Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Trump praises universal health care in Australia

As President Donald Trump met with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in New York on Thursday, he voiced his optimism about the American Health Care Act.

“It’s a very good bill right now, the premiums are going to come down very substantially, the deductibles are going to come down,” said Trump in a press conference with Turnbull. “It’s going to be fantastic health care. Right now, Obamacare is failing.”

The next comment Trump made; however, drew amusement from Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont during an interview on MSNBC’s “All in with Chris Hayes.”

“I shouldn’t say this to our great gentlemen and my friend from Australia … cause you have better healthcare than we do.”

Australia’s publicly funded healthcare system is administered by the federal government.

“Wait a minute … the president has just said it,” Sanders exclaimed as he erupted in laughter. “Let’s take a look at the Australian healthcare system. And let’s move — maybe he wants to take a look at the Canadian system or systems throughout Europe. Thank you, Mr. President.”

“Let us move to a Medicare-for-all system that does what every other major country on the earth does — guaranteed healthcare to all people at a fraction of the cost per capita that we spend.

“Thank you Mr. President, we’ll quote you on the floor of the Senate,” said Sanders.

The AHCA barely passed through the House on a 217-to-213 party-line vote on Thursday, and is expected to go through an overhaul process in the Senate.

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...Tc7fAFo3Wrg.99
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...17-5?r=US&IR=T

Related: Bernie Sanders pisses himself laughing. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

eh, it was probably meaningless. he's probably just mindlessly complimenting to get on the dude's good side, make him more malleable. typical salesman shit.

Does Trump even know what's in Trumpcare? Maybe he thinks Trumpcare is like Australia's. Someone should go tell him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Does Trump even know what's in Trumpcare? Maybe he thinks Trumpcare is like Australia's. Someone should go tell him.
    if he thought it was full of unicorns and rainbows I legit would not be surprised.

Why wouldn't he? The dude secretly supports universal healthcare. Just look at his previous statements in books and interviews. There seems to be a big difference (in some ways anyway) between the real guy and the crazy nutjob guy he portrays to get Republicans to like him.

And the irony is the current party want to drive Australia to a more Americanized system.

Completely insufferable fucker
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    And the irony is the current party want to drive Australia to a more Americanized system.
    How are they in power if they have such blatant disregard for the citizens of their country?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has praised President Donald Trump for winning a vote that marks a major step towards dismantling Obamacare.

Mr Turnbull began his remarks at a commemoration dinner marking the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea by congratulating the president on his bid to roll back Barack Obama's signature health care law that aims to provide affordable health care.

"Well done, congratulations," Mr Turnbull said.

"It's always good to win a vote in the Congress, or the parliament as we call it," he said.

"I got to say, it's always satisfying to win a vote when people predict you’re not going to win it too.

"So keep at it, it's great.

But moments before Mr Turnbull’s remarks, Mr Trump praised Australia for having a better health care system than the United States.
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...peal-obamacare

I mean... so they'd like to swap?

But please god don't.

- - - Updated - - -

How are they in power if they have such blatant disregard for the citizens of their country?
    They're mostly content to nibble at the edges, Australia got used to the idea that healthcare is politically unrepealable decades ago. Something America is painfully learning right now.

But as to why they're in power... trust me you don't want to know.

The common Australian doesn't give two shits about politics and hence got the leaders they deserve.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They're mostly content to nibble at the edges, Australia got used to the idea that healthcare is politically unrepealable decades ago. Something America is painfully learning right now.

But as to why they're in power... trust me you don't want to know.
    I can see it being a hard sell to tell people to go die or shell out hundreds of dollars a month on health insurance in order to repeal universal healthcare.

They want to cut the costs. The biggest been put out a tendor to private companies to write software system to house records and make the billing process ip to date.....no party in tgeir right mind would kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    The common Australian doesn't give two shits about politics and hence got the leaders they deserve.
    It's more the fact we have two dominant parties to pick from and both parties are pretty similar on their policies.

Kind of makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3iyvbsRDM

But the real truth is Australians vote to punish. The ALP pissed us off so we punish them by voting in the LNP. Then once they have pissed us off enough we'll vote the ALP back in again and around the meri-go-round we go.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    It's more the fact we have two dominant parties to pick from and both parties are pretty similar on their policies.

But the real truth is Australians vote to punish. The ALP pissed us off so we punish them by voting in the LNP. Then once they have pissed us off enough we'll vote the ALP back in again and around the meri-go-round we go.
    Sounds a lot like US politics.

Americans vote based on catchy slogans and good soundbites. The Aussie system sounds vindictive and childish but don't kid yourself into thinking the average American hasreached that level of sophistication yet.

Ahhh he's so confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    This also is true.

Less slick, less fanfare, and a lot more people geniunely giving no shits.

Oh and voting is mandatory. Otherwise nobody would.

Australians like voting for right-wing hacks that chip away at their healthcare with thousands of little cuts.

It's not being publicly hauled out and shot in the head, which is what Trump wants to do to the ACA, it's just suffering death by a thousand cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post

Labor created the fiber NBN, saved the economy with stimulus, introduced a carbon tax, increased funding the health and education, wants to tax the rich and reduce negative gearing.

The LNP destroyed the fiber NBN, lied about a budget emergency and tried mass austerity, sapped the carbon tax in favor of paying polluters with government money, slashed funding for health and education, gave a $50B tax cut to the rich, wants to leave negative gearing tax benefit unchanged.

Yeah totally the same. Like Trump and Clinton are the same. She would have done a Muslim ban and destroyed ACA and ripped healthcare from 24M people too!

Hey look at that, he said something about healthcare I agree with for once, well other than Obamacare sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...17-5?r=US&IR=T

Related: Bernie Sanders pisses himself laughing. Again.

It's also worth noting that while Trump is celebrating the first step towards 24M people having their health insurance ripped away and ending ACA's protections that prevented insurers from price-discriminating based on pre-existing conditions, in Australia, it is illegal to price-discriminate based on pre-existing conditions.

In Australia, exactly like it is under the ACA, health insurers must provide insurance to anyone who chooses to sign up (guaranteed issue) and must charge everyone the same price regardless of pre-existing conditions (community rating).

So Trump really is a clueless hypocrite. He doesn't give a shit about the tens of thousands of people each year he is trying to send to death by Trumpcare.