Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you miss the pre Cata Zones?

I just flew through some old vanilla zones where i started this game 11 years ago and it just breaks my heart, like many times before, to see what blizzard did with the Cataclysm Expension to them.

I wish there was something like zoning for them...that the cataclysm would only take place at level 85
    Last edited by mmoc15f92c5277; 2017-05-09 at 11:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that Barrens and STV was some of the worst zones, I think everyone rejoice they were destroyed and remade..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    Yes, I particularly miss the original Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine Forrest, Tanaris and Barrens. With Cata changes I just lost the connection to large parts of the world that I used to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... For me... Give back Stonetalon Mountains, they've been ruined for the worst, the rest is okay.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    I just want old duskwood and stranglethorn back.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    not really, zones got improved with cataclysm alot imo
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I mostly would want back the eastern kingdoms as they were. Kalimdor on the other hand, has had massive improvements imo.

I have good memories from Vanilla, but that's just me discovering the game for the first time, if I started playing the game in cata I would have loved it even more cuz they are objectively way better designed.

You're just sad you lost a part of your nostalgia, understandable, but these zones were shit and cata made them much better, sorry to tell you that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some zones were a pita to travel in and certain questchains were horrible, but when looking purely on how they looked like; yes please give us a way to visit them again.
    Flooding Thousand Needles, what were they thinking ?
    We've also had the post-Cataclysm zones for a longer period of time now compared to the original zones ...
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

10+ Year Old Account
    If there was ever a choice to (a keep the old world as it is or b) adapt it for flying I would in hindsight have chosen for option a.
    Flying in the Old World seemed like an awesome thing back then, but the sacrifice made was, in the end, not worth it. Would have rather kept it flight-free then.

I wish they would have just updated the zones and not tied it in with the Cataclysm. That means every time you level your character is starting 5 years ago, but then once you hit level 60 all of a sudden you're 10 years ago so you've gone back in time, and then you work your way to the present. It makes no sense.

Short answer, No.

Long answer, Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Not so sure about the zones, yes some of them definately albeit I have to think hard which of them, lol. I did like old STV and blasted lands but you don't spend very much time in each zone when leveling anymore so not too noticable.

I do miss/dislike a lot of the other changes that started with cata; the removal of class quests, the removal of most of the "travel across the world for a spoon then travel back for a knife" quests (the overt simplification of quests), and the trivialization of several group quests and tougher mobs. Certain areas and packs of mobs that could kill you when simply questing along.

In the interest of making this convenient and "streamlined" a lot of the "danger" and immersion was removed from the game, and that I miss dearly.
    Last edited by Perryn; 2017-05-09 at 01:07 PM.

Deleted
    I miss them, I really do. I think the whole revamp made the questing better but that feeling that the old zones had is gone and it makes me kind of sad. Thousand Needles was ruined in my opinion, I'd rather have the old one back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I mostly would want back the eastern kingdoms as they were. Kalimdor on the other hand, has had massive improvements imo.
    Speaking of Kalimdor....one of my favourite Zones was Darkshore...its a shadow of what it used to be back in vanilla

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure, sometimes I wish it was possible to visit the old world, for pure nostalgia reasons. Do I miss them for the gameplay? Not at all.

Yeah, this is something I bitch about on these forums a lot. The old Azeroth felt dangerous and unpredictable; there were mean elites at every level randomly in zones (looking at you, elite werewolves in Silverpine), group quests, etc. The world in a way felt...I don't know the best way to describe it, because "unplanned" or "unconnected" have negative connotations, but it didn't feel like everything fit too neatly together, and there were places like Alcaz (spelling?) island and other areas that weren't main quest hubs but fit into other stories. Everytime you walked into a zone, everything wasn't neatly explained to you, you had to work for it or be on the right questlines. Cata turned everything into an ezmode theme park experience with quest hubs and flight paths every five feet, removed group quests and a lot of the really cool old quests/questlines (hunter/priest quest, scepter of the shifting sand, etc.), and took most of the elites out so newbies wouldn't have to deal with any degree of difficulty at all on their way to max level. The current leveling game is a complete shit show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    I have good memories from Vanilla, but that's just me discovering the game for the first time, if I started playing the game in cata I would have loved it even more cuz they are objectively way better designed.

You're just sad you lost a part of your nostalgia, understandable, but these zones were shit and cata made them much better, sorry to tell you that.
    Exactly the opposite. Sounds like you didn't even play prior to Cata.

Nope, not at all. Pre-Cata zones were boring, had a terrible flow and just felt outdated. Granted, Cataclysm 1-60 content is now WAY outdated as well, but that wouldn't be remedied by giving us back the old shitty 1-60 stuff. I wish they'd revamp 1-60 again, make it deal with local threats, repair damage done by the Cataclysm (restore Thousand Needles to be free of water) and update EVERYTHING visually.

I missed a few of the zones for a time out of nostalgia, but having played through them again on certain types of servers, that nostalgia has been cured.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-05-09 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a few years after, yeah, I missed Auberdine, Thousand Needles, and a few other memorable locations more of nostalgia than anything else. It isn't like they were superior, it's just what I knew.