Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Do heroic only, raiding guilds exist?

Do guilds that clear heroic content and then stop without trying out mythic, exist?

if yes, how do they fare/manage and what is their philosophy for not trying out the hardest content?

If you mean guilds that actually are too good for heroic and steamroll it from week 1 or 2, but still dont do mythic, i dont think many if any exists.
    If you mean guilds that progress through heroic like a mythic guild would progress through mythic content, and when finally manages to clear heroic decides to not bother with mythic then yes those exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Essem View Post
    If you mean guilds that actually are too good for heroic and steamroll it from week 1 or 2, but still dont do mythic, i dont think many if any exists.
    If you mean guilds that progress through heroic like a mythic guild would progress through mythic content, and when finally manages to clear heroic decides to not bother with mythic then yes those exists.
    On low pop servers, what you described first totally exist. Few weeks to clear Heroic, not enough people to do Mythic. So they grind Heroic and never do Mythics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Are you really this delusional ? Of course they do .. heck I'm sure normal only guilds exist. My guild doesn't have a roster of 20 geared enough people that can commit to mythic raiding , so we mostly do heroic. We manage to kill the first 1-2 bosses in mythic normally with some pugs/ outside guild friends but that's about it. So thank god for m+. Cause we basically finished progression for this tier , m+ is a channel for us to have some challenging fun without needing 20 people. If mythic 10s were a thing , we'd be gladly doing them .

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

There are quire a few guilds of people who only clear heroic and do full quick clears, and are full of good players.

Basically with the mind set of they don't have the time, or want to spend the time on pushing mythic, but want to stay geared and raid.

A lot of people love raiding, but can only spare 1 night a week, so they do heroic.

Deleted
    I can weigh in on that as i manage one such guild in Darksorrow-EU , we have steadily cleared heroic content pretty fast and then stopped for the last 3 tiers , before that we would do some mythic raiding whilst collaborating with other such guilds . The reason why dont aim for higher is that irl gets in the way , the guild has been around since october 2005 , thats almost 12 years, many people have come and gone but the core has remained the same , for reference of how irl interferes , our main tank and one of our officers met online in the guild 11 years ago , they are on their 2nd kid now and yeah we take mandatory breaks mid-raid so she can put the kids to sleep and such and literally nobody minds , its just we are friends and family at this point and new people that come in (friends of friends etc) usually like it and merge nicely . We had one guy to started playing because one of the guildies poked him for over a year , he came he got gear really fast we well everything on farm then 1 month later he went onwards to a mythic guild (5/10M NH guild) , no hard feelings this has happened a lot before and we really dont mind at all , but the dude couldnt stand the people there , argueing about loot, going crazy over 1 extra trash pack pulled on accident stuff like that . He was back after 1 more month and all's good :P. Anyway hope i gave you a bit of insight on the heroic-only guilds concept.

Deleted
    Seen a few myself while recruiting for our guild, so there is atleast some of them :P

My guild was unintentionally a heroic only guild. We progressed through normal easily, hit heroic and took a few weeks to clear it all, then another week or so to have it nailed and call it on farm. That was EN. We tried going for mythic, but we didn't have the numbers, so our GM organised joint runs with another guild to make it up to 20. When that finally happened and we had enough people ToV was out, instead of wanting to do mythic EN, they decided to jump straight into hc ToV instead of doing any of normal. We got facestomped and spent the following weeks gearing in hc en and tov normal

Then nighthold hit, I think it took us 3 weeks to clear normal, star caller being the hardest encounter for us. Then we went hc (For the record I stopped at this point with them, they had a 400k minium dps to go in, I was doing 600 at the time, they benched me and took in someone else from the other guild who pulled 360k) They've taken about 7 weeks to get guldan down, and last week was when they got that kill. Now the GM has just announced since it's cleared the guild is taking a break until ToS launches.

Tbh that for me, was the last straw, I went back to my horde character whose in the best or 2nd best guild on the server, they cleared mythic guldan last week, I'm gearing my alt on their normal / hc runs, but have been told if I pull my weight in those I might get a trial one night so tempted to send my main over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    My guild was unintentionally a heroic only guild. We progressed through normal easily, hit heroic and took a few weeks to clear it all, then another week or so to have it nailed and call it on farm. That was EN. We tried going for mythic, but we didn't have the numbers, so our GM organised joint runs with another guild to make it up to 20. When that finally happened and we had enough people ToV was out, instead of wanting to do mythic EN, they decided to jump straight into hc ToV instead of doing any of normal. We got facestomped and spent the following weeks gearing in hc en and tov normal

Then nighthold hit, I think it took us 3 weeks to clear normal, star caller being the hardest encounter for us. Then we went hc (For the record I stopped at this point with them, they had a 400k minium dps to go in, I was doing 600 at the time, they benched me and took in someone else from the other guild who pulled 360k) They've taken about 7 weeks to get guldan down, and last week was when they got that kill. Now the GM has just announced since it's cleared the guild is taking a break until ToS launches.

