Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What were they thinking when they made...

the quests for the classes...

I cant refer to all of them since i tried only a few....mainly priest,warrior & mage...

While at first it seemed cool, those quests support the worst kind of gameplay hearthstone has to offer. They follow the same mechanic as dragon priest, anyfin paladin, cthun decks and so on. You just stall all game long, play defensive and destructive and get rewarded in the end.

They could have been more creative. I mean as soon they pop the quest on turn 1 you know 95% of the cards that will come.

Would the effect on the game be any different if they hadn't made the quests?

With the option of netdecks ever since HS came out you know roughly 95% of the cards in competitive decks anyway, even fun decks can end up being predictable when you have websites like Hearthpwn that allow easy sharing of decks online. So I don't see how the quest mechanic introduced this problem when it was already around.

Like you mentioned, you only have experience with those first few class quests, but some of the other class quests aren't control stall-fests. The paladin one most often falls into a divine shield aggro pally type of playstyle before the wombo-combo, the hunter quest can either go full aggro or a more reliable midrange style of play, & both the warlock & druid ones have different playstyles that are not based around stalling the game out.

Keep in mind that the quests in and off themselves offer a variety of ways to play the quests, but the player communities pigeonhole how the decks are 'supposed to be played' in an effort to make the quests both high performing and competitively consistent. In this sense the players cause their own problem in making the quest playstyle boring/stale.

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    I mean as soon they pop the quest on turn 1 you know 95% of the cards that will come.
    This isn't anything new though to HS.

The moment they dropped a C'thun card, the moment they dropped a Jade related card, etc., and as you pointed out, dragons, murlocs, and so on.

They were thinking what they were always thinking basically, although there are decks that don't run quests so it's not like the quests are the only things out there.

I like the quests, although some of them are a lot better then others. At the moment the only two viable quest decks in high level constructed are Warrior and Rogue.

This is really a stupid complaint. You choose your gameplan the moment you see your opponent and mulligan for the correct deck. For example, choosing if you want ravaging ghoul to play against aggro or go for more control-centric cards like slam, acolyte, etc. This is the curse of virtual ccgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The quests aren't the issue, they're just a symptom. The issue is that - across the board - Blizzard seems to try too hard to basically build the decks for you.

Half your deck is gonna be all the class cards that are too good to not use, and the other half are gonna be of whatever theme you picked (or often didn't pick, since many classes even get their theme ideas pre-selected for them) and that's essentially what decks get played.
    unfortunately this problem is the result of having classes and not colors. WoW TCG had the exact same problem. You either play a subtype style deck (murlocs, etc) that are too good together or a generic neutral deck like when the game first launched (sunwalker, argent commander, shattered sun cleric, azure drake, sylvanas) because they are good in a vacuum.

when you switch to games like MtG that have color blending it complicates deckbuilding much more and allows a balance of consistency vs power. It's more of a give and take scenario when every color has good cards but you can't (consistently) run all 5 colors so you have to pick a choose a triangle if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    This is really a stupid complaint. You choose your gameplan the moment you see your opponent and mulligan for the correct deck. For example, choosing if you want ravaging ghoul to play against aggro or go for more control-centric cards like slam, acolyte, etc. This is the curse of virtual ccgs.
    I know that there are advantages of knowing what i play against. I say i dont like the gameplay...

do nothing for the game and just destroy every effort that your opponent does and the get rewarded for doing nothing.

I don't think quests are really that big of an issue since most of them suck.

Now alive only 2 quests: rouge and warrior. Others are crap
    Last edited by crazylandd; 2017-05-01 at 02:38 PM.
    want to build your own PC? - TheComputerFinder - dont spend more than you need!

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    I know that there are advantages of knowing what i play against. I say i dont like the gameplay...

do nothing for the game and just destroy every effort that your opponent does and the get rewarded for doing nothing.
    So you don't like control decks or combo decks?

