Poll: Crime or no crime?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Illegal in a misdemeanor/felony kind of way? No, not really. While cheaters do ruin the fun and enjoyment of games that's not tantamount to violence, larceny, or greater scope crime. There are typically systems in place to handle such individuals in any case - and if the developer of the game doesn't take an active hand in fixing the situation I would pursue a refund of money spent well before I would press charges of any kind against the cheaters themselves.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why? It's true. There are several things that do not infringe upon others rights that are punished.
    And your point is? How exactly do your form a claim for yourself upon that basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    And your point is?
    That something does not need to infringe upon others rights for it to be made a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    An aimbotter in a fps game that people paid for ruins the ability for honest players to enjoy the game when put against a cheater.

Do you think this should be punished with real-life penalties by the law? Seems like it needs to be cracked down on in online games.
    Problem occurs when you have players from different countries playing against each other. Cant make it worldwide illegal. /Thread

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Problem occurs when you have players from different countries playing against each other. Cant make it worldwide illegal. /Thread
    Exactly and I pretty much suspect that law enforcement agencies would just laugh in the face of those making these sorts of complaints about online game cheating.. When you consider that they have much more pressing matters to attend to such as murders, rape, drugs, organized crime and so on.. And as you said with people from all over the world are playing such games it would be nigh impossible anyway..

When you pay for an online video game you are paying for the service/access not any virtual property you get to keep. Everything you do/earn...etc is still property of the company that owns the game. The only thing you can truly lose to a cheater is enjoyment. Breaking the rules of a private establishment should not allow you to be arrested unless it is also against the law (like trespassing).
    Hurting some ones feelings is not against the law unless you can prove it as intentional infliction of emotional stress (pretty much harassment). But this has a multitude of requirements such as "acting recklessly". Which I don't have a clue how some one cheating on a game can be proven as acting recklessly. You also must suffer from EXTREME emotional distress to even want to make a claim like this and if losing a few matches of counter-strike makes you that upset you might have bigger problems.

TLDR: nope, nope and a side of nope unless some one is essentially harassing you online via in game tools enough to make you break down emotionally and mentally, legal action should not be justifiable from cheating in a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm just for perma-bans. No need to make it a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Exactly and I pretty much suspect that law enforcement agencies would just laugh in the face of those making these sorts of complaints about online game cheating.. When you consider that they have much more pressing matters to attend to such as murders, rape, drugs, organized crime and so on.. And as you said with people from all over the world are playing such games it would be nigh impossible anyway..
    "I'm sorry Sir, I cant look into your wife murder at the moment, I have to chase down a dirty aimbotter in Counterstrike"

Deleted
    Yes. Kill them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No. /10nosforyou

Prison time and, in worst and repeated offenses, death penalty.

Fo' sure, OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Prison time and, in worst and repeated offenses, death penalty.

Fo' sure, OP.
    You some kind of goddamn commieliberal? Death is too good for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose if it's multiplayer you could argue it spoils everyone else's paid experience for your own, and if money is involved you could measure nominal damages.

Usually would be seen more as a civil matter than a criminal one.

I think it makes more sense if cheaters could be sued by the game developer for monetary damages.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of crazy talk is this?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    How much illusioned must someone be to ask to make cheating computer games illegal?

No, it should only be sueable if it creates damage for the company that creates the game. As like selling bots and automatons would be against the TOS and create a lot of damage to the computer ingame economy and administration effort.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things i've seen on MMO-Champ forums, and thats saying something for these forums

7+ Year Old Account
    The big issue with making cheating in games illegal is it would in effect allow game companies to create laws. Because they're the ones who determine what cheating is. Things like bots are already illegal to sell (the company selling them is committing tortious interference). Someone who uses a bot isn't guilty of a crime, but they are violating the game's terms of use which can get them banned.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    people say "its just a game, why m@d"

well the company that made the damn game and poured money into it are suffering because some asshole decided to cheat and ruin it, you made the company lose money, you should be punished.

not prison, not death, but fined for the amount of damage you would/could have done.

fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It's already illegal: it's breaking the game's Terms of Service.

/thread
    Violating TOS is not a crime.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...s-court-rules/
    Last edited by prwraith; 2017-05-13 at 03:52 PM.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

No of course not. You don't punish someone by law if they get a red card during a real life sport, and in that case there may even by physical injury involved. That someone cheats and ruins your online games does not bring you any harm, only annoyance. It is up to the ones organizing the game (devs/mods) to punish the ones breaking the rules.