Tbh that for me, was the last straw, I went back to my horde character whose in the best or 2nd best guild on the server, they cleared mythic guldan last week, I'm gearing my alt on their normal / hc runs, but have been told if I pull my weight in those I might get a trial one night so tempted to send my main over.
    Hahahaha. I am in a H only guild. Two reasons why, too hard to recruit and our guild is a mix of H and N level players. We wouldn't be able to carry and we don't want to replace. But you sound exactly like 10 players that I have kicked. We have had some people who could press their buttons in the right order better than others but that is all they focused on. Hard to get them to switch to adds, impossible to get them to do a mechanic, posting meters all the time when it's irrelevant. (Who cares who did what when we wiped?). Those types of players get benched (especially in this day and age) because of their terrible attitude and their refusal to go with the team plan. Did you get replaced by someone doing half your deeps? Think hard on this. There is a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Hahahaha. I am in a H only guild. Two reasons why, too hard to recruit and our guild is a mix of H and N level players. We wouldn't be able to carry and we don't want to replace. But you sound exactly like 10 players that I have kicked. We have had some people who could press their buttons in the right order better than others but that is all they focused on. Hard to get them to switch to adds, impossible to get them to do a mechanic, posting meters all the time when it's irrelevant. (Who cares who did what when we wiped?). Those types of players get benched (especially in this day and age) because of their terrible attitude and their refusal to go with the team plan. Did you get replaced by someone doing half your deeps? Think hard on this. There is a reason.
    Alrighty then, I gave a TLDR version,

I don't post meters, I keep en eye on the meters for own benefit, for example I should have been doing a bit more than I was.
    We're all casuals and we're a casual guild (I thought that pretty obvious from the time to clear I gave, which are pretty long compared to most), I'm not an elitist, I don't scorn people for doing anything wrong or pulling a lower DPS.
    Yes I know my rotation, yes I expect everyone in a heroic raid to know the same, yes I also expect mistakes to happen, missed CDs, pop to early on hc and the likes it happens.
    I don't know about your guild, but we didn't (don't) have a single person in the raid group who ignores mechanics, we decide what we're going to do, we pull. If it works great, if it doesn't we reflect and change. For example star caller was wiping us as I mentioned, so we kept our top two dps on him while the rest of us saved our CDs for the first add. It went down.
    As for a team player? I help out when I can from general discussions to bringing extra flasks and food for those who forget.
    As for my attitude, its completely calm and straight forward. I personally do not care if we spend the entire week wiping on the same boss. Frustrated if the same person gets hit by the same thing? Yes, but we make an effort to high light that and help them understand how to overcome it.

So being benched has absolutely 0 reason to do with my attitude or play style, I'm one of the most laid back guys on the team. We've got a few who have egos the size of Everest, for example one bloke likes to continually have his mic on open and does a over exaggerated sigh each time someone dies or we wipe. Another one gets sarcastic and is frankly a complete dick to a few people who play his class because he's doing better than them.

Yes, I'm annoyed at being benched when I more than make it past the minimum requirement, if I was benched to bring in a guildie, say a new trial member but he was sub par and needed gear, I wouldn't mind. If a raider had come back to the game and wanted to see the raid I wouldn't mind. If we had two many of the same class, I wouldn't mind. In my mind, in guild it doesn't matter what the reason for being benched is and I have 0 issue with that. My issue is being benched to bring in someone else, from another guild who can barley be arsed to sign up 50% of the time. Since this isn't the TLR version, this person just happens to have a family relation to the RL of the other guild, and that RL is raiding with us. You don't do that to your guild members, you especially don't do that (without blowing my own trumpet) to someone who has had your back since the first day in joining, from passing on loot to those who need it more to farming mats for hours so people could have free enchants and food to paying a full faction and server change to ensure a raid happened. Literally, brought my tank over for one night raid because the RL and GM we're getting shit because they had one tank and we're going to call it for a third time on the trot.

In a nut shell, I help out, I pull my weight and some backdoor deals have gone on which have resulted in me being shat on. And you know? I stayed, I went on the Saturday night runs on normal to help people get gear so they could join the HC team - regardless I didn't need any standard drops from there. Monday nights a group of us organize Mythic key stone and night bane runs to help people gear, again mostly raiders looking for upgrades (and people their mounts). Lastly, not as big of an effort as the other two, but when I get a free random hour here or there, I run either a EN normal / HC run to use up some BLP, usually I get about 5 raiders from the guild, who want to do it, but can't be arsed to set it up themselves. These are all things I don't have to do, but I do, because I enjoy spending time with people and I don't mind helping out, even when I'm not raiding for what ever reason.

However, as I said a final nail in the coffin is the attitude of "yea I got the kill now, we'll wait for ToS before carrying on" Notice I said I and not We. This is because I know from an officer the GM's had enough of the game and can't be arsed to play any more, but doesn't want to give up the position. The RL is more interested in playing HoTS and won't organize any run without the GM being in the group. I can be happy in a guild that only wants to do HC, it's fine. But this attitude sucks donkey dick, it's just pure selfishness, if they want to quit or go afk for a period to play other games, then they should be passing the reins on to one of the other current raiders who has the skill set to set up the raids, which we do have and are willing.

