Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool If push comes to shove with Donald Trump, Canadians are ready

Forever it seems, Canadians have had jitters about our relationship with the United States. Pierre Trudeau likened it to sleeping beside an elephant. “No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast…one is affected by every twitch and grunt.”

Watching Donald Trump run America—words like “friendly and even tempered” don’t come to mind. Words like “twitch and grunt” on the other hand, seem more than a little apt, even if they were originally meant in a gentle, metaphorical sense.

If President Trump were given free rein to do all that crosses his mind in aid of a Hire America/Buy American agenda, the consequences for Canada would be grave. And so you might think Canadians are waking up scared these days, if we’re even sleeping at all.

But something’s different.

Canadians seem calm despite Trump’s belligerent threats to settle scores with Canada. When Trump says Canadians are doing “disgusting things” to America, Canadians don’t believe him. But our reaction isn’t to get angry or holler insults back. Most Canadians are free traders. And we generally think we are fair traders too. Above all else, we try to be open minded and pragmatic about our interests. If we need to give on something meaningful to Americans, we want something in return. We’ve no appetite for capitulation.

Canadians see the U.S. as a great market, but not our only market. We know prosperity depends on selling what we mine, invent, make or grow all around the world. We’ve learned how to build relationships. We know the value of patience and fair minded negotiation. Canadians know how much we need to sell to the world, even if many Americans think serving global markets is a “nice to have,” not a “need to have”.

Prime Minister Trudeau will feel plenty of heat to limit economic harm to Canada from Trump protectionism. But he’ll also be pushed hard to stand up for Canada—and if all else fails, to retaliate.

Here again, something might be different today.

In the past, diplomacy seemed like the only logical path forward. It didn’t always work perfectly, but it worked. But in a world where aggression is the new normal, Canada may need a more aggressive approach than we’ve been willing to consider in the past.

It was striking to see New York Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer, no friend of Donald Trump, endorse the President’s attack on Canada’s dairy policies. New York sells $12 billion worth of goods and services to Canada. Canadians visit New York more than five million times a year, spending $1.6 billion as tourists. If Senator Schumer feels no risk in taking a cheap shot at Canada, Canada must find a way to make him to think twice about that.

Florida matters in U.S. Presidential elections. It welcomes four million Canadian visits a year and about $5 billion in Canadian vacation spending. Did Trump Florida voters want him to poison the relationship with Canadians—over some $136 million in Canadian lumber that ends up in Florida construction?

And what of Wisconsin, supposedly the victim of Canada’s “disgusting” behaviour? Canada buys almost a third of what Wisconsin exports, more than $6.6 billion worth of goods and services to us. Just as a matter of business common sense, it shouldn’t feel risk-free to insult your biggest customer this way.

Trump spends a lot of time saying Americans should buy from Americans. He spends a lot of time saying the rest of the world should buy American too. Calling your biggest trading partner “disgusting” for taking lawful action to favour its domestic interests is—what’s a gentle word—hypocritical.

The other day I heard a commentator refer to a “Trump Doctrine,” arguing that the essence of the “doctrine” was unpredictability. To burnish what’s happening with such an impressive term has an “emperor’s clothes” feel to it. Sadly, on too many days, Trump seems unpredictable for sure—but unguided and unprincipled too.
    http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...ans-are-ready/

We ready.
    We calm.
    Bring it on.

Trump is a moron. Nobody should take him seriously. Hopefully impeached soon before he ruins everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    Trump is a moron. Nobody should take him seriously. Hopefully impeached soon before he ruins everything.
    It just gets worse after him.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

no one in canada hates trump, and we mostly dont even give a fuck about your elections.

look at the site with the other "articles" they got

"how will Trudeau deal with american problem" wut?

Location:You wish you lived here? dont speak for any Canadian person, you come off as a fake Canadian with something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^^ Lol Dude. There are 35 million plus Canadians. Don't put us all in a box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav View Post
    no one in canada hates trump, and we mostly dont even give a fuck about your elections.

look at the site with the other "articles" they got

"how will Trudeau deal with american problem" wut?

Location:You wish you lived here? dont speak for any Canadian person, you come off as a fake Canadian with something like that.
    Tennisface feigns moral outrage on all kinds of things to satisfy his/her chronic narcissism.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    And the US subsidizes dairy. So what?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

If push comes to shove, just have Trudeau call Trump. He already backs off every time he has a conversation with a leader of another nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Tennisface feigns moral outrage on all kinds of things to satisfy his/her chronic narcissism.
    the offtopic forums here are pretty crazy, i should stick to wow atleast the flame there isnt political.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    ^^ Lol Dude. There are 35 million plus Canadians. Don't put us all in a box.
    I've got to admit, I never realized how insiginificant your population is.

Speaking as a Canadian, I'm hoping that President Trump does try to renegotiate NAFTA.

For one thing, it wasn't great to begin with. But more importantly, he seems so bad at looking out for the best interests of America, a renegotiated deal will almost certainly be better for Canada. President Trump will most likely take a less favorable deal, just so he can claim he made a deal. It's not like his supporters will have any problems with that. Everybody wins.

Well, except Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I've got to admit, I never realized how insiginificant your population is.
    A lot of our babies are eaten by moose during the rutting season.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    And the US subsidizes dairy. So what?
    We are not the ones throttling out articles that say:

Most Canadians are free traders.
    And then be outraged about being the target of duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    A lot of our babies are eaten by moose during the rutting season.
    I feared that they don't make in the spring to autum seasons when you can't drive over the lakes to reach distant communities. I'm relieved, but I still hope you have that figured out as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    and of all else fails, to retaliate
    oh wow, what a laugh. Whats canada going to retsliate with, maple syrup embargo?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No body messes with the Royal Canadian Mounted forces!

Eh!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    If push comes to shove, just have Trudeau call Trump. He already backs off every time he has a conversation with a leader of another nation.
    Because Trudeau is so intimidating

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    oh wow, what a laugh. Whats canada going to retsliate with, maple syrup embargo?
    I don't know if you're that up on Canada/US trade relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Because Trudeau is so intimidating
    Sorry, I misspoke. He already backed off after talking with Trudeau and Pena Nieto.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2017-04-30 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    We are not the ones throttling out articles that say:

And then be outraged about being the target of duties.
    What's so surprising that someone in support of free trade is upset about tariffs?

And no, you just throw out articles about how horrible Canada is for some of their protectionist policies, while have a president that pretty much campaigned solely on protectionist policies.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)