Scientists Just Surgically Removed HIV DNA From Live Animals

https://futurism.com/scientists-just...-live-animals/
    Recent estimates by the United Nations say as many as 36.7 million people worldwide are known to have HIV. Of these, roughly 1.2 million people are in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These alarming numbers actually grow every year, and adequate treatment — let alone a cure — still seems a long way off. One of the major reasons that’s so is because HIV as a disease is something of a tough nut to crack: the virus is capable of hiding itself in latent reservoirs, making it extremely difficult for a permanent cure to be developed.

There’s a glimmer of hope, though: scientists at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University (LKSOM) and the University of Pittsburgh published a study in the journal Molecular Therapy showing it’s possible to surgically remove HIV DNA from a living animal genome. This is the first time that such a method was demonstrated to be possible, and it could increase the chances of eliminating HIV infection.

The secret is in CRISPR/Cas9, the world’s most efficient and effective gene editing tool, which made it possible to delete targeted HIV-1 fragments from the infected animal tissue genome. “CRISPR-associated protein 9 (Cas9)-mediated genome editing provides a promising cure for HIV-1/AIDS,” the study’s abstract notes. This research built on a proof-of-concept study that the same team of researchers conducted last year.

“Our new study is more comprehensive,” LKSOM’s Wenhui Hu explained. “We confirmed the data from our previous work and have improved the efficiency of our gene editing strategy. We also show that the strategy is effective in two additional mouse models, one representing acute infection in mouse cells and the other representing chronic, or latent, infection in human cells.”
    I think it's inevitable that gene editing will allow us to eliminate most viruses some point in the future.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only question the title. as at least with medicine, surgically tends to mean guy/gal with scalpel, not precise genetic engineering. also, their gene editor is named crisper, heh.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

15+ Year Old Account
    Surgically removing DNA from live animals... right....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Not sure if surgically removing is the correct way to describe it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Not sure if surgically removing is the correct way to describe it.
    It most definitely isn't.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It most definitely isn't.
    then how would you discribe it?
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    This is good....and umm.....well foreboding for the future.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    ......chemically?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    ......chemically?
    Not really. they are using another virus as vector to alter existing genes.

here's a diffrent source (with the original research papers as source)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0501112514.htm

and ehre's the original article

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...25001617301107
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

15+ Year Old Account
    Well at least there isn't physical cutting happening.

Was listening to a science podcast and they said that all these medical studies using mice are highly questionable at best. Turns out that mice aren't very much like humans at all and mouse studies won't correlate to actual human results often times.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    Viral genome editing, because that's what it is. It's not remotely close to surgery, and "chemically," as a poster said, is way closer to the actuality than surgery, because it's a chemical process, not a process that involves physical cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Was listening to a science podcast and they said that all these medical studies using mice are highly questionable at best. Turns out that mice aren't very much like humans at all and mouse studies won't correlate to actual human results often times.
    Learn what you're talking about before commenting on stuff like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically they use RNA to seek out a particular genetic sequence, then use an enzyme to snip out that DNA and replace it with whatever particular DNA they prefer.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    So super excited. I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I would love to see it just...ripped out. Goodbye. Gone. Say goodbye to the harsh medications!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So super excited. I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I would love to see it just...ripped out. Goodbye. Gone. Say goodbye to the harsh medications!
    That and the financial burden it is. Much as I have concerns for the future of this medical technique, HIV being gone is still a good thing.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Very sorry to hear that, though I expect you are sick of hearing people say that.
    Saying that doesn't help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Keep kicking ass researchers!
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Sorry to hear about that man. Hopefully research like this will lead to a permanent cure for HIV/AIDS.

The biggest problem now is the fact that this treatment(assuming it works on humans) is most probably going to cost millions in your lifetime.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone linked this in a thread about babies or something a few days or a week ago:

Pretty amazing technology.