Quote Originally Posted by crazylandd View Post
    Now alive only 2 quests: rouge and warrior. Others are crap
    TBH if it weren't for outliers like the rogue quest deck and the still-present Jade and pirate decks, the other quests might be more viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    TBH if it weren't for outliers like the rogue quest deck and the still-present Jade and pirate decks, the other quests might be more viable.
    Mmm it's not just the existence of the rogue quests precluding the others from seeing use

Mage is usable, though not great, and suffers from being buttfucked by aggro while trying to complete it. Freeze works better because they can control the board up to their win condition without having to worry about satisfying the quest pre-reqs at the same time

Hunter quest is just bad. Too hard to complete without running out of cards by turn 4, then you're just topdecking crap

Paladin involves pouring everything into getting a single minion that cannot charge as your win condition. And that means it's susceptible to removal and stalling by taunts.

Warlock is just lolworthy

Druid is too hard to complete without getting god draw of WG and Inns, and fails because it only effects deck and not hand. You MUST have a follow-up Nourish after playing Barnabus, or you're basically just playing one minion a turn anyway. Moreover, it also gets run into the dirt by aggro. Finally, token is just much, much stronger.

Priest is decent anti-aggro, but the deathrattle minions available are just not threatening at all in Standard. N'zoth is much less scary when he's only res'ing 1/1's, MoMixes, Loot Hoarders etc. Control ruins it since Entomb is gone, and Dirty Rat tech is its bane

Shaman... ??? ... I can honestly say I have never seen a single Shaman quest so far. Not one.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post

Paladin involves pouring everything into getting a single minion that cannot charge as your win condition. And that means it's susceptible to removal and stalling by taunts.
    I think the paladin quest is the only one that is designed somehow well. It offers a more versatile playstyle then most other quests and the reward is good but not gamebreaking. It involves also decisions which are crucial for an outcome of a game. Sadly atm its pretty weak, since some otherquests just are the complete oppositie.

Braineffort is more or less zero and the reward is way to powerful.

Mage is usable, though not great, and suffers from being buttfucked by aggro
    This is my point.

I have seen some quest Shamans incidentally. They were okay, more a fun deck than a competitive one. I've seen some discard locks do fairly well, again I think in a different meta that deck might have been successful. Perhaps not top tier but successful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    This is my point.

I have seen some quest Shamans incidentally. They were okay, more a fun deck than a competitive one. I've seen some discard locks do fairly well, again I think in a different meta that deck might have been successful. Perhaps not top tier but successful.
    Quest Rogue isn't an aggro deck. It's a combo deck. It has zero tempo and presence for 4-5 turns before either winning or being eaten.

EDIT: Wait, just went back and read your original post properly. Yep.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

7+ Year Old Account
    Mmm it's not just the existence of the rogue quests precluding the others from seeing use

Shaman... ??? ... I can honestly say I have never seen a single Shaman quest so far. Not one.
    I have a quest shaman deck and it's fun. It's basically every other murloc deck you've ever played, and the quest card gives you a lot of card draw.
    It's not the strongest deck out there, but I've had decent success with decent RNG.

Quest Rogue isn't an aggro deck. It's a combo deck. It has zero tempo and presence for 4-5 turns before either winning or being eaten.
    Well it's really semantics whether you consider it aggro or tempo, the point is it's a highly aggressive deck that forces many decks that are slower (many) or lack an appropriate counter (what counters?) or are vulnerable to this kind of deck (most) out of the meta.

And I've seen them complete the quest on turn 3.

It would have been sweet, if they gave each class 2 completely different quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    It would have been sweet, if they gave each class 2 completely different quests.
    People still would end up complaining, considering maybe 2-3 of the quests ended up being labeled as competitive. If players got say, hunter, warlock, or pally quests what do you think the response would end up being?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    People still would end up complaining, considering maybe 2-3 of the quests ended up being labeled as competitive. If players got say, hunter, warlock, or pally quests what do you think the response would end up being?
    Wayyyyy more complaining. "Omg I got this fucking garbage quest. Why the fuck is blizzard printing all these expensive useless cards. Those money hungry pieces of shit, they're ruining the game and squeezing their players for every dime they can get."

Lol it's kinda fun complaining about it. Maybe they should have actually done it.