Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Oxford University sorry for eye contact racism claim

Oxford University has apologised for saying that avoiding eye contact could be "everyday racism" after it was accused of discriminating against autistic people.

The claim was included in a list of "racial micro-aggressions" in an equality and diversity unit newsletter.
    But the university was criticised for being "insensitive" to autistic people who can struggle making eye contact.
    It said it had made a mistake and not taken disabilities into account.

The university originally said "racial micro-aggressions" might include: "Not making eye contact or speaking directly to people."
    It described the behaviours as "subtle, everyday racism" which can be alienating.
    'Discrimination'

But Twitter users criticised the newsletter and academics argued the guidance was "trivialising racism".
    David M. Davis tweeted: "This is just discrimination against autistic people. One sign of autism is avoiding eye contact. How dare Oxford be so insensitive."

In a series of tweets, the university replied: "We made a mistake. Our newsletter was too brief to deal adequately and sensibly with the issue.
    "We are sorry that we took no account of other reasons for difference in eye contact and social interaction, including disability.
    "Oxford deeply values and works hard to support students and staff with disabilities, including those with autism or social anxiety disorder."

Emeritus professor of sociology at the University of Kent, Prof Frank Furedi, said the newsletter's authors "need a reality check".
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39742670

they can't go in any direction or they hit the -ism or phobia trap.

it's comical.

Oh my God. I am legitimately breathless after laughing. Did they really not consider people that are uncomfortable looking people in the eye before tagging it racism?

That's amazing. Gold stars for Oxford.

... Wow, WOOOOOW!!!

Low-key racism? I always figured there are people more and less apt at the social game, more or less shy, more or less outgoing... Now one has to look out so that one doesn't avoid eye-contact with someone of a darker skin color than oneself?

Jesus... Oh, sorry! Don't want to offend any atheists (I am one, but still) so I'll praise RNGebus!... Oh shit, didn't mean to offend the people rabidly against the RNG elements of Legion!! GAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... Wow, WOOOOOW!!!

Low-key racism? I always figured there are people more and less apt at the social game, more or less shy, more or less outgoing... Now one has to look out so that one doesn't avoid eye-contact with someone of a darker skin color than oneself?

Jesus... Oh, sorry! Don't want to offend any atheists (I am one, but still) so I'll praise RNGebus!... Oh shit, didn't mean to offend the people rabidly against the RNG elements of Legion!! GAH!!!
    The whole expansion offends me, and as such, you mentioning it is racism towards me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

So now shy people are racist?

Did I read this wrong?.. or does university leadership and brain damage go hand in hand? Been quite a few gems from that direction after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... Wow, WOOOOOW!!!

I'll have you know that RNG is one of my triggers, look forward to hearing from my lawyer.

So that leaves Britain with one university?

15+ Year Old Account
    Fuckin lel. Sjws eating themselves again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post

Did I read this wrong?.. or does university leadership and brain damage go hand in hand? Been quite a few gems from that direction after all.
    It's just the usual "Everything is racism,fascism,other-kinds-of-isms" we keep getting. I hope that the day isn't too far away that these people can't claw out of the hole they made for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post

They atleast issued a limp wristed apology where they admit they called it racist without even considering that autistic people, and some non-autistic, have trouble looking people in the eye.

But who cares if racism is made more of a joke by colleges?

Dear God,

Please end it all.

Sincerely,
    Me

Social """""Science"""""
    Working on my next ban.

In a series of tweets, the university replied: "We made a mistake. Our newsletter was too brief to deal adequately and sensibly with the issue.
    There's no sensible way to deal with liberal-elite insanity like this.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You obviously read it wrong if that's what you took away from it. How is that even a question? The article plainly states that Oxford apologized for not presenting an appropriately nuanced view.
    It wasn't nuanced to begin with.

No eye contact=racism. By Oxford.

So some cultures where eye contact is seen as not polite with strangers are actually just racist?

Just so it's clear if you keep eye contact it's sexual harrasment. So no matter what just don't go outside or you might end up harassing someone.

When I am out walking, I usually look at the ground, to avoid stepping in dog shit, I am so racist!

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused where race is playing a part here. That said, its also common for people to avoid eye contact for a variety of reasons, one such reason being social anxiety. I'm disabled myself. If I'm having a conversation with someone and they seem to be avoiding eye contact, I'll think they're being rude, but I could care less if people I pass by every day look at me or not. Actually, when I was looking my worst, I actually preferred that people didn't look at me. Universities are just getting too out of hand.

These Universities really need to take a stand and remove all of these lower education studies (Gender, Racial, Queer, Diversity etc..) before they lose all credibility.

its unbelievable how much damage they have done in the last few years