Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrading CPU + Motherboard

Hey guys, i want to give my PC a boost and Currently my CPU and Motherboard are the Oldest Parts on my PC (pretty Old). Here are my Specs, i want to Upgrade the PC Step by Step since i currently cant Afford to buy a complete new PC. I Mainly Play World of Warcraft and Guildwars 2

Mainboard: Asus P7P55LX
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    GPU : Nvidia GTX770 OC
    RAM : 2x4GB Ripjaw CL1099? 1333MHz dont know the specifics ;S
    Powersupply : beQuiet! BQT L7-530W

1x SSD OCZ Vertex4
    1x HDD Samsung HD502HJ 500GB
    1x HDD WD5001AALS-00L3B2 500GB
    Last edited by pr0fite; 2017-04-29 at 05:01 PM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.48 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $180.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 12:41 EDT-0400

Would be a decent upgrade to your setup.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-04-29 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.48 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $180.45
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 12:41 EDT-0400

Would be a decent upgrade to your setup.
    Wow that was fast and Costs alot Less than i Anticipated . I forgot to mention my Powersupply : beQuiet! BQT L7-530W
    Last edited by pr0fite; 2017-04-29 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pr0fite View Post
    Wow that was fast and Costs alot Less than i Anticipated . I forgot to mention my Powersupply : beQuiet! BQT L7-530W
    Ya the g4560 is a great CPU for the price, should play WoW quite a bit better than your current CPU. Your GPU is more than fine still, so is your PSU.

Ya the g4560 is a great CPU for the price, should play WoW quite a bit better than your current CPU. Your GPU is more than fine still, so is your PSU.
    another question, since we are already on it :P when i'm Installing the new Components, should i make a Clean OS Installment ? ^^

another question, since we are already on it :P when i'm Installing the new Components, should i make a Clean OS Installment ? ^^
    I have heard if you install motherboard first it has a better chance of not complaining later, so i would install parts>mess around for a while>do fresh install. If you do have a problem you can always contact them, just make sure to write down the key first.

What's your OS right now? If it's not Windows 10, Microsoft might give it some trouble on Kaby Lake setups.

EDIT: Always fresh install when changing motherboards. There are plenty of cases where all will go well... and there are plenty of cases where it just breaks in creative and nightmarish ways. Also, fresh OS installs are nice and snappy.
    Super casual.

Yeah Got Windows 10 Home.

While the above posted parts might be an upgrade over your current setup it is the absolute lowest CPU you can buy atm that is still somewhat suitable for gaming, I would not recommend it unless you really can not spend more, even a skylake i3 would be quite a bit better. (you dod not mention a budget as far as i can see)

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    While the above posted parts might be an upgrade over your current setup it is the absolute lowest CPU you can buy atm that is still somewhat suitable for gaming, I would not recommend it unless you really can not spend more, even a skylake i3 would be quite a bit better. (you dod not mention a budget as far as i can see)
    Please stop posting if you don't know what you are talking about. G4560 is an i3 minus a few hundred megahertz, for half the price. It will be a substantial upgrade over his current CPU that is a 8 year old architecture, he can easily expect 15-20 fps increase in WoW with this upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Got Windows 10 Home.
    Then ya the process i outlined above is what i would do. I have also heard it helps with activation if you are logged into your outlook account.

Please stop posting if you don't know what you are talking about. G4560 is an i3 minus a few hundred megahertz, for half the price. It will be a substantial upgrade over his current CPU that is a 8 year old architecture, he can easily expect 15-20 fps increase in WoW with this upgrade.
    My point is he did not state a budget and you recommend the cheapest CPU he can buy which may or may not be what he wants and I want to make sure he knows this b4 spending the money especially seeing he was surprised he could upgrade for so little.

There are a lot of options for upgrading depending on how much you can/want to spend and how long you want the system to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    My point is he did not state a budget and you recommend the cheapest CPU he can buy which may or may not be what he wants and I want to make sure he knows this b4 spending the money especially seeing he was surprised he could upgrade for so little.

There are a lot of options for upgrading depending on how much you can/want to spend and how long you want the system to last.
    Then say that. You said 4560 is an entry level chip without knowing what it actually is, it is almost identical in performance to a i3 6100 skylake for half the price, it was intel throwing a bone to budget builders.

Sure i5's and r5's exist, but for the games the OP listed there is really no reason to go that route.

Well i didn't mention my Budget, thats true, roundabout 300€ max. if i can afford more with that and get more out of it im happy about that.

As i said i Mostly play World of Warcraft and Guildwars 2, but still have some other Games i play sometimes like Witcher 3, GTA 5.
    Last edited by pr0fite; 2017-04-29 at 06:44 PM.

Well i didn't mention my Budget, thats true, roundabout 300€ max.
    Just no point in spending more than what i linked, unless you play other games that aren't listed. Would legit be throwing money away lol.

- - - Updated - - -

This would be the other option you have:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€177.69 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€78.54 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€54.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €310.42
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 20:56 CEST+0200

Value is good on both systems, but for the games you listed you wouldnt see an increase spending more in this case.

Here is a video with both CPU's 8 games tested, to give you an idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbDpMWo7XTk

Keep in mind you can overclock the ryzen 1400, numbers would be much difference once you did.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-04-29 at 07:03 PM.

Then say that. You said 4560 is an entry level chip without knowing what it actually is, it is almost identical in performance to a i3 6100 skylake for half the price, it was intel throwing a bone to budget builders.

Sure i5's and r5's exist, but for the games the OP listed there is really no reason to go that route.

Yeah, sure, but don't suggest an i3 currently, they are really really pointless.

Just no point in spending more than what i linked, unless you play other games that aren't listed. Would legit be throwing money away lol.

- - - Updated - - -

This would be the other option you have:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€177.69 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€78.54 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€54.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €310.42
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 20:56 CEST+0200

Value is good on both systems, but for the games you listed you wouldnt see an increase spending more in this case.

Here is a video with both CPU's 8 games tested, to give you an idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbDpMWo7XTk

Keep in mind you can overclock the ryzen 1400, numbers would be much difference once you did.
    why would you go ryzen when its been proven to be subpar comapred to its intel counterpart?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, sure, but don't suggest an i3 currently, they are really really pointless.
    G4560 is an incredible value for money, one of the only intel CPU's i suggest these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    why would you go ryzen when its been proven to be subpar comapred to its intel counterpart?
    They aren't subpar, a 1400 is unlocked and perform similarly to locked i5's when overclocked. Not to mention the massive amounts of overall processing power you get compared to what intel is offering. I will never suggest an i5 to anyone again unless intel revamps the series, which they will have to.

G4560 is an incredible value for money, one of the only intel CPU's i suggest these days.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't subpar, a 1400 is unlocked and perform similarly to locked i5's when overclocked. Not to mention the massive amounts of overall processing power you get compared to what intel is offering. I will never suggest an i5 to anyone again unless intel revamps the series, which they will have to.
    except in gaming the i5 outperforms it. The only thing the AMD exceeds in it is multithreading which has limited uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    except in gaming the i5 outperforms it. The only thing the AMD exceeds in it is multithreading which has limited uses.
    Ive went over this so much i really cant be bothered to explain why R5 is the better choice at this point.

Ive went over this so much i really cant be bothered to explain why R5 is the better choice at this point.
    go ahead, all the benchmarks i see show intel beating amd in gaming.