Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I stopped reading after the 3 book, is the rest of the series a worthwhile read or?
    In short?: yes.

It's been a while since I've consumed it, but I went away with a feeling of "yeah, that was good.", so I'd recommend it. I do know that the ending left me thinking "meh", and was pretty damn anti-climactic for all the build-up, but the journey was well worth the read, since I personally enjoy overly-detailed descriptions of the environment and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    pretty much none of what you said is true.
    What is not true? Isn't the protagonist the reincarnation of a badass from ages past who can shoot a special, God-only kind of lightning, called "True Source"? Does he sleep with 1 woman only? Which of the characters doesn't have ridiculous superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    At least the script won't be ruined by Jordan's horrible writing, she said to the wool-headed fool, tugging on her braid.
    Let me guess, you're a huge R.A. Salvatore fan?

OT: I don't have very high hopes for any book to tv translations. GoT only worked because HBO specifically wanted the raunchy bits and high drama - WoT doesn't have any of that to draw in the peasants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What is not true? Isn't the protagonist the reincarnation of a badass from ages past who can shoot a special, God-only kind of lightning, called "True Source"? Does he sleep with 1 woman only? Which of the characters doesn't have ridiculous superpowers?
    No it's not a special God only kind of lightning. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. The true source is a lot more complicated than that.

You said he slept with 3 women at the same time. That is also not true. He slept with 3 women at different times.

As for "super powers" rediculous is subjective but you tied that to the Lightning out of the ass saying that they all have that power. That's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    You've obviously either never read the books or you have 0 reading comprehension because pretty much none of what you said is true.
    Of course he hasn't read the book...
    He'll keep posting his ignorant shit of how he hates...whatever for the simple reason that it was produced in the US.

Then again, he's never said of what he thinks is actually good anywhere else...so maybe he just hates books altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post

I hope it's better than this one...
    Hmm...while that wasn't absolutely terrible, it definitely missed the mark. It felt more like a fan-made tribute than anything else.

Honestly, I don't think that anything less than the production quality of "Game of Thrones" is going to do the Wheel of Time justice. I just don't see any way to do the scenes involving the One Power without a really high special effects budget. Because if they skimp on that it's going to result in a very poor presentation.

There's just so many ways they can screw this series up. What about the Ogier and Trollocs? Are they going to just try and pass off really tall dudes in costumes? How about the way the Faceless move? And the fight choreography will have to be top notch in order to really display the skill of Wardens and other blademasters.

I could go on, but you guys get the point. In a lot of ways they'd almost be better off doing this series in full CGI or animation.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fanfic is a very low quality writing with few original ideas, producing such examples of Mary-sues and cardboard everything.
    His world is just a normal world, with normal humans, animals and plants. Like Martin, the ridiculousness comes from his ignorance about our world.
    All of the characters are Mary-sues from Bumfuck, Nowhere who can shoot lightnings from their asses. One or two of them would be just funny, but not every damned one, that's ridiculous.
    ya no that's not what fanfic is.

i'm gonna guess you didn't read the books at all because no its not just the a normal world in any sense it doesn't just have normal humans animal or plants not by a mile.

ya you don't understand what a mary-sue is almost every character took multiple books to build into anything of note not a one of them came out shooting lighting out of there asses.

Yes the protagonist is a reincarnation of a hero of source who was almost Jesus in the universe... was also the equivalent of some sort of fallen devil cause of #plot... also he's not the only person to take multiple spins on the wheel of time.

Yes he sleeps around and they couldn't have him settle down with just one girl... I think he was after like 5 girls but wound up getting 3. Yes it's a bit of a harem and some people just don't like that but hey so much other things to get morally hung up on than just one guy getting a bunch of girls. Also I think you mean something else besides just having sex with girls as part of this gripe.

And yes there are a lot of 'super powered' characters. A lot of secondary characters like Thom Merrilin who really just had minor plot related luck to not get cast out of the story within a chapter.

I agree with most things said. The early books were really good, the middle ones were pretty dry, and Sanderson did fine imo.

I don't think that WoT lends itself to TV as well as GoT did though. It's just a lot of fantasy... which doesn't seem to translate very good.

GoT really only had the dragons and the White Walkers as main Fantasy stuff. There was a lot of intrigue and other things going on. You could simply like that era, without liking fantasy, and still get into GoT. You could like politics and backstabbing. You could like the movie Gladiator and get into GoT. Hell, you could just like boobs and find enough brothels to keep you entertained.

It's a lot easier to translate that typs of "mundane" stuff to the big screen. Magic and other types of fantasy setting don't usually do as well.

