Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    I mean if being a mediocre student and getting suspended a few times is a strike against Trayvon, you'd think Tyson's past would raise some flags with you too.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'm not quite sure how honorary degrees are supposed to work, but I had the impression they were given out to people who had accomplished something. This guy was an average student, who iirc was suspended several times (destruction of property, suspicion of theft, etc.) and then got shot in a fight. It seems clear that the degree has nothing to do with his accomplishments and everything to do with politics and publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Mike Tyson have a lot of accomplishments behind him. Giving it to Kermit the frog is also ridiculous.
    The situation isn't remotely the same.

Give me a break This is virtue signalling at it's lowest.
    Last edited by Seani; 2017-05-04 at 09:29 PM.

I'm sure all the students who actually worked to attain a degree from that institution are just crazy about this....

10+ Year Old Account
    So now his wiki page can say: UF graduate shot dead by Zimmerman...

I understand this is an opportunity for the school to make money. Which is likely all that they care about.

It's an honorary degree, Jermey Clarkson I think has an honorary degree, at least he talks about it every chance he gets.

It's not like Treyvon is going to be applying for a job at NASA with it...
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    It's an honorary degree, Jermey Clarkson I think has an honorary degree, at least he talks about it every chance he gets.

It's not like he is going to be applying for a job at NASA with it...
    It's also a very opportunistic gesture for the school to capitalize on the Martin family book tour, and racial tension in the US.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Mike Tyson and Kermit the Frog have honorary degrees.
    I could see Tyson getting one in physics. Specifically physics as it relates to injuries and/or head trauma.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    It's also a very opportunistic gesture for the school to capitalize on the Martin family book tour, and racial tension in the US.
    the mom, Tracy Martin is an alumni of the school.

If it upsets you so much, don't go to that school... you know free market principles n' such
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki Treehorn View Post
    The kid who was suspended three times from high school, for skipping class, "suspected" drug use, and in possession of stolen jewelry was certainly on the fast track to a college degree, and not prison in four years.
    Holy shit how pathetic. Who thinks this thug actually would have gotten a degree?

If it upsets you so much, don't go to that school... you know free market principles n' such
    Except that they are subsidized by the State so my tax dollars go toward the school. The majority of people on a liberal forum don't agree with you here which is saying something.

Deleted
    Yeah Boy show em what you got

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I suppose he might of been high at the time he attacked Zimmerman.

Fits IMHO.

Except that they are subsidized by the State so my tax dollars go toward the school. The majority of people on a liberal forum don't agree with you here which is saying something.
    what does your tax dollars have to do with a university giving an honorary degree? Want the .000000001cent for the piece of paper and ink?

As appealing as your reasoning of "everyone else has this opinion so you should too" is; I'm gonna have to go ahead and form my own on this one.

Also, I never mentioned Trayvon Martin or his mother. I just said the school is capitalizing on this arrangement, how do you argue with that?

- - - Updated - - -

what does your tax dollars have to do with a university giving an honorary degree? Want the .000000001cent for the piece of paper and ink?

As appealing as your reasoning of "everyone else has this opinion so you should too" is; I'm gonna have to go ahead and form my own on this one.
    It is the concept or principle of a public school versus a private school. A very small percentage of academic elites want this for the school, and the majority of taxpayers don't.
    Last edited by Seani; 2017-05-04 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the people who say: who does this hurt? It hurt the people that worked hard for that paper. Giving it left and right for nothing diminishes their achievement.

Also, I never mentioned Trayvon Martin or his mother. I just said the school is capitalizing on this arrangement, how do you argue with that?

- - - Updated - - -

When you start paying for taxes it will matter to you.
    ... wut? it's a fact relevant to the story... the literal story that this thread is about.

- - - Updated - - -

When you start paying for taxes it will matter to you.
    oh cute, a snide "he doesn't work because he has X opinion on a gaming forum" remark. okay then.

... wut? it's a fact relevant to the story... the literal story that this thread is about.

- - - Updated - - -

oh cute, a snide "he doesn't work because he has X opinion on a gaming forum" remark. okay then.
    I think it's true though isn't it

I think it's true though isn't it
    no, but I can tell you're super agonizing over the fraction of a penny this is costing you.

- - - Updated - - -

You assuming something based on your preexisting supposition is as much a logical fallacy as what you accuse me of. See Straw-man fallacy.

- - - Updated - - -

no, but I can tell you're super agonizing over the fraction of a penny this is costing you.
    It's just an example of academia spending tax dollars on things that the vast majority of us don't want. Or things that to a logical person seem ridiculous.
    Last edited by Seani; 2017-05-04 at 11:39 PM.