So you'll forgive me if I've hit the point of being done, but any sane person can only take so much. Maybe I should of worded my original post a bit better, in regards to this new guild, it was purely accidental I discovered I had an alt in there still, I got lucky to have a guild of that level that potentially are willing to give me a trial - tbh a trial that'll probably result in me not being up to scratch. If that wasn't an option I'd be looking into guilds on the same level as the current one I'm in, or close to it, even if it was just a HC one.

but to finish and be blunt - Don't you dare assume I'm one of the types of people you've described, pretty much everything you've described are attributes I despise in players usually because they have the piss poor, self inflated ego to go with it and usually have enough influence to cripple a guild if they throw a hissy fit

Maintaining a roster of 20 able people is way harder than killing the first bosses on mythic, so yes, these guilds exist and there are thousands of them.

the difficulties of raiding aren't the problem, it's the commitment you have to put in to be "good". which is horseshit too, if you have a team of 20 thats willing to focus for 6 hours a week, you could clear any raid on any difficulty.

but nooooo everyone wants a 2nd job that doesnt pay

OT: once a heroic guild gets to steamroll mode they probably just try mythic and see how far they can get, or just work on it at their own pace
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    We do. But just because we never got enough people to even go into Mythic. Something we did, when there was 10man Heroic but we are barred from now.

So not by choice but we are a heroic raid now.

inb4 someone saying "just recruit, or fusion, lol"

A lot of guilds don't set out to be hardcore mythic raiders, but eventually reach a point where they outgear heroic so it becomes natural to dabble in mythic toward the end of a patch. My guild is one of those. Finding the 20 is then the chore, but we can usually bring15-18 guildies and pug the last couple we need. For us it's not so much about aspirations as it is about what to do after clearing H for the week. I mean, we typically raid for 3 hours twice a week, and H now takes around 1.5 hours, so what else do we do?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Page of yawn
    Heroic has a 30 person limit, why would they bench someone doing 50% more dps than the minimum requirement? I mean, its mostly off topic but your whole story smells.

My Guild does this, we clear Heroic completely and stop because 20-Man Mythic screws a lot of low-medium pop servers. I believe we have 2-3 guilds total on our server-merge that have enough, and even then I see them recruiting for Mythic team frequently in Trade Chat.

Of course, before Mythic was a thing, my guild always pushed Mythic, and generally got halfway through before nerfs.

15+ Year Old Account
    My raid team is kind of in this boat. We started in normal NH. We then moved on to heroic. We're now doing carries for our guild members through heroic. Most of us have no interest in mythic. Honestly, at this point in my life, really hardcore raiding no longer appeals to me. I did it for years and it just causes burnout. We'd constantly be replaces members throughout tiers when they reached their breaking points and honestly I'd rather just have fun playing with my friends then get a title these days.

Of course they exist. Our guild is like this. Most of us cleared heroic in Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria (when "heroic" was "mythic"). Now there are organizational issues:

- Need 20 people; used to only need 10 in Cataclysm and MoP.

- PuG-unfriendly lockout mechanism (making it hard to PuG mythic).

So most of us consider "mythic" like an invalid difficulty - a bit like a bug in the game - and we just do heroic.

I think many guilds are like this. For the most part, "mythic" seems to be about having a leader and officers who are willing to deal with filling a larger roster, and working around challenges with pugging. This is not small-guild-friendly, and from our perspective, has little to do with gameplay. Until this is made more reasonable, we simply perceive "mythic" as an invalid option, and generally disapprove of it as a gimmick.

Another guild with other people I've played with is like that as well. Able to clear heroic 2nd or 3rd week it's out, but not willing to deal with the organizational issues of "mythic".
    Last edited by Elodeon; 2017-05-14 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    On low pop servers, what you described first totally exist. Few weeks to clear Heroic, not enough people to do Mythic. So they grind Heroic and never do Mythics.
    or plenty of people on the server to do mythics but they are all spread out between 72 guilds. there should be a cap on guilds per server.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    Of course they exist. Our guild is like this. Most of us cleared heroic in Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria (when "heroic" was "mythic"). Now there are organizational issues:

- Need 20 people; used to only need 10 in Cataclysm and MoP.

- PuG-unfriendly lockout mechanism (making it hard to PuG mythic).

So we consider "mythic" an invalid difficulty, and we just do heroic.

I think many guilds are like this. For the most part, "mythic" seems to be about having a leader and officers who are willing to deal with the extra trouble: filling a larger roster, and working around challenges with pugging. From our perspective, these obstacles have little to do with gameplay. Until this is made more reasonable, we simply perceive "mythic" as an invalid option, and are saying "no" to this particular gimmick.
    much like you say. mythic invalidates itself by being the only difficulty that does not have cross server and flexible funtionality.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I am exactly in such a guild, running through heroic in less than 90 minutes after the reset and then twiddling thumbs for the rest of the week, simply because we lack the manpower to have 20 raiders available at the same time and generally we don't feel anymore the increased time needed to clear (or simply progress) mythic is worth the effort.