Most of the plot of WoT is pretty whimsical.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do... with very reserved enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2017-05-01 at 02:34 AM.

It's not my fault that the most US authors' medieval knowledge was mostly taken from The Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
    medieval knowledge? i hope you do realize it is a fantasy series.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    ya you don't understand what a mary-sue is almost every character took multiple books to build into anything of note not a one of them came out shooting lighting out of there asses.
    To be fair.... the Ta'veren idea basically is plot armor so I can let the mary-sue idea slide a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I just don't see any way to do the scenes involving the One Power without a really high special effects budget.
    The WoT magic is conveniently invisible, so it can be done with pyrotechnics, fans, and plastic wrap.

I recall this fan-made trailer for Towers of Midnight (SPOILER ALERT)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0NzOXEg

- - - Updated - - -

The WoT magic is conveniently invisible, so it can be done with pyrotechnics, fans, and plastic wrap.
    And again the question, what books would you think good to read?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    To be fair.... the Ta'veren idea basically is plot armor so I can let the mary-sue idea slide a little.
    plot armor it self is a stupid idea bad things happen to all of the main characters. every main character in every thing has plot armor unless they magically lose it and die at the end of the story. lord of the rings harry potter every single one all of the main characters have plot Armour unless they need to magically lose it to die.

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkerr View Post
    i hope you do realize it is a fantasy series.
    Fantasy worlds are usually populated with real humans, horses, dogs, chicken, trees, wheat, maize, etc. etc. They cannot be different from our world, and if something makes no sense in our world, it is also out of place in a fantasy setting. As soon as you introduce the human race, it limits your fantasy. Even earlier authors realized that and used humans-but-not-humans to circumvent this.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    ya you don't understand what a mary-sue is almost every character took multiple books to build into anything
    The protagonist is conveniently a descendant of Andor royal family and a founding father of the entire Aiel nation. But he's not a Mary Sue. OK.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fantasy worlds are usually populated with real humans, horses, dogs, chicken, trees, wheat, maize, etc. etc. They cannot be different from our world, and if something makes no sense in our world, it is also out of place in a fantasy setting. As soon as you introduce the human race, it limits your fantasy. Even earlier authors realized that and used humans-but-not-humans to circumvent this.

The protagonist is conveniently a descendant of Andor royal family and a founding father of the entire Aiel nation. But he's not a Mary Sue. OK.
    that's not relevant to 90% of the story so id say no.

Fantasy worlds are usually populated with real humans, horses, dogs, chicken, trees, wheat, maize, etc. etc. They cannot be different from our world, and if something makes no sense in our world, it is also out of place in a fantasy setting. As soon as you introduce the human race, it limits your fantasy. Even earlier authors realized that and used humans-but-not-humans to circumvent this. The protagonist is conveniently a descendant of Andor royal family and a founding father of the entire Aiel nation. But he's not a Mary Sue. OK.
    Since you refuse to answer my question and instead insist on shit-posting then perhaps you should leave the thread.

I think you're grossly mistaken on this part.

I'm fairly certain that Rand was physically the son of random Aiel and raised in the boonies of Andor by a guy who just happened to be a foot soldier at one point. He is also the reincarnation of the assumed most powerful 'Aes Sedai' of his age... an era he lived and died in that occurred a millenia prior to the founding of the country.

As for a founding father of aiel? more like the aiel had ties to aes sedai and prior to the breaking the aiel had a servant role towards aes sedai cause of reasons....

what the fuck were you reading? We got some Rashomon shit going on?

edit:

it's been more than a few years since I read the series, but I don't recall any of the central characters being THAT much mary sue. Well Matt was basically a every greatest general and tactician to ever live but... yeah.... oh and the never really panned out storyline where the other small town boy basically turned into a god who denied established "rock falls everyone dies" shit.

edit2:

PS the genre's call fantasy you mioptic manatee. It's not meant to be realisitic.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2017-05-01 at 03:37 AM.

I hope it's done well

Eh...mostly. Except all those times people are shooting fire, creating swords made out of pure energy, opening gateways, firing Kamehameha waves at people, creating lightning strikes from thin air, making random rocks explode, and otherwise screwing around with reality.

Also there's all those scenes where Jordan describes the different weaves that go into making effects. I mean...I guess they could just pretend the one-power works like The Force, and stuff just sorta happens. But that would be boring.

And lets not forget EVERY scene where people cross over into the dream-realm(Tel'aran'Rhiad or whatever. I CBF to look up the proper spelling).
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-05-01 at 03:46 AM.