Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Another thing: there was no flight controversy before they disabled it. There were a few people on forums saying they wished it was gone but it was largely viewed the same way as people who wished raids still had attunements and whatever.

Blizz's decision to disable it totally fractured the community. We've been arguing about it for 3 years. On that basis alone it was a terrible mistake, introducing huge negativity into the game where it didn't need to be there.

On that basis alone I'd say the decision to remove flight was an enormous mistake.
    I think the last time this game had flying controversy was back when Blizzard was deciding to put flying in the Blood Elf and Draenei starting zones lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Probably not, we only update character data weekly. We just use the lastModified time, which is the last time their profile was updated. This is usually triggered by the character logging in and out.
    Yeah it's probably more work than it's worth for the stuff you want to do but updating nightly and adding some logic o compare lastModified timestamps and then slicing the data by number off unique login/outs would be interesting. Still not perfect and a lot of people log in and out bouncing between alts.. so you'd have to exclude lastModifed that was closer in time than N minutes and... yeah.

This is easily explained. People want flying yes, but not 8+ months after the expansions launch and not gated behind a bunch of junk most people didn't want to do from day 1. Blizzard however will take this as "See nobody really wants flying" and will not put flying in the following expansion. This is why I quit wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I missed it on the launcher but that's good if it was there.

I doubt there is malicious intend to discourage with it. If Blizzard really didn't want flying, they wouldn't have implemented it in Legion at all.
    I don't think there's intent to hide it, but this is the problem with having the activities be unrelated to the reward. Nothing about any of the Pathfinder activities is related to my ability to fly. Explorer is slightly related to the fact that I've been around the place but even that doesn't bear on the reason I can't fly. All they need to do to make this better is to create a mildly plausible in-world reason we cannot fly, create an achievement whose steps are related to that ("Fel Destabilizers make you unable to fly! You need to destroy those and blah blah blah... ") make it a nice long chain that takes the first patch and then boom I can fly. There's ZERO need for the part two bullshit. For people like you who don't care, you're no hurt.

But they're far too stubborn about it and seem attached to things that slow me in game and make me play longer. Hence, although I got flight, I no longer play because I've to nothing I really want to do in game, my friends mostly aren't playing and I'm tired of the blatant stringing out of content and capabilities just to keep people subbed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amishjello View Post
    Suramar is a bitch, That's why.
    This is pretty much it for me. Suramar never ended. It was better just to quit the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got my wings today. I think it's fairly easily doable (apart from Suramar, Suramar sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I missed it on the launcher but that's good if it was there.

I doubt there is malicious intend to discourage with it. If Blizzard really didn't want flying, they wouldn't have implemented it in Legion at all. I think they know they've already opened pandoras box with implementing it to begin, and they can't go back now that they know that it is an issue many people care strongly about.

Historically, I feel like Blizzard has never been particularly good at making things obvious in-game. I don't think it's nefarious on their part; I think they just haven't come up with a good way to do things (or it didn't occur to them). I have told the story here a few times about how I bought my father WoW to play in classic and after an exhaustive rundown of everything I thought he'd need to know, I checked back with him later when he was around level 40 and (a) he had selected no talents because he was not aware that talents were a thing (b) he was wearing white vendor gear rather than magic stuff with stats because "it had more armor" which he thought was the most important thing since it kept him alive. I've always been a person who read shit outside of the game, so I don't think it really occurred to me until that moment how big the divide is between the players I interact with (who read third party sites and research the game) and casual folks like him whose relationship with WoW exists entirely between opening and closing the client.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I think Blizzard being not particularly clear in this area is just because they've never been able to find a good way to be clear. Some things are hard to display or state in an obvious fashion without it disrupting the fantasy of the game (maybe it is worth that, but that's a debate for another time I suppose). I highly doubt there's some guy there cackling and tenting his fingers and saying, "let's put it on the launcher but be vague so less people figure out how to fly!"
    Hmm...I mean...part of what you're saying is true. But the entire way that they've approached the issue of flying has been ham-fisted, deceptive, and about as non-transparent as possible. While that might not be because of some active attempt to spike the wheel, it's pretty clear that the leadership of WoW's design team has a very distinct disregard for anything to do with flying.

You say they haven't found a very good way to be clear? How about a damn popup quest with orange ! that leads players into tasks that are part of the epic quest? Was there ANYONE in MoP or WoD that missed starting the epic quests in those expansions? I mean, come on. Back in WoD they released info about flying everywhere BUT the blizzard site and forums. That's above and beyond incompetence.

Deleted
    I didn't even work for it and I still got it, I just played the game how I usually do... but I do have to admit that I am a bit shocked by the anti-flying people that i've encountered so far, not because they don't like flying but because they want to force their playstyle on us.

Pro-Flying people: Put it in as a reward while designing the world for ground mounts so in the end everyone will be happy as you can still use your ground mount to get around.

