, wisdom and harmony that belies the seemingly warped sense of rightness that caused them to go to THAT extent of taking the fel into their body, something usually only the insane would do, not those who claim to be fighting for their world no matter the cost. Not many realize the strength of conviction that can bear such a burden and remain pure of heart, but when you hear the heart of their cause "The Legion would do anything to destroy our world, and we will sacrifice everything to save it." you begin to believe.

Have any of you ever served in the military? If you're black or white, or possibly even muslim and serve in the U.S military, I find the bond of the Illidari is like that. When you serve as NAVY SEAL or a Marine, or in any of the armed forces, you form a bond with your brothers that transcends the past conflicts between blacks and whites, catholics and protestants, anti-semite and semite. You have the back of your brother, and he is your brother even though he is as black as tar and you're as white as snow, whether he was from a wealthy and educated background and you were from the slums, poor and orphaned. It matters not.

The Illidari portrays the brotherhood of the armed forces best, as in it two opposed factions of elves have their enmity and differences obliterated by their common bond of purpose and fellowship. Here they are not night elf or blood elf, dark skinned or light skinned, they are elves, of Azeroth, and they would sacrifice everything to save their world from the evil that will do everything to devour it.

Thumbs up to the Illidari.

The illidari are the perfect example of what an elven commonwealth must be

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    more like an elven army. Am I the only one that feels the experience mirrors military brotherhood? and stands out moreso because the sin'dorei and kaldorei have been written to hate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm always surprised at how the blood elves and night elven guys of the Illidari work as a completely united front. There are no clique groups, nor is there any racism or antagonising between night elf and blood elf. They are all brothers, all elves, united, one purpose, one cause, the past differences between their people are meaningless compared to the greatest struggle and fight their world has ever faced.

In this they show a level of maturity, wisdom and harmony that belies the seemingly warped sense of rightness that caused them to go to THAT extent of taking the fel into their body, something usually only the insane would do, not those who claim to be fighting for their world no matter the cost. Not many realize the strength of conviction that can bear such a burden and remain pure of heart, but when you hear the heart of their cause "The Legion would do anything to destroy our world, and we will sacrifice everything to save it." you begin to believe.

Have any of you ever served in the military? If you're black or white, or possibly even muslim and serve in the U.S military, I find the bond of the Illidari is like that. When you serve as NAVY SEAL or a Marine, or in any of the armed forces, you form a bond with your brothers that transcends the past conflicts between blacks and whites, catholics and protestants, anti-semite and semite. You have the back of your brother, and he is your brother even though he is as black as tar and you're as white as snow, whether he was from a wealthy and educated background and you were from the slums, poor and orphaned. It matters not.

The Illidari portrays the brotherhood of the armed forces best, as in it two opposed factions of elves have their enmity and differences obliterated by their common bond of purpose and fellowship. Here they are not night elf or blood elf, dark skinned or light skinned, they are elves, of Azeroth, and they would sacrifice everything to save their world from the evil that will do everything to devour it.

Thumbs up to the Illidari.

Maybe a war and a common enemy would "unite us", but when I served in the army, I had several people in my platoon that were more or less criminals and I would never trust them with anything.
    Mother pus bucket!

Well yeah, the Illidari are basically a cult and probably as brainwashed as the Navy Seals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    i fix that for you: the illidari are the perfect example of how bad lore writing feels. of how you could sacrifice lore for cheap gameplay development (DH). of how you instantly forget that all illidari in TBC where just blood elves. of... you got it.

i give a fuck on that fast-implemented DH shit, with their hillarious instantly-redeemed-forget-all-past Lord fukin Illidan, their hillarious "what have you give up?" illidari brainless illidan followers and all that cheap and fast-inserted DH stuff, thats just there for marketing Legion instead for evolving the wow universe. piss on it.

its just crap. everything about it.

ps: lol, and after Legion DHs are even more hillarious, since there are no demons anymore. that great demon hunters that have nothing to hunt, and before becoming bored, help saving the world from the next big villain. maybe they will then rename theirselfs to naga hunters or something. lol.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2017-04-28 at 12:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Illidari are like the death knights of Acherus, in that they don't really consider themselves faction-first (as members of the Scourge they were the Lich King's servants first and foremost, and afterward they're Mograine's soldiers first and members of their factions second, as seen by Thassarian and Koltira constantly setting the Alliance and Horde's interests for Andorhal aside in favor of dealing with the local Scourge problem). I don't think it's about maturity, wisdom, or harmony. They just don't care about racial purity or faction allegiance, since night elf demon hunters exist on the outskirts of night elf society as heretics (as we've seen from demon hunter questgivers in Vanilla, The Burning Crusade, and Cataclysm) and blood elf demon hunters were part of Kael'thas's troops that were loaned to Illidan to be trained as demon hunters.

Since they spent the time between us killing Illidan and their return prior to the Legion invasions after the Broken Shore in stasis crystals, blood elf demon hunters also probably didn't get the memo on blood elves joining the Horde, Kael'thas going crazy and being defeated by a blood elf-draenei coalition (with help from Alliance and Horde adventurers), or what the blood elves have been up to as a society between the Scourging of Quel'Thalas up to now until they get to Dalaran (at which point one would assume the Sunreavers filled them in). So they have zero context for sudden Horde faction pride with which to put strain on their relations with night elf Illidari, though they might get in on the faction conflict just to rub dirt in the humans' eyes for their treatment by Garithos's men in the retaking of Dalaran after the Third War.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    ps: lol, and after Legion DHs are even more hillarious, since there are no demons anymore. that great demon hunters that have nothing to hunt, and before becoming bored, help saving the world from the next big villain. maybe they will then rename theirselfs to naga hunters or something. lol.
    There will still be rogue warlocks summoning demons, rogue demons hidden away. Demons won't simply vanish. If that did happen then may as well remove remove demon hunters, make them shadow hunters, respec warlocks into necromancers.

10+ Year Old Account
    United in hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    United in hatred.
    More like united in cutting themselves and taking angsty selfies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    United in hatred.
    That's actually a very accurate description, for both demon hunters and death knights.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

It's more like a cult than a brotherhood. They all scramble to follow Illidan and feed into his ego.....why else would they be the Illidari instead of the DHJL Demon Hunter Justice League.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Wanting to stop the Legion out weighs any childish issues of dislike for other people fighting on your side.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    There will still be rogue warlocks summoning demons, rogue demons hidden away. Demons won't simply vanish. If that did happen then may as well remove remove demon hunters, make them shadow hunters, respec warlocks into necromancers.
    Yeah unless we actually manage to permanently kill every single demon Demon Hunters will still have demons to fight even if the Legion is destroyed. And its not like they have to only fight Demons there are still the Old Gods servants.

It's more that the Illidari are completely irrelevant and only have like 2 members with actual character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    more like an elven army. Am I the only one that feels the experience mirrors military brotherhood? and stands out moreso because the sin'dorei and kaldorei have been written to hate each other.
    Not so much as a sense of belonging, they feel very united as one people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    i fix that for you: the illidari are the perfect example of how bad lore writing feels. of how you could sacrifice lore for cheap gameplay development (DH). of how you instantly forget that all illidari in TBC where just blood elves. of... you got it.

i give a fuck on that fast-implemented DH shit, with their hillarious instantly-redeemed-forget-all-past Lord fukin Illidan, their hillarious "what have you give up?" illidari brainless illidan followers and all that cheap and fast-inserted DH stuff, thats just there for marketing Legion instead for evolving the wow universe. piss on it.

its just crap. everything about it.

night elves illidari DH in TBC
    Theras

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Theras

Alandien

Netharel

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Netharel