Anti-Flying: GNARF, WORLD PVP RUINED (Nice argument for PVE servers), YOU TAKE MY FUN AWAY IF YOU FLY, I AM FORCED TO USE MY FLYING MOUNT TO GET AROUND.

Seriously, can't you people just not cry about it and continue using your ground mounts? no one is forcing you to fly if it ruins your immersion.

Some of those are people that have just returned to game. In our guild we recently picked up several players that did not play during 7.0 or 7.1

We have others that have been working so much that they have not had a chance to complete Part II.

I'd say that some of those in those statistics also don't care about flying.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yeah it's probably more work than it's worth for the stuff you want to do but updating nightly and adding some logic o compare lastModified timestamps and then slicing the data by number off unique login/outs would be interesting. Still not perfect and a lot of people log in and out bouncing between alts.. so you'd have to exclude lastModifed that was closer in time than N minutes and... yeah.
    Don't have the capacity to update characters daily, API access is rate limited, the current code/hardware/bandwidth used on my end may not support updating so many either. We could look at their recent activity, but that isn't really an accurate indicator of actually playing either.

Quote Originally Posted by phillu View Post
    Wrong, finished my Shaman Campaign without doing 1 quest.
    What the fuck are you talking about?
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Why do you think that is?
    Legion flying is an even bigger disaster than WoD flying. I honestly thought they would have learned from its failure in WoD, but clearly not. Ion even said in a recent interview he's happy with how Pathfinder worked out with Legion. That boggles the mind. It sounds absurd, but I'm starting to think the devs want WoW to die, and are subtly killing it purposefully.

When I leveled in WoD I didn't know that loremaster was going to be required so I paid no attention to it. I didn't get a single zone achieve. I also did a lot of dungeons because I get incredibly bored questing. So Loremaster was a giant undertaking for me, took something like 10 hours of grinding with wowhead open to tell me where to go.

I'm sure there are people who have the same problem in legion and don't even know about wowhead. For me personally, I was angry about getting burned so I leveled in legion with wowhead open to make sure I got the zones done. It made the leveling a lot worse - lot of alt tabbing and typing tomtom coords, didn't feel like I could take a break and go into dungeons - but I got it.

That's also kind of the problem I have with flying and world content in general. It's too rewarding and very hard to ignore if you don't like it. Not doing emissaries left me miles behind on legendaries despite the fact that I was playing just as much just doing other, more interesting content. It also meant I had no order resources to get the garrison up and running, and meant that I couldn't fly. The effect of all these policies is just pushing people who don't like world content to do more of it. The people who do like it were already getting loremaster, etc.
    If you don't like doing world content...why are you playing an MMO? Would you prefer having nothing to do outside of raids and dungeons besides running in circles around Dalaran?
    Beta Club Brosquad

Part 1 was easy. If you were playing the game it just came. People complain about the Suramar questline and rep, but that just came as what else was there to do early on?

I don't like the "farm new rep" with part 2 they are found of doing. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get Part 2 done as I hate farming rep and it just comes slow from 75 per world quest.

Flying has made the game SO much better for me. It is really about time and if I can save 30minutes a day due to flying, that means 30mins I can do something like level an alt, or farm tmog, etc.

Deleted
    I am the only one who did not struggle in Suramar? Except 1 or 2 WQ elitè (absolutely non mandatory)? I mean, reading this forum it seems like Suramar is the worst thing ever happened to humanity..... And cmon, it's so hard to dodge 2 stupid mobs with an eye on them? Well, it is if you actally don't care about the game and alt-tab every 2 second... but i have no pity for this kind of gamer.

The only reason why I dont have flying is bc im lazy as fuck to finish Good Suramaritarian
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Like flying in WoD: too tedious and too late in the Expac. Not bothering.
    To be fair, 5 months is not late. An expansion that age is still considered very new.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrados View Post
    I didn't even work for it and I still got it, I just played the game how I usually do... but I do have to admit that I am a bit shocked by the anti-flying people that i've encountered so far, not because they don't like flying but because they want to force their playstyle on us.

Pro-Flying people: Put it in as a reward while designing the world for ground mounts so in the end everyone will be happy as you can still use your ground mount to get around.

Anti-Flying: GNARF, WORLD PVP RUINED (Nice argument for PVE servers), YOU TAKE MY FUN AWAY IF YOU FLY, I AM FORCED TO USE MY FLYING MOUNT TO GET AROUND.

Seriously, can't you people just not cry about it and continue using your ground mounts? no one is forcing you to fly if it ruins your immersion.
    " GNARF!!!! "

hahaha....I love it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like flying, but I can't be bothered to do all the arbitrary completion nonsense required to unlock it. It should have been a training rank able to be purchased at 110. Same with WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    If you don't like doing world content...why are you playing an MMO? Would you prefer having nothing to do outside of raids and dungeons besides running in circles around Dalaran?
    Some people have been doing that since vanilla. Although, replace dalaran with your faction's capitol city. Surprisingly enough, different people play the game differently. Shocking, I